Bitcoin Forum
February 29, 2020, 08:03:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.19.0.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Personal Server on Windows 7  (Read 340 times)
hawktwo

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 02:48:55 PM
Merited by ETFbitcoin (1)

Hi,

Was anybody able to install and run EPS on a Windows 7 machine?
Doesn't seem to work for me, just thought I'd check here to get pointers to the reason.
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1750

Exchange Bitcoin quicky--https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 03:02:26 PM
Merited by ETFbitcoin (1)

The guide on the GitHub repository is for Windows 10 users so, 7 may not be supported.

You can, however, check this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2825916.msg28950183#msg28950183

It's about the wallet but If the error mentioned there is related to Python, then maybe it could be a solution (hard to tell as you didn't give much info).

Alternatively, you could create an issue on the GitHub repo or contact the developer on the forums (inactive for some time).

hawktwo

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 03:25:58 PM

The guide on the GitHub repository is for Windows 10 users so, 7 may not be supported.

You can, however, check this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2825916.msg28950183#msg28950183

It's about the wallet but If the error mentioned there is related to Python, then maybe it could be a solution (hard to tell as you didn't give much info).

Alternatively, you could create an issue on the GitHub repo or contact the developer on the forums (inactive for some time).

Thanks for your reply.
The issue is that after adding Master Public Addresses on a Multi-Sig wallet and entering target for the Bitcoin Directory, when moving the config file onto the .exe app, EPS won't launch at all.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1655

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2019, 08:58:27 AM

"won't launch at all" is not much information at all. Could you be more precise? Error message, anything ?

However, is there a specific reason you want to stick to an outdated and unsecure OS instead of upgrading it to at least have a bit of security?
I, personally, don't see a single reason.

hawktwo

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 03:52:17 PM

"won't launch at all" is not much information at all. Could you be more precise? Error message, anything ?

I'm getting "failed to execute script", with a "missing section header" error. Any idea what this means?

However, is there a specific reason you want to stick to an outdated and unsecure OS instead of upgrading it to at least have a bit of security?
I, personally, don't see a single reason.

No specific reason, just trying to save some time and money. I will no doubt do the upgrade if necessary.
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1839

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 06:28:19 PM

I thought it is no longer a free upgrade. Did you download from the Microsoft website?
I believe it still is free.

Just download Microsoft's tool at: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Choose "Upgrade this PC" when asked what you want to do.

ETFbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2212

Use SegWit and enjoy lower fees.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2019, 07:19:29 PM

The GitHub page doesn't mention any required dependency with supported version, so there's probability you're using outdated version.
Try to upgrade your Python to latest version (AFAIK it's 3.8 now), you can use command python --version to check your Python version.

I thought it is no longer a free upgrade. Did you download from the Microsoft website?
I believe it still is free.

Just download Microsoft's tool at: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Choose "Upgrade this PC" when asked what you want to do.

You can do it even if you use pirated windows, though you'll get watermark with text “This is not a genuine copy of Windows.”

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1655

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2019, 04:41:07 PM

You can do it even if you use pirated windows, though you'll get watermark with text “This is not a genuine copy of Windows.”

Which should not be used at all, regardless of whether it works or not.
All types of cracked windows OS are infected with malware and backdoors. That's their business model.

I wouldn't touch such a system with a stick, let alone store sensitive information (passwords, private keys, etc..) on it.

From an information security based point of view, that's one of the most dangerous things you can do.

ETFbitcoin
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2019, 06:57:06 PM

All types of cracked windows OS are infected with malware and backdoors. That's their business model.

Also applies to original windows OS which done by Microsoft, expect you also might get infected by 3rd-party malware/backdoor who share pirated distribution.

hawktwo

View Profile
July 13, 2019, 07:21:39 PM

Also applies to original windows OS which done by Microsoft, expect you also might get infected by 3rd-party malware/backdoor who share pirated distribution.

Which OS would you recommend to run Electrum multisig wallet on? How does it compare in terms of security to running Windows 10?
ETFbitcoin
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2019, 08:09:32 PM

Which OS would you recommend to run Electrum multisig wallet on? How does it compare in terms of security to running Windows 10?

