Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:32:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Re-loaded Bitcoin software but don't know how to integrate saved wallet  (Read 2359 times)
Dashwood (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 01:12:43 AM

It's been an hour and still only one connection...ugh!  why is this so difficult??

difficult ... ? don't think so  Wink

Google?  How do you think I got this far : ))  actually I Binged....Deepceleron..I changed the port in the Bitcoin app...Settins>Options>Proxy...changed the port from something else to 8333...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 01:19:27 AM

The Windows firewall is allowing Bitcoin...there were several..I assume from the multiple downloads....Bitcoin has been running for over 7 hours and still only one connection and zero blocks...Huh  tearing my hair out!  Sorry I'm such an idiot...dot matrix printers were high tech when I was in high school so I didn't take computers too seriously...Fine Arts major at University..you get the picture
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 01:23:50 AM

It's been an hour and still only one connection...ugh!  why is this so difficult??

difficult ... ? don't think so  Wink

Google?  How do you think I got this far : ))  actually I Binged....Deepceleron..I changed the port in the Bitcoin app...Settins>Options>Proxy...changed the port from something else to 8333...

glad to hear that and btw you just told us what you did wrong there... pls disable the proxy option completely if you're not connecting through such a service to internet

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:03:02 AM

?  I am connecting through the internet
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 01:50:46 PM

?  I am connecting through the internet

ack, i meant this
I changed the port in the Bitcoin app...Settins>Options>Proxy...changed the port from something else to 8333...
Don't change that option in the client, disable like it was in the first place, if you don't use a proxy to connect to Internet.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 09:44:37 PM

proxy?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 10:13:07 PM

This whole computer thing might be dangerous for you. I am reminded of an experience attempting to train a computer operator who was hired because she was a friend of the boss. The person clearly had never seen a spreadsheet before, and was quite incorrigible to comprehend new information.
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 11:37:26 PM

look clearly I don't know much about this and I think I've been pretty clear about that...I simply asked for help...you don't have to give it if you don't want...insults are unnecessary and reveal more about the giver than the receiver.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 12:05:44 AM

look clearly I don't know much about this and I think I've been pretty clear about that...I simply asked for help...you don't have to give it if you don't want...insults are unnecessary and reveal more about the giver than the receiver.

pls calm down ppl, deepceleron  obviously thinked out loud but wanted to help you from the start like i did, pls forgive him.

How's the connection issues going ? And sorry, forgot to link on what a proxy server is. On a normal connection to internet that option is not used but is there to enable anybody be more anonymous when he desires Wink

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 12:29:04 AM

In the Bitcoin options, these are the best options for you:

☐ Start Bitcoin on system startup
☑ Minimize to the tray instead of the taskbar
☑ Map port using UPNP
☐ Minimize to the tray on close
☐ Connect through socks4 proxy

After verifying and pressing "OK", close and restart Bitcoin.

If it still doesn't connect, one other file might be causing problems, addr.dat in the user directory could be corrupted. That is the file that contains a list of other Bitcoin computers on the Internet. Closing Bitcoin, deleting this file, and restarting Bitcoin could solve such a problem.
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 02:29:49 AM

Thanks Paraipan and Deepceleron...that last bit of advice seems to have done the trick..the connections and blocks are going up and up...hopefully my wallet will fill soon...I truly appreciate your assistance...I'm sorry for being "snappy"..I was as frustrated as I'm sure you were getting with me...crossing fingers this is the fix...again, sincerest thanks...
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 03:16:22 AM

so everything was going swimingly...then the computer shut down...I rebooted and now I'm back to the same old blkindex error...?  wth?  I tried searching for it by the %app.data% and it's not found...shoot me!!!
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 03:23:59 AM

so I found the files I needed to delete (blkindex and the other one) and the app is back up...unfortunately it has to starf from zero again...ugh...any ideas on why the computer would just turn itself off like that...and revert to past settings..restore deleted files, etc.?
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 12:37:57 PM

so I found the files I needed to delete (blkindex and the other one) and the app is back up...unfortunately it has to starf from zero again...ugh...any ideas on why the computer would just turn itself off like that...and revert to past settings..restore deleted files, etc.?

glad to hear you fixed it, now this is another different question...
you can the link in my signature to tip me and will gladly give you more assistance Wink

Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 02:21:16 PM

you bet...as soon as I get into my wallet..my computer overheated...it's been running all weekend..so just before I reached all the blocks it shut down...I nearly stroked out...hopefully keeping it powered down all last night and today I'll finally get them all downloaded this evening..stay tuned...
Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 07:03:47 AM

tonight I thought I was finally going to make it...got up to 144K and then crash...had to restart windows...and have to start over with the blocks but am wondering if that isn't what's causing the crash?  Thoughts?  GD this is frustrating...if I ever get access again I'm transferring those mfing coins to another wallet and never using Bitcoin.crap again...
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2011, 03:38:02 PM

Just a note, if your computer is spontaneously crashing or rebooting, then you likely have a hardware problem. I wouldn't store my money on such a system until it is fixed.

If the computer is fine until you run the CPU hard for a while (such as processing downloaded Bitcoin blocks), it could be a hardware fault as simple as a bad CPU fan. Download and run a burn-in stress test like OCCT on your computer overnight. The power supply test in this program will work your system hard, and likely crash it if there is a problem.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2011, 03:50:59 PM

Agreed, sounds like something is wrong with your computer.  Could be as simple as blowing out the dust and cleaning any filters, dust is great at trapping heat. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 06:06:48 PM

As they said, if your computer is crashing then you have serious problems not related to bitcoin that you need to fix.

Dashwood (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 01:11:30 AM

thanks all for the advice..pretty sure it's overheating...cleaning the fan and getting a cooling pad...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: