Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:29:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you see the blockchain being used to register votes in general elections?  (Read 9357 times)
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 11:33:53 AM

It might be more fair than some of the current voting machines.

hehe Indeed Smiley

Joseph Stalin told that "No matter who is voting. Matter who is counting the votes"
pizza_lord (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:03:59 PM

Best part is anyone could audit the chain and verify the votes were cast as prescribed. Hell the more I think about this it is a great idea. Only problem is how would you keep people from voting multiple times?

How do you stop bitcoins being spent multiple times?
MWD64

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 09:44:42 PM

hehe Indeed Smiley

Joseph Stalin told that "No matter who is voting. Matter who is counting the votes"

That's accurate, from the point of view of the tyrant.

But from the viewpoint of the voter, what are your real choices now? A Democrat baby killer who wants to control everything including the Internet, or a Republican baby killer who wants to control everything including the Internet.

Check out and use The BipCot NoGov license
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:45:58 PM

hehe Indeed Smiley

But from the viewpoint of the voter, what are your real choices now? A Democrat baby killer who wants to control everything including the Internet, or a Republican baby killer who wants to control everything including the Internet.

Bitcoin controlled by me and you  Grin
WesandEAC

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:17:45 AM

Yes, absolutely. There are several ways to go about this.

We are working on implementing a voting system directly into the DigiByte wallet. Votes will be broadcast through the block-chain and tallied in the next block for everyone to see. This is how we want to gauge what to work on next for development. True community decisions.

Now if we could figure out out to combine this with a decentralized exchange.... life would be perfect. If anyone would like to work on this we have a few ideas we have been kicking around. We have an idea to use the wallet as a background escrow for a decentralized market. Think we figured out how to do it with BTC/DGB. But how would you do decentralized with FIAT? ... Would be ripe for abuse. But yes, block chain in theory could be used to register votes for a general election.

Best part is anyone could audit the chain and verify the votes were cast as prescribed. Hell the more I think about this it is a great idea. Only problem is how would you keep people from voting multiple times?

Remember my friend there is a big misconception in the community about decentralized exchanges or mechanisms.  The vehicle can ALWAYS be a decentralized mechanism but the mode of connectivity must ALWAYS be centralized.  The idea is astounding and it will undoubtedly be the future but it must be administered by a central authority.  Nothing will be 100% tamper proof however this model will reduce fraud ALOT!  Each person's ID just as voting works now would be required to vote.  Again this is not where most of the fraud occurs.

The distributed asset ledger of votes would be regarded by all and when real time forensics in instituted fraud would be greatly reduced.  The future is definitely here.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 01:58:50 PM

hehe Indeed Smiley

Indeed you are right.
And this is a problem with democracy -democracy means that citizens should have a gov that they desire and they want (most of them).

And it turnover a long time ago into - gov have the power and they are master of puppets - where puppets are people.
It should be other way round.
JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 03:38:18 PM

It pains me that we as "advanced" humans can't even count correctly when voting. The vote systems on this planet fucking suck. And are completely manipulated.

I believe that a blockchain technology voting system could easily work to remove the corruption, and make it so that we humans can actually count.

Currently
For a US general election you register to vote, show up and they give you a ballet. You fill it out and return it to them. They then "count" it behind closed doors leaving 1/2 million ways to tweak the count.

The machines for the current system exists as a patchwork of proprietary hardware owned and run by companies often from other countries. This system has produced thousands of anomalies every single election.
 (I have 0 faith in the voting system in the US, no confidence, we NEED a change)

A way for it to work.

For a US general election you register to vote, show up, and they give you a random vote token (alt coin of some kind). You then spend/send the token to the candidates wallet you support. You leave. A blockchain explorer then can allow transparent checking in on the votes cast as well as realtime ballot totals. (gasp, non of this wait and wait shit for some tweaked vote).

The blockchain that runs the election is open source, so it can be vetted. Nodes running the blockchain have to be registered, so there shouldn't be a 51% attack as this system is closed to the public.