I'm no expert, but Linux is definitely have better secure system & you actually have some privacy. There are various linux distro & there's no things such as best linux distro, but my recommendation are :
1. Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Manjaro Linux if you're beginner
2. Qubes, ParrotSec or Gentoo (with hardened user/profile) if you have serious privacy or/and security concern. All of them are categorized as niche or difficult OS, so don't expect much help or guide if you're facing problem related with your OS.

hawktwo

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 02:46:27 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2019, 03:33:03 PM by hawktwo

Okay, I would like to get this issue resolved. The Electrum Multisig wallet is working fine but I would like to get Electrum to run on a Bitcoin full node.
I’m offering 1M sats (0.01BTC) to anyone who can get EPS to work on my laptop. Contact me via PM to arrange details.
Here is my setup:

Windows 10
Electrum multisig wallet (version 3.38)
Bitcoin Core (0.18.0) configured to run via TOR
TOR browser (8.5.1)
ETFbitcoin
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2019, 08:18:06 AM

Okay, I would like to get this issue resolved. The Electrum Multisig wallet is working fine but I would like to get Electrum to run on a Bitcoin full node.
I’m offering 1M sats (0.01BTC) to anyone who can get EPS to work on my laptop. Contact me via PM to arrange details.
Here is my setup:

Windows 10
TOR browser (8.5.1)

I've never done it before, but by any chance do you open Tor Browser so Bitcoin Core can use Tor connection? If so, i'd recommend you install Tor as windows service.

You can do it by :
1. Download Windows Expert Bundle from https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/
2. Extract downloaded .zip file
3. Go to extracted folder & open command prompt
4. Run this command
Code:
tor.exe --service install

You might need to configure torcc file manually, but it's more convenient rather than open Tor Browser on every startup.

HCP
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 2270

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 02:59:13 AM

Here is my setup:

Windows 10
TOR browser (8.5.1)
Have you considered trying to use "electrs" instead of EPS? Huh

I have "electrs" running in an Ubuntu instance using the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" inside of Windows 10. I then have Electrum 3.3.8 (Windows 10) connecting to my local "electrs" server using --oneserver and --server localhost:52001:t commandline options.

"electrs" reads the block info from my Bitcoin Core full node install (0.18.0 running in Windows 10).

NOTE: I have not tried this setup using Tor.

chameleon22

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2020, 10:45:58 PM

Here is my setup:

Windows 10
TOR browser (8.5.1)
Have you considered trying to use "electrs" instead of EPS? Huh

I have "electrs" running in an Ubuntu instance using the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" inside of Windows 10. I then have Electrum 3.3.8 (Windows 10) connecting to my local "electrs" server using --oneserver and --server localhost:52001:t commandline options.

"electrs" reads the block info from my Bitcoin Core full node install (0.18.0 running in Windows 10).

NOTE: I have not tried this setup using Tor.

Hi all. I have just set up Ubuntu running on VBOX, and installed Electrs in it. How can I run it (in VBOX, similar to WSL) and have it use Bitcoin core full node running on Windows 10, like you did? I have not installed bitcoind in Ubuntu, just on my Windows 10 as full node.

My goal is to have Electrum (running on WIN10) connect to Electrs server (running on VBOX-Ubuntu) that uses Bitcoind(running as full node on WIN10)

Thank you in advance for any help you can share.
HCP
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2020, 11:11:19 PM

If by "VBOX" you mean Oracle Virtual Box, then I am fairly sure that allows you to create and mount shared drives/folders... you'd need to set up one for either the drive that your Bitcoin Core datadir is on, or for the datadir itself. "electrs" needs to be able to read the Bitcoin Core folder... as you pass it in with the --daemon-dir commandline argument when you start electrs.

WSL appears to have full access to the Windows file system with all my drives available in /mnt (/mnt/c, /mnt/e, /mnt/j for C:, E: and J: etc), so it's very easy... in my case: "--daemon-dir /mnt/e/Bitcoin"

chameleon22

View Profile
January 06, 2020, 11:43:36 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2020, 12:46:20 AM by chameleon22

If by "VBOX" you mean Oracle Virtual Box, then I am fairly sure that allows you to create and mount shared drives/folders... you'd need to set up one for either the drive that your Bitcoin Core datadir is on, or for the datadir itself. "electrs" needs to be able to read the Bitcoin Core folder... as you pass it in with the --daemon-dir commandline argument when you start electrs.

WSL appears to have full access to the Windows file system with all my drives available in /mnt (/mnt/c, /mnt/e, /mnt/j for C:, E: and J: etc), so it's very easy... in my case: "--daemon-dir /mnt/e/Bitcoin"

@HCP Thank you for quick reply.

1. Can I run electrs with my current setup? That includes just Electrum and electrs installed in Ubuntu, but not bitcoin core. I can try using the shared folders of Virtual Box but I am not sure how to start electrs and use the right arguments to tell it to access bitcoin on Windows 10.

What would be the full argument line to run electrs the right way to do that?

2. I can try and work with WSL of course. It can be even better. In that case, could you please tell me what steps I need to follow? What software should I install in WSL? Also, is it possible to copy-paste (move) the full WSL installation to another Windows 10 PC? I would hate to have to do it all again and I need to have this running on 2 PCs.

HCP, again, thank you so much for bothering to get back to me that fast, I now feel I might be able to get it right with your help, if you could help with #1 and #2. All the best to you.

UPDATE: I managed to connect to my Windows 10 bitcoin datadir from within Ubuntu, after I also installed bitcoind in Ubuntu.

Now I am trying to install electrs but when I use:  cargo run --release -- -vvv --timestamp --db-dir ./db --electrum-rpc-addr="127.0.0.1:50001", I get error: could not find `Cargo.toml` in `/home/MYUSER` or any parent directory.

What is that error? I am following the instructions for electrs here: https://github.com/romanz/electrs/blob/master/doc/usage.md
What is the proper way to install and run electrs in Ubuntu? Thank you in advance!!!

HCP
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2020, 03:08:08 AM

What directory are you trying to execute the "cargo run" command from? Based on that error, it seems like you are not in the "electrs" directory, but in your home directory. Huh

After cloning the electrs git, you need to "cd electrs" before you do the "cargo build" and then "cargo run" commands

chameleon22

View Profile
January 07, 2020, 02:43:36 PM

What directory are you trying to execute the "cargo run" command from? Based on that error, it seems like you are not in the "electrs" directory, but in your home directory. Huh

After cloning the electrs git, you need to "cd electrs" before you do the "cargo build" and then "cargo run" commands
Touch down, again. I just entered the command in electrs dir and it started building.

Question... will electrs download/build its own DB now? I guess yes, but will that be about 20-30% of the bitcoin DB?

Also, how about WLS moving it to another PC? is this possible?

Thank you again HCP, will update here with progress and more info, we can all share. Your assistance is great so far.
HCP
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2020, 08:06:13 PM

Question... will electrs download/build its own DB now? I guess yes, but will that be about 20-30% of the bitcoin DB?
Yes, it builds it's own database... my "electrs" dbDir is currently ~56gigs. Note that this in addition to the Bitcoin Core DB (which is currently ~324gigs)... you still need the Bitcoin Core DBs as well! Wink

Also, how about WLS moving it to another PC? is this possible?
Apparently you can... the WSL command (included when you setup WSL within Windows) has an --export command which will export a specified distro to a "tar" file and an --import argument that will allow you to then import that distro to another PC...

Arguments to manage Windows Subsystem for Linux:

--export <DistributionName> <FileName>
        Exports the distribution to a tar file.
        The filename can be - for standard output.

--import <DistributionName> <InstallLocation> <FileName>
        Imports the specified tar file as a new distribution.
        The filename can be - for standard input.

--list, -l [Options]
        Lists distributions.

Options:
            --all
                List all distributions, including distributions that are currently
                being installed or uninstalled.

--running
                List only distributions that are currently running.

NOTE: I have not used this, so I've not experience with actually using it. I'd suggest trying Google for more info.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.