Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:53:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet  (Read 559 times)
Singlebyte (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:21:13 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/us-to-relinquish-remaining-control-over-the-internet/2014/03/14/0c7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_print.html

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

Interesting news article. Thanks for sharing it.
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:24:04 PM

I really can't stand anything to do with the ICANN or DNS in general. Why should we all have to live with the choices of any one nation? I've posted a similar speech like 4 times before, but here goes:

This is why we need meshnet. It's like Bitcoin for the internet itself. Here's how cjdns, the best and most popular meshnet software, works:

1. Generate a public (uh3y6p1qdcnfvdrvjq5s39pfrmbz4jf4bjcrzvd6c68zjlq48xp0.k) and private (hidden) key (just like Bitcoin)
2. Your public key goes through a function to become your IP (fc37:81f5:374e:828b:e68f:3a39:3c69:9fe3) (like Bitcoin addresses)
3. Anyone running cjdns can go to your IP and access whatever you're hosting (website, file server, IRC server, Minecrat server, anything else you can do on the internet)
4. Only you (and anyone with your private key, so you keep it secret, just like Bitcoin) can control what's on that IP.
5. Control your own DNS by adding entries to your hosts file. If you don't want to keep pasting fcbf:7bbc:32e4:716:bd00:e936:c927:fc14 into your URL bar in order to go to the website called urlcloud, add the line "fcbf:7bbc:32e4:716:bd00:e936:c927:fc14 urlcloud" to hosts, and just enter "urlcoud" to get to urlcloud.

Meshnet gives individuals power over their usage of the Internet the same way Bitcoin gives individuals power over their usage of their money.

https://projectmeshnet.org/
https://github.com/cjdelisle/cjdns

So far it only works on *NIX (Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, etc), but the devs are working hard to add Windows support.
Singlebyte (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:24:53 PM

What I don't understand is why they would "donate" the control of the internet to someone else?  Tax payer dollars essentially paid for and built the original network and now they are relinquishing something that was built by the US.  Who are they trying to please?  What positive benefit will this accomplish?  Are the going to donate the gps satellite network to the world next?
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 01:55:47 PM

What I don't understand is why they would "donate" the control of the internet to someone else?  Tax payer dollars essentially paid for and built the original network and now they are relinquishing something that was built by the US.  Who are they trying to please?  What positive benefit will this accomplish?  Are the going to donate the gps satellite network to the world next?
I've heard that they are simply trying to soften the effect that Snowden had on foreign affairs. I am not entirely sure on how it's supposed to work, but my guess is that since many other countries such as Brazil bashed the U.S. for spying, they are just trying to get redeemed. Again, not entirely sure ok how it's supposed to work, since they still have the power to spy over people even without ICANN.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's just control of the DNS, not of the internet.

Forever strong.
Singlebyte (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 09:29:10 PM

When U.S. Steps Back, Will Russia and China Control the Internet?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/when-u-s-steps-back-will-russia-and-china-control-the-internet-20140317

Who will leap ahead now and take control?  I see name coin prices going up in the near future!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: