Bitcoin Forum
August 04, 2024, 11:21:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Windows Defender a good standalone solution?  (Read 158 times)
UnitedNot (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 30, 2019, 06:50:58 PM

The hard drive on my laptop died a few days ago and I received a replacement disk today. I have not installed any AV software and would like to know by someone knowledgeable if the Windows Defender is good enough and recommended to be used?

If not I was thinking of using Avast as it is relatively light on system resources.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150

₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(

View Profile
June 30, 2019, 08:32:33 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2019, 09:25:28 PM by iasenko
Merited by OgNasty (1)

No matter what AV software you have if you don't have enough understanding what can be dangerous to open you will never be safe.
I've been using Avast for more then 10 years now, and I have never experienced any problems. Stick with it and use your Common Sense and you will be fine Smiley

Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3132

View Profile
June 30, 2019, 09:11:38 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2019, 09:22:20 PM by BitCryptex
Merited by OgNasty (1)

I had used Windows Defender for a long time and I had never been infected. However, I am really cautious when it comes to downloading files from the Internet. I have recently switched to Malwarebytes Premium and I am satisfied with its real time protection, especially the web one.
boyptc

Activity: 3080
Merit: 681

View Profile
June 30, 2019, 11:02:07 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

I had used Windows Defender for a long time and I had never been infected. However, I am really cautious when it comes to downloading files from the Internet.
Just like me, I have my setup until now which is 2 years old and have windows 10 installed on it. I didn't installed any AV but relied on windows defender.

Knowingly on how you are easy to be penetrated by those viruses depends on your usage. I don't download random files as well specially those TOR files.

I have recently switched to Malwarebytes Premium and I am satisfied with its real time protection, especially the web one.
Been hearing good reviews on Malwarebytes, I might try this on my 2nd setup.
h4na

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 01, 2019, 04:34:41 AM

If you have Windows 10 and keep your Windows updated, Windows Defender is the best and simplest solution.

Please don't bother downloading any unnecessary  AV programs, most of them just make it worse.   Cry

I never had any problems with Windows Defender, I get furious when people tell me they NEED a Anti Virus Program!  Grin

I had used Windows Defender for a long time and I had never been infected. However, I am really cautious when it comes to downloading files from the Internet.
Just like me, I have my setup until now which is 2 years old and have windows 10 installed on it. I didn't installed any AV but relied on windows defender.

Knowingly on how you are easy to be penetrated by those viruses depends on your usage. I don't download random files as well specially those TOR files.

I have recently switched to Malwarebytes Premium and I am satisfied with its real time protection, especially the web one.

Malwarebytes is a good program, also the only 3rd Party program I would ever scan my PC with really. You should try it!

Kind regards
boyptc

Activity: 3080
Merit: 681

View Profile
July 01, 2019, 05:03:46 PM

Malwarebytes is a good program, also the only 3rd Party program I would ever scan my PC with really. You should try it!

Kind regards
Yes it does.

One of the most recommended AV ever and I've heard that taking premium is worth it.
UnitedNot (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 11:45:51 AM

Many members say good things about Malwarebytes so I will scan my PC with it from time to time.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: