Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:23:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disrupting Crypto Exchanges  (Read 190 times)
g-uid (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 08:44:58 PM

Curious to know what you all think would be major disruptors for Bitcoin exchanges. Happy to kick things off with one of my own pet peeves, so here I go:

• Exchanges typically take a percentage-based fee for every trade. The exchanges that don't take a % fee on a trade take a % fee on withdrawal. The one's that don't charge a fee, front-run/sell their own users to high-frequency traders (they call this "order flow") who then make their own trade based on any significant trends or actions. Taking a % fee is not in accordance to the spirit of Bitcoin, at least in the sense that if you transfer Bitcoin on the blockchain, it's for a fixed fee that is for the most part independent of the amount. So I believe an exchange that charged a fixed, fair and predictable fee in addition to not selling their users or their trades could be s disruptor.

Am I totally off base? Always curious to know what the Bitcointalk community has to say. So if you have an opinion, please share it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 10:11:02 PM
Merited by carlfebz2 (1)

Curious to know what you all think would be major disruptors for Bitcoin exchanges. Happy to kick things off with one of my own pet peeves, so here I go:

• Exchanges typically take a percentage-based fee for every trade. The exchanges that don't take a % fee on a trade take a % fee on withdrawal. The one's that don't charge a fee, front-run/sell their own users to high-frequency traders (they call this "order flow") who then make their own trade based on any significant trends or actions. Taking a % fee is not in accordance to the spirit of Bitcoin, at least in the sense that if you transfer Bitcoin on the blockchain, it's for a fixed fee that is for the most part independent of the amount. So I believe an exchange that charged a fixed, fair and predictable fee in addition to not selling their users or their trades could be s disruptor.

Am I totally off base? Always curious to know what the Bitcointalk community has to say. So if you have an opinion, please share it.

I don't necessarily think that the commission exchanges take is the most concerning thing.

The majority of traders are completely fine with the exchanges taking a small percentage off trades, as demonstrated by the popularity of exchanges such as Binance, Coinbase, etc.. If people are predominantly concerned about fees alone, they wouldn't use Binance with a 0.1%, but rather use exchanges which offer much lower percentage rates (there are even sites with negative maker fees).

Perhaps it matters more to whales, where percentage fees are a much bigger issue than plat fees. But for average traders, they should be more concerned about transaction fees to and from the exchange.

Besides, lowering the fees alone on an exchange is barely a "disruption" to the industry. It's just modifying existing parametres.

What I think will really disrupt the entire field is if decentralized exchanges are able to exist, whilst operating across multiple currencies, as opposed to the current model where it's limited to digital assets on one particular platform. Something like the BTS decentralized exchange, except it's not trading derivatives, but rather the underlying asset itself.

Smiley
g-uid (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 10:19:13 PM

The majority of traders are completely fine with the exchanges taking a small percentage off trades, as demonstrated by the popularity of exchanges such as Binance, Coinbase, etc.. If people are predominantly concerned about fees alone, they wouldn't use Binance with a 0.1%, but rather use exchanges which offer much lower percentage rates (there are even sites with negative maker fees).

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with you. Have you considered that they use these exchanges because they don't have any other choice? Are there exchanges that don't charge percentage-based fees?
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
July 13, 2019, 12:33:19 PM

Have you considered that they use these exchanges because they don't have any other choice?
In some cases people don't have a choice, but the main things to take into consideration are the level of liquidity an exchange offers, and how easy it is to deposit and more importantly withdraw fiat.

If the above is in order, people will take even a relatively higher fee on average for granted just because of that. I don't think anybody here will use a low fee exchange when aspects such as liquidity and fiat withdrawals suck.

Are there exchanges that don't charge percentage-based fees?
As far as I know every exchange in crypto charges a percentage based fee. I have only seen legacy brokers offering stock trading and such work with fixed $5-$10 fees regardless of the amount traded.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
July 14, 2019, 11:46:46 AM

Fees would be always there yet exchangers are business and heck people doesn't have any choice but to deal with it and also fees or deductions aren't really that high so it isn't really a serious thing to be concerned and as timberland said the thing would disrupt is on Decentralized exchange and this i do consider heavily than on fee/reduction issues.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3607

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2019, 06:42:05 AM

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with you. Have you considered that they use these exchanges because they don't have any other choice? Are there exchanges that don't charge percentage-based fees?
Trust and security when making transactions rather than focusing on fees as it is not a critical factor if trading thousands of dollars.

When alternatives are available, you can search for the options that are best suited to you based on the type of trading you are doing, and determine the number of fees you pay.
Just as happens when you send transactions in BTC, upper transactions use the main network (send 1 million using 1 dollar) and the small transactions prefer the lighting network (send 100$ using 0.11 dollar.)

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
July 15, 2019, 02:09:14 PM

I dont think there is need for any disruption because every option you listed up there have one thing in common which is profit motive. It now depends on how aggressive the proprietors of such platforms and other market factors that determine which of the options available will be implemented on such platforms. In your own case, I think you need to consider the option that would give you the needed cashflow that would keep the business running till it gets it footing before you can consider other options in other to expand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: