Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:23:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Im over it with Altcoins.....  (Read 3094 times)
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:39:46 PM

Is anyone else with me on this?
Im on the verge of selling my mining rig, power costs are too expensive for the return...
I have wasted alot of time mining mintcoin, digibyte and vertcoin, i think i should have just stuck with dogecoin, since i have more faith in this coin than any others.

I still get mixed views on NXT coin, i want to exchange what ive got with whatever will be the most likely successor to bitcoin.

I just cant get over the amount of crapcoins being introduced every day, its enough to make me loose interest in the whole thing altogether.
Is there any other coin i should have a crack at before ditching my rig?

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:45:50 PM

Capitulating eh???  Good for you.  People who can hack it don't people who can't do.  It you don't have the wherewithal for business then you probably will not hack it in cryptos.  So good luck on your future endeavours.  Maybe you will find the thing that make you hit it big.
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:48:42 PM

why can't every coin be like bitcoin. $1000 at first hr it came out  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:04:08 AM

I can't get over every coin you mentioned is a newbie scam crapcoin.....
lasciv

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:08:54 AM

when the going gets tough, the tough get going.. you pussy!

Kiss
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:53:12 AM

I can't get over every coin you mentioned is a newbie scam crapcoin.....
Well NXT could very well be a crap coin, but if NXT is crap, then all the altcoins are crap.
NXT has alot going for it, its just the distribution of it that wasnt fair.

I dont get why people think quark is going to be so successful, digibyte is virtually instant as is NXT.
If i could predict the future, it would be nice, but all the advice on the coins varys so much here mainly because alot of people are so biased towards a particular currency.
Im mining doge again for the meantime i guess i feel like giving up because my mates have chucked in their rigs.

lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:58:43 AM

stop hunting for new alts then. concentrate on what you have and support

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:59:49 AM

its just the distribution of it that wasnt fair.

well thats a big enough part to ensure most of this niche crypto community wont go for it, and to those outside crypto its got even less going for it.
Zombier0

Activity: 435
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:05:01 AM

Minę SUN it will profit soon

wallstreetcoiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:05:41 AM

Is there any other coin i should have a crack at before ditching my rig?

You should look into mining Goldcoin (GLD) and holding through the summer.
yellow564

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:17:57 AM

ok very good Roll Eyes
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:29:24 AM

alt coins are ways to get bitcoins until the day they aren't

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Mad Scientist

Activity: 223

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:38:07 AM

alt coins are ways to get bitcoins until the day they aren't
^This^
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:48:39 AM

Ive been mining them mainly to pump and dump if they rise in value, since i dont have much hashing power ive been careful what ive been mining, since ive been mining the most profitable coins and then keeping them to exchange for better coins.
90% of the altcoins are just litecoin clones with an adjusted block time and number of coins issued.
As much as i like bitcoin, i can see it needs major room for improvement and transaction speed is one of those things that needs improving.
It would be great to see all these developers work together to bring a decent currency that can replace credit cards or EFTPOS.
It also has to be easy to use.
I dont think that a currency with a huge number of coins is a bad thing, since if we want a global coin, we really eventually need hundreds of billions of coins or else they will be over inflated like bitcoin and breaking something down into smaller units isnt really that appealing.
If there was a way to slowly release this many coins as the currency was adpoted is the key in controlling the inflation, as is regulating the hashing power so that it will not be impossible to mine in the future.
NXT has alot of advantages as mining is not required to keep the thing running, and i think this is a major advantage over other coins.
I liked the idea of mint coin as it is a POS coin that lets you mine it at the start. Its good to see another coin that was build from scratch and not just a litecoin/bitcoin clone. I see there is another fork of NXT, but again, only those that registered and paid a certian amount got the first block of coins, it really makes me wonder if the developers did it for quick cash.

All i know is at the end of this year most of these altcoins should have died, its crazy seeing a new one pop up every day with no real advantage over another.

I think that in december the major coins will be bitcoin, litecoin, doge, quark, peercoin, NXT

Goldcoin may very well be a good coin to mine, however other coins are more profitable, so exchanging my digibyte for them would be a better idea i guess.

Maybe i should just exchange all my coins for bitcoin and face that bitcoin is here to stay? IDK

CR7xMarcelo

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:55:54 AM

If you want the next bitcoin you should stick with a coin that looks promising for the long term, not just another pump and dump.
For me that is Noblecoin, unlike pump and dump coins it has a public ledger from the beginning that shows how much of the premine has been spent and for what. Now it has its own marketplace where you can purchase products with btc and Noble (you get discount if you use Noble)

Find the coin you have faith in for the long term and stick to it.

Oztwinpeaks

Activity: 133

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:51:24 AM

Ive been mining them mainly to pump and dump if they rise in value, since i dont have much hashing power ive been careful what ive been mining, since ive been mining the most profitable coins and then keeping them to exchange for better coins.
90% of the altcoins are just litecoin clones with an adjusted block time and number of coins issued.
As much as i like bitcoin, i can see it needs major room for improvement and transaction speed is one of those things that needs improving.
It would be great to see all these developers work together to bring a decent currency that can replace credit cards or EFTPOS.
It also has to be easy to use.
I dont think that a currency with a huge number of coins is a bad thing, since if we want a global coin, we really eventually need hundreds of billions of coins or else they will be over inflated like bitcoin and breaking something down into smaller units isnt really that appealing.
If there was a way to slowly release this many coins as the currency was adpoted is the key in controlling the inflation, as is regulating the hashing power so that it will not be impossible to mine in the future.
NXT has alot of advantages as mining is not required to keep the thing running, and i think this is a major advantage over other coins.
I liked the idea of mint coin as it is a POS coin that lets you mine it at the start. Its good to see another coin that was build from scratch and not just a litecoin/bitcoin clone. I see there is another fork of NXT, but again, only those that registered and paid a certian amount got the first block of coins, it really makes me wonder if the developers did it for quick cash.

All i know is at the end of this year most of these altcoins should have died, its crazy seeing a new one pop up every day with no real advantage over another.

I think that in december the major coins will be bitcoin, litecoin, doge, quark, peercoin, NXT

Goldcoin may very well be a good coin to mine, however other coins are more profitable, so exchanging my digibyte for them would be a better idea i guess.

Maybe i should just exchange all my coins for bitcoin and face that bitcoin is here to stay? IDK

Look, I'm not a miner, so my perspective is slightly different. Bitcoin is certainly here to stay- and in terms of financial gain- there is plenty more upside remaining. I think that people get clouded by the promise of 1000% returns or what have you- the reality is that if you get a 20% on the regular stock market you're doing very well. My advice would simply to mine what you believe in for the long haul- and get away from the pump and dump philosophy. It's not about making a quick buck today, it's about investing in a coin as a long term venture- as a miner, user, or buyer you are supporting different parts of its ecosystem. There are probably a limited amount of coins that are here for the long haul- mine or trade for the ones that you believe- and trade at least some into BTC.
My philosophy, rightly or wrongly, is to put around 60% into BTC, 30% into LTC, and 10% into other alts. Over time I am simply looking to accumulate into my portfolio and look for buying opportunities. I bought LTC relatively early and I believe that for at least the mid-term future the future is bright with the likely-hood of large exchange adoption. With other alts I am simply risking what I can afford to loose- I like PPC, NMC, XPM, NXT, plus five or so others- but I can't say for certain what will succeed- instead I have a small portion of each and if any do 'succeed' I will have done pretty well.
I believe that on forums like this we talk about technical innovations and improvements- but if you take a bigger picture view, that's only half the story- what is just as important is spreading adoption amongst the masses, and in this sense there are coins (and the people affiliated with them) that already have a huge head-start.
I think that you should keep mining, but try to take a longer view on things- mine what you believe in, and hold (and trade) for the long-term.

lamontweaver

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 03:05:50 AM

You will be missed, whoever you were.

activecoin

Activity: 140

Just Do It!

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:44:40 AM

Mine coins that are supporting BTC, Bitcoin is not going away and only coins that protect its success are going to climb with it, there will be no replacement.

MadCow

Activity: 655

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:51:09 AM

Follow this - a mining pool that targets profitable POW coins, then sells the alt coins to buy NXT, then distributes the NXT  to the miners.

Use your POW mining rig to generate NXT, the premier POS coin - cool idea!!

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,4399.0.html
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 05:32:36 AM

That's the nature of altcoins. In order for one to really blow up and make you a lot of money, 50 more people have to lose money with some other alt coins. It's very high risk, very high reward. That's why I've decided to stay out of the altcoin market, I think it's too much risk, stress and worry. Well that and I don't really have any belief or interest in them outside the possibility of making a lot of money. Whereas I actually believe in bitcoin and the freedom it can give people from banks and governments.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: