Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:48:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: make install is not working with ubuntu  (Read 249 times)
TheWolf666 (OP)

Activity: 615
Merit: 154

CEO of Metaisland.gg and W.O.K Corp

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2019, 08:17:44 AM
Merited by joniboini (2), LoyceV (1), ABCbits (1)

When I am doing

Code:
make install

Generates a bitcoin-qt (same with bitcoind) that cannot run without installing the dependencies... and the size is way bigger than the bitcoin official distribution ones.

So here is my question, what is applied to bitcoin-qt so that it is so different in the release than the result I get when following the instructions?

Check the pictures. Mine is working when the dependencies are installed, but on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04.2 install I get a segmentation fault.

The bitcoin-qt (and bitcoind) from the release on https://bitcoin.org, is totally different, small, and is working without having to install any dependencies?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 09:00:49 AM
Merited by joniboini (4), bones261 (2), LoyceV (1), ABCbits (1), TheWolf666 (1)

the Bitcoin autogen'ed makefile compiles a static binary, i.e. all dependencies are a part of the final binary executable.

you must have changed something in configure.ac or the makefile, or deleted the bundled 3rd party libs. An untouched bitcoin.git doesn't behave how you're describing, and never has AFAIK

start again, delete the directory and git clone https://github/bitcoin/bitcoin.git

also, use strip bitcoin* on all exectuables you compile to reduce the size of the binaries. They still won't be byte-for-byte identical to the official binaries, you need to use gitian (or guix in future) to get precisely the same binaries as the official ones. strip will only reduce the binary size to a similar value.

all functionality is the same, regardless of whether you use the strip command or not. but, using different version of the 3rd party libraries than those bundled with the Bitcoin repo will result in different behaviour, some 3rd party libs are forks maintained specifically for the Bitcoin project, while others are frozen to an old version to maintain consistent behaviour between Bitcoin nodes of differing versions

if you use different 3rd party libraries, you cannot expect such a Bitcoin node to function correctly (arguably, it isn't even a proper Bitcoin node when you use the wrong 3rd party libs to compile bitcoin source code)

Vires in numeris
TheWolf666 (OP)

Activity: 615
Merit: 154

CEO of Metaisland.gg and W.O.K Corp

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2019, 09:49:19 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2019, 10:34:11 AM by TheWolf666

Thanks for your input...

If I understand you, the compiled original (without the install option) should work on another Unix install without any missing dependencies?
That's not what I get. I will investigate and post the result here. I must have made a mistake.

the Bitcoin autogen'ed makefile compiles a static binary, i.e. all dependencies are a part of the final binary executable.

you must have changed something in configure.ac or the makefile, or deleted the bundled 3rd party libs. An untouched bitcoin.git doesn't behave how you're describing, and never has AFAIK

start again, delete the directory and git clone https://github/bitcoin/bitcoin.git

also, use strip bitcoin* on all exectuables you compile to reduce the size of the binaries. They still won't be byte-for-byte identical to the official binaries, you need to use gitian (or guix in future) to get precisely the same binaries as the official ones. strip will only reduce the binary size to a similar value.

all functionality is the same, regardless of whether you use the strip command or not. but, using different version of the 3rd party libraries than those bundled with the Bitcoin repo will result in different behaviour, some 3rd party libs are forks maintained specifically for the Bitcoin project, while others are frozen to an old version to maintain consistent behaviour between Bitcoin nodes of differing versions

if you use different 3rd party libraries, you cannot expect such a Bitcoin node to function correctly (arguably, it isn't even a proper Bitcoin node when you use the wrong 3rd party libs to compile bitcoin source code)

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 11:42:08 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

If I understand you, the compiled original (without the install option) should work on another Unix install without any missing dependencies?

precisely.

all the needed dependencies are compiled into the Bitcoin binaries in the default automake configuration of all branches of the Bitcoin github repo. they are intentionally static binaries, to keep Bitcoin nodes behaving consistently across the Bitcoin network. a side effect of that is that the binaries can be used on different machines that have the same OS, but different libraries installed. Pre-installed libraries don't matter, as the Bitcoin binaries bring their own 3rd libraries to satisfy all it's dependencies.

Vires in numeris
dragonvslinux
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
July 14, 2019, 06:04:18 PM

If you are using Ubuntu 18.04.2 then I'd recommend the following instead of building from source. Unless you need to build from source that is:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt update
sudo apt install bitcoind bitcoin-qt

This includes all the dependencies and by adding the repository (first line) will keep you up to date with the latest core updates (as long as you keep your system up to date).

Source: https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/ubuntu/bitcoin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