Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:23:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet encryption bug found (IMPORTANT!)  (Read 30594 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 09:57:20 PM
Merited by ABCbits (4)

A serious bug was been found in the "encrypt wallet" function of bitcoin versions 0.4 and 0.5: private keys may be left unencrypted in the wallet.dat file after encryption.

If your encrypted 0.4 wallet file is stolen, an attacker may be able to recover some or all of your private keys and steal some or all of your bitcoins.

The development team has been working on fixes for bitcoin versions 0.4 and 0.5, but it will take at least a few days to test them thoroughly. Until they are available, you should assume that your 'encrypted' wallets are as vulnerable as an unencrypted wallet, and follow all the best practices for keeping them safe (see here for a list).

It is embarrassing and astonishing that this critical a bug was not caught before the 0.4 release; constructive suggestions on how to improve the testing and release processes that do not assume access to hundreds of thousands of dollars of funds to hire security consultants or QA teams are welcome. Getting sufficient testing of code BEFORE it is released has been a chronic problem for this project.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 10:09:43 PM

Very much appreciate the notice, Gavin. Thank you!
coinjedi

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 10:19:04 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. We appreciate your hard work.

Bets of Bitcoin
http://betsofbitco.in/
graingert

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 11:22:08 PM

This issue can be "worked around" by generating a new address and sending all bitcoin there.

You should also remember to change all existing static addresses left on the web

*Image Removed*
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 11:29:48 PM

constructive suggestions on how to improve the testing and release processes ... are welcome.

How was this particular bug discovered?  That might help us formulate strategies for catching similar problems going forward.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 11:37:42 PM

Just a wild idea; but Google and others give bounties for security bugs that are submitted. Perhaps we could set up a small fund, and pay anyone who finds critical bugs in beta versions?

graingert

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 11:38:04 PM

constructive suggestions on how to improve the testing and release processes ... are welcome.

How was this particular bug discovered?  That might help us formulate strategies for catching similar problems going forward.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51474.0

*Image Removed*
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 12:00:42 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

This issue can be "worked around" by generating a new address and sending all bitcoin there.
That's not quite right-- you need to exhaust all of the keys in your 'key pool' to be safe, so you'd have to ask for 101 new keys.

Part of the fix is marking all of the keys in the keypool as used.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
graingert

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 12:02:50 AM

That's not quite right-- you need to exhaust all of the keys in your 'key pool' to be safe, so you'd have to ask for 101 new keys.

This fix should be back-ported to version 0.4.0

*Image Removed*
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 12:06:42 AM

This fix should be back-ported to version 0.4.0
It will be, for bitcoind at least. If someone wants to step up to maintain wxBitcoin, contact me (or join #bitcoin-stable on FreeNode).

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 12:08:40 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Features seem to be considered stable way too quickly. I'd like a version scheme like this:
- Add new features to 0.5.
- At some point, stop adding new features to 0.5 and call that the "unstable" release. Start adding new features to 0.6.
- 0.4 remains the "stable" release for at least 6 months, and it is recommend that newbies use this version. The unstable version is also available in binary form and can be easily used.
- Once 0.5 has been unstable for 6+ months, call that one stable.
- As many past 0.x releases as possible continue to get bugfixes for people who like to use really stable software.

I'm still using 0.3.19, and it works fine with only a few modifications. I avoided several bugs by doing this.

Once this problem is fixed, it would be a good idea to issue an alert for users of affected versions. Maybe not many users are affected, but it seems irresponsible to not notify these users when they can be notified.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 12:32:09 AM

Thank you for this information! Shocked

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:12:05 AM

No intention to offend somebody, but this is FAIL. How such thing is possible? My solution - change wallet.dat format. First bits - wallet! identification string, next bits - wallet format version, next bit - encrypted or not. Every next bit is encrypted similar to truecrypt volume, and have included checks for correctness of supplied password. The wallet.dat file is decrypted on-the-fly as it is acessed by bitcoin software. The only inconvinience is that the wallet password must be supplied every time when starting bitcoin client, not only when sending coins.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:14:45 AM

The only inconvinience is that the wallet password must be supplied every time when starting bitcoin client, not only when sending coins.
Which totally defeats the purpose of wallet encryption. If you're going to do it that way, you might as well just encrypt on backup only (which would be a very nice feature anyway...)

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:24:02 AM

Meanwhile, Zipping with encryption still works perfectly.....
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:26:21 AM

The only inconvinience is that the wallet password must be supplied every time when starting bitcoin client, not only when sending coins.
Which totally defeats the purpose of wallet encryption. If you're going to do it that way, you might as well just encrypt on backup only (which would be a very nice feature anyway...)
The encryption of only private keys are no solution either. Just wait until victim sends the coins to someone, then recover the password using keylogger. It can only protect against trivial attacks such as grabbing the wallet.dat file right away. There is no real way of securing the wallet.dat file on compromised computer. But if I use encryption, I would like the whole wallet.dat to be encrypted, so even if shit hits the fan and my wallet.dat is leaked, all my adresses are not disclosed to attacker.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 04:10:26 AM

It is embarrassing and astonishing that this critical a bug was not caught before the 0.4 release; constructive suggestions on how to improve the testing and release processes that do not assume access to hundreds of thousands of dollars of funds to hire security consultants or QA teams are welcome. Getting sufficient testing of code BEFORE it is released has been a chronic problem for this project.
I guess the opaqueness of the wallet data file prevents people from having a poke around and reading it.

Binary formats are efficient for the computer, but they aren't very transparent and actively discourage casual reading by curious users. If the wallet were in XML, JSON or some other text-based format then I guess this would have been immediately obvious to anyone with a text editor and a pair of eyes.
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:16:30 AM

"Thanks for all your hard work!" is not good enough. IMO, You guys need to figure out an organized way to fund Gavin's work.  

When he says, "It is embarrassing and astonishing that this critical a bug was not caught before the 0.4 release...Getting sufficient testing of code BEFORE it is released has been a chronic problem for this project..."

...That is developer-speak for, "I need better Q/A volunteers or I need funding to pay for them, and it's embarrassing that I even have to say this in the first place when I should be focused on my code right now."

Support your guy.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
Fluttershy

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 06:08:57 AM

"Doesn't actually do what it's supposed to" is an embarrassing bug. It might've even encouraged people to not bother putting their wallet in some kind of encryption.

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 06:27:09 AM

A serious bug was been found in the "encrypt wallet" function of bitcoin versions 0.4 and 0.5: private keys may be left unencrypted in the wallet.dat file after encryption.

If your encrypted 0.4 wallet file is stolen, an attacker may be able to recover some or all of your private keys and steal some or all of your bitcoins.

The development team has been working on fixes for bitcoin versions 0.4 and 0.5, but it will take at least a few days to test them thoroughly. Until they are available, you should assume that your 'encrypted' wallets are as vulnerable as an unencrypted wallet, and follow all the best practices for keeping them safe (see here for a list).

Would it be possible to leverage the ability of major community stake holders (Mt. Gox, Pool Operators) to incentivize or encourage activity on the testnet for new builds?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: