Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:32:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Too hot to mine bitcoin?  (Read 165 times)
Tiramani (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 01:44:52 AM

Here in Las Vegas NV it will be 106F on Friday. It regularly gets this hot. Is it too hot to mine bitcoin? For example https://shop.bitmain.com/product/detail?pid=00020190523094505293o4NeN5iR068F

The specs on the S17 say max "operation temp" 40C

I can maybe affordably lower the temp with an evaporative cooler, or might be better off just venting to outside?
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2019, 02:53:27 AM

Here in Las Vegas NV it will be 106F on Friday. It regularly gets this hot. Is it too hot to mine bitcoin? For example https://shop.bitmain.com/product/detail?pid=00020190523094505293o4NeN5iR068F

The specs on the S17 say max "operation temp" 40C

I can maybe affordably lower the temp with an evaporative cooler, or might be better off just venting to outside?

I am in Texas so I have somewhat similar temps. My answer is no, it is not too hot to mine BTC with ASICs. If you search for posts by me you'll see some different things I've done to deal with the heat. The biggest thing is to ensure that the miners do not ingest their own waste heat. My S9s mine happily when room temps are 40 deg C no problem. Besides airflow the latest firmware settings allow you to down-clock the miner which is very helpful in the heat.

BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2974

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2019, 08:44:55 PM

That's too hot it's the same as in my country but you can still mine with this miner just make sure that the miner is inside in your house not indirect heat in the sun and let the hot air out with exhaust to keep your room cool like the above said "do not ingest their own waste heat"

Not recommended it is not a good cooler for miner due to humidity(moist). it may damage the miner exhaust fan is enough to take hot air out from the room.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2019, 02:26:45 PM

That's too hot it's the same as in my country but you can still mine with this miner just make sure that the miner is inside in your house not indirect heat in the sun and let the hot air out with exhaust to keep your room cool like the above said "do not ingest their own waste heat"

Not recommended it is not a good cooler for miner due to humidity(moist). it may damage the miner exhaust fan is enough to take hot air out from the room.

Might work if you keep humidity under 70%, as long as the air from the cooler is not too cool (don't go under 25°C) because if you inject cold air there is a thermal shock when it enters the hot asic miner condensation occurs (becomes wet), and you don't want water short circuiting stuff inside...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: [1]
  Print