Tokens(coins) are premined based on the number of registerd voters.

JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 03:46:45 PM

Fucking VOTECOIN, Helping humans count correctly.

an open source , transparent voting system.

a coin for counting votes.
a technology for elections.

A kick in the butt to power hungry, morally dead, barely human politicians.

This system would have sent W Bush back to his shithole ranch to clear away brush.
MWD64

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 06:21:09 PM

It pains me that we as "advanced" humans can't even count correctly when voting. The vote systems on this planet fucking suck. And are completely manipulated....

It pains me that "advanced" humans think they need leaders.

MWD

MWD64

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 06:41:44 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 07:00:30 PM by MWD64

It pains me that we as "advanced" humans can't even count correctly when voting. The vote systems on this planet fucking suck. And are completely manipulated.

I believe that a blockchain technology voting system could easily work to remove the corruption, and make it so that we humans can actually count.

I think it's sad (and dangerous) that you want to use a completely decentralized and voluntary system to decide how you install centralized aggression-based "leadership."

JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:18:38 PM

I think it's sad (and dangerous) that you want to use a completely decentralized and voluntary system to decide how you install centralized aggression-based "leadership."

Look, I'm sorry for swearing but vote machines and system and their hack-ability really irk my girkin.

So Don't be an ass buddy. I'm not trying to fix every problem and build a Utopian society. I'm advocating for an open source, transparent voting system.

LET me put it in an easier to understand format.

The current voting system is fucking rigged!!!
A transparent opens source system such as a blockchain technology might, just might, be a little bit more fair and accurate.
JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:21:28 PM

In case anyone wants to research this issue

http://blackboxvoting.org/
JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:22:34 PM

If someone makes some kind of votecoin and gets those guys to promote it then you've got yourself a weinner.
MWD64

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 07:42:14 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 08:02:59 PM by MWD64

So Don't be an ass buddy.

= MWD64 should shut up and accept that he needs to be forced to do things and will be thrown into a cage for violating things that a bunch of corrupt idiots scribble on paper because a bunch of other people gave them power.

I'm not being an ass. I'm rejecting the idea of leaders. Democracy is 51% tyrannizing 49%. Democracy is two wolves and a cat voting on what to have for lunch.

If I'd described the idea of the blockchain to you six years ago, and I'd said "We don't need money! We don't need PayPal or credit cards!" you'd probably have called me an ass.

I'm saying that you (and anyone else wanting to "fix democracy" with the blockchain) are "thinking inside the box" with a totally outside-the-box technology. Voting is so last century. Why try to burden new things with old models.

OK, so Bush wasn't "Democratically elected" the second time around. And he was a tyrant. Was Obama Democratically elected? Probably. And that guy kills kids by droning wedding parties. He even killed an American teenager for no good reason at all:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/how-team-obama-justifies-the-killing-of-a-16-year-old-american/264028/

Obama also wants to have total control over the Internet. Bush would have, if he'd really understood what the Internet was.

Do you think that streamlining the process for putting these psychos in power will change any of this?

The US also has a long history of unseating democratically elected leaders around the world to install their own puppet "leaders." That will NOT stop as long as people are backing the system by trying to "streamline the process." You're only improving the flow of murder, theft, fraud and aggression. The US isn't the only nation to do this. Not by a long shot.

Election fraud? Elected officials, ALL of them, EXIST to do theft and fraud. That's their job description. That is what government is.

Lots of politicians from both the left and the right currently want to outlaw Bitcoin. Do you think that streamlining the process for putting them in power will change that?

Anyway, I "voted" with my voice on this, by making it the topic of my radio show on 20 stations with over 100,000 listeners today:

Using Decentralized Technology To Choose Centralized Leadership Is So SQUARE! — Freedom Feens live radio archive
Show archive: http://freedomfeens.com/ViXQ

Stations we're on:
http://www.freedomfeens.com/radio/

MWD

pizza_lord (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:59:49 PM

I am a coder.

If anyone wants to work with me to start this project and create it together, let me know.
MWD64

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 08:03:57 PM

I am a coder.

If anyone wants to work with me to start this project and create it together, let me know.

Code a better Namecoin wallet. It will do a lot more good for the world, AND there's somebody offering some coin bounty of like 20 BTC and some NMC or something like that.

JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:10:38 PM

So Don't be an ass buddy.

= MWD64 should shut up and accept that he needs to be forced to do things and will be thrown into a cage for violating things that a bunch of corrupt idiots scribble on paper because a bunch of other people gave them power.

I'm not being an ass. I'm rejecting the idea of leaders. Democracy is 51% tyrannizing 49%. Democracy is two wolves and a cat voting on what to have for lunch.

If I'd described the idea of the blockchain to you six years ago, and I'd said "We don't need money! We don't need PayPal or credit cards!" you'd probably have called me an ass.

I'm saying that you (and anyone else wanting to "fix democracy" with the blockchain) are "thinking inside the box" with a totally outside-the-box technology. Voting is so last century. Why try to burden new things with old models.

OK, so Bush wasn't "Democratically elected" the second time around. And he was a tyrant. Was Obama Democratically elected? Probably. And that guy kills kids by droning wedding parties. He even killed an American teenager for no good reason at all:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/how-team-obama-justifies-the-killing-of-a-16-year-old-american/264028/

Obama also wants to have total control over the Internet. Bush would have, if he'd really understood what the Internet was.

Do you think that streamlining the process for putting these psychos in power will change any of this?

The US also has a long history of unseating democratically elected leaders around the world to install their own puppet "leaders." That will NOT stop as long as people are backing the system by trying to "streamline the process." You're only improving the flow of murder, theft, fraud and aggression. The US isn't the only nation to do this. Not by a long shot.

Election fraud? Elected officials, ALL of them, EXIST to do theft and fraud. That's their job description. That is what government is.

Lots of politicians from both the left and the right currently want to outlaw Bitcoin. Do you think that streamlining the process for putting them in power will change that?

Anyway, I "voted" with my voice on this, by making it the topic of my radio show on 20 stations with over 100,000 listeners today:

Using Decentralized Technology To Choose Centralized Leadership Is So SQUARE! — Freedom Feens live radio archive
Show archive: http://freedomfeens.com/ViXQ

Stations we're on:
http://www.freedomfeens.com/radio/

MWD

I don't think we've had a fair election since JFK and even then didn't dead people vote.
MWD64

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 08:11:47 PM

I don't think we've had a fair election since JFK and even then didn't dead people vote.

He was the last moderately "good" one too, and someone (probably in the government) "voted" against it by murdering him.

You can't "fix" government. Government won't let you.

MWD

MWD64

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 08:14:38 PM

I like your user name. I've described myself as "The Johnny Appleseed of Namecoin."

This is my project: MeowBit, View censorship-resistant Dot-Bit (Namecoin domains) on ANY Browser. NOT a plug-in: http://meowbit.com/

We also did something this week that's never been done with a blockchain:
http://meowbit.com/meowbit-now-with-update-alerts-over-the-blockchain-a-new-feature-for-all-blockchains/

MWD

JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:34:49 PM

He was the last moderately "good" one too, and someone (probably in the government) "voted" against it by murdering him.

You can't "fix" government. Government won't let you.

MWD

That I agree with fellow slave. This is their system after all. They own every dollar bill. It's theirs you are borrowing it. They own the roads, the land, they get a piece of every transaction under threat of gun (mafia ****cough****). They own the legal system and prisons. They manufacture the bulk of the food. They provide us with their medicine. They feed us their thoughts. And like theater we pretend we get a say and vote in the election theater.

So EVEN if we get a votecoin it still would go up against the fucking electoral collage. WTF?? It's their system.

Now on a more local level where the electoral college can go fuck themselves, vote coin might work.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: