Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:16:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power and watts  (Read 817 times)
avoid3d (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 10:48:26 AM

Ok guys not to be a douchenozzle for too long but:

When referring to bitcoin mining rigs and mains electricity in general:

Power is measured in: kilowatts

Energy used is measured in kilowatt hours/b]

So if I have a rig pulling 500watts, I am drawing 0.5kw

That is 1 kilowat hour every 2 hours

That is 0.5 kilowat hours per hour. which is 0.5kw

So to say kllowat hours per hour is redundant just say kilowatts, and say killowat hours when talking about energy consumed over time.

There is no such thing as killowatts / hour. What you often mean is kilowatt hours per hour. Which is the same as kilowatts

avoid3d - Pierre Hugo
1avoid9FDvP15aKNyPGgJPcxfzMFM4Af6
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anillos

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 06:13:03 PM

A kw is 1000 Joules in one second. If these 1000 joules was spent in two seconds, the power was 0.5 kw.

A wkh is 3 600 000 joules (It's doesn't depend on time).

If a card power is 500w, it takes a kwh in two ours, 12 kwh in a day.
There is no such thing as killowatts / hour. What you often mean is kilowatt hours per hour. Which is the same as kilowatts
True. A "Kilowatts / hour" measure could be refered as a "increase of power consumption in a certain time", like acceleration, speed and space.

Of course, if someone talks about "kwh" is Kw × h, not kw / h.

Aquí puedes conseguir pequeños ahorros sin mucho esfuerzo: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1PWNAGEZ3fSM8QevUavdd2iZ9F5jkp1QHZ
Consigue algo más viendo vídeos o haciendo pequeñas tareas en Bitcoinget.com: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178692.msg2509190#msg2509190
¿necesitas un dibujo vectorial, un esquema, un diagrama...? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183268.0
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:04:41 PM

Is there a semantics merit badge?

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:25:53 PM

capacity is in watts or a multiple thereof, like kilowatts
energy consumed adds a time element giving kW * h

Because most measurement systems are looking for total over time (like a month or year) and consumption or supply is no consistent you get load factor and average kilowatts and total kWh. 

In AC systems there is also power factor to consider (leading or lagging voltage and current phases), so more correctly it is kVA rather than kW.

However, when referring to the more obscure measurements, it is not correct to say that such and such a measurement does not exist.  One example is cubic acres (a six dimensional value) and this is perfectly allowable (although odd) when describing volume variance.  So having kW * h^-1 may have relevance in the right context.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:32:46 PM

Thermal conductivity, is the property of a material's ability to conduct heat. It appears primarily in Fourier's Law for heat conduction.
Heat transfer across materials of high thermal conductivity occurs at a faster rate than across materials of low thermal conductivity. Correspondingly materials of high thermal conductivity are widely used in heat sink applications and materials of low thermal conductivity are used as thermal insulation.  Thermal conductivity of materials is temperature dependent. In general, materials become more conductive to heat as the average temperature increases.  The reciprocal of thermal conductivity is thermal resistivity.
avoid3d (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 10:33:02 PM

Thermal conductivity, is the property of a material's ability to conduct heat. It appears primarily in Fourier's Law for heat conduction.
Heat transfer across materials of high thermal conductivity occurs at a faster rate than across materials of low thermal conductivity. Correspondingly materials of high thermal conductivity are widely used in heat sink applications and materials of low thermal conductivity are used as thermal insulation.  Thermal conductivity of materials is temperature dependent. In general, materials become more conductive to heat as the average temperature increases.  The reciprocal of thermal conductivity is thermal resistivity.

While interesting, I assume you are mocking me? Don't you like knowlege?

avoid3d - Pierre Hugo
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:16:29 PM

Just for a practical application, power station ramp rates are quoted in MW per hour.  For example, a hydro power station might be rated at 3000 MW per hour.  That means a 600 MW plant can go from zero to 600 MW in 10 minutes.

So kilowatts per hour is a valid measure in this case.
avoid3d (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 08:02:48 AM

Just for a practical application, power station ramp rates are quoted in MW per hour.  For example, a hydro power station might be rated at 3000 MW per hour.  That means a 600 MW plant can go from zero to 600 MW in 10 minutes.

I hadn't considered this, but of course it is obvious in hind site.

Lol you could probably differentiate one more time and figure out the plants ability to change the rate of changing the power output. If it wasn't a technical limitation it would still be true because of the latency between sensing a higher demand and issuing the new output.

So I guess kw/hour/hour is a unit too.

avoid3d - Pierre Hugo
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 08:07:50 PM

I hadn't considered this, but of course it is obvious in hind site.

Lol you could probably differentiate one more time and figure out the plants ability to change the rate of changing the power output. If it wasn't a technical limitation it would still be true because of the latency between sensing a higher demand and issuing the new output.

So I guess kw/hour/hour is a unit too.

I think that becomes important when considering start-up conditions.  For instance, when you turn on an incandescent lamp, the current changes as the filliment warms up.  A * t^-2  Smiley

And picking up on the thermal conductivity post of a few days ago, at aluminium smelters, power outages are a problem because as the metal cools, it takes more energy (current) to reheat - another kw/time measure.

The short answer is probably blame the boffins - they have a measurement for everything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: