Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:59:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Shutdown - Antminer S9  (Read 254 times)
nsimonov (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2019, 07:21:19 PM

Hi, I would like to access my miners (S9's) remotely and have them stop mining at time X and then have them start mining again a few hours later. I know about AwesomeMiner but would prefer to have this done without using other software. I would appreciate any help and a pointer in the right direction (I'm a noob). Thanks in advance.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2019, 09:56:18 PM

I don't know if you can do that but there is a method that I know you can schedule to reboot the miner through cron jobs but it will not work if you are using 2019 firmware because it is SSH disabled.

Check this thread below how to schedule reboot through SSH.

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4720967.0

Read the post from the OP and the last post.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 18, 2019, 10:16:40 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2019, 03:40:50 PM by mikeywith

As far as I know there is no way to competently shut the miner off except for physical shut down , the led lights will still work , the fans will still spin (low RPM) but still , and that does add to your electricity bill, and depending on how many miners you have, you could be paying a fortune for that.

The best remote solution for you would be using Wifi smart devices, and you have 2 options.

if you have  a lot of miners to shut down, then you can use a smart MCB to control all the miners you need to shutdown, here is an example from Amazon > https://www.amazon.com/CNZJSC-Circuit-Breaker-Energy-Monitoring/dp/B07Q2QJVPJ

Using such a breaker you need to take these two things into consideration.

1- pick the right AMP
2- your router needs to be on a different MCB or else, after you turn everything off , you will have to manually switch it back on.

if it's a single miner, or a few but you want to control each of them individually, you can use Wifi switch > https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Control-Household-Appliances-Compatible/dp/B07FZTKZD5

you can find those on Alixpress for a lot cheaper, i think 3-4$ each, for S9 running on 220v 10amps would be enough, you can also use this switch with a relay / contactor to control your existing MCB , do the math, if the contactor + wifi switch price is cheaper than the smart MCB then use this method.

I have personally used the second equipment ( different brand but same thing) , you control your stuff using an APP on android and IOS, and you can set a schedule for it to go off and on.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nsimonov (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 02:15:47 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2019, 02:52:02 AM by frodocooper

As far as I know there is no way to competently shut the miner off except for physical shut down , the led lights will still work , the fans will still spin (low RPM) but still , and that does add to your electricity bill, and depending on how many miners you have, you could be paying a fortune for that...

if you have  a lot of miners to shut down, then you can use a smart MCB to control all the miners you need to shutdown, here is an example from Amazon > https://www.amazon.com/CNZJSC-Circuit-Breaker-Energy-Monitoring/dp/B07Q2QJVPJ...

Thanks. Do you think it is safe to completely shut the miner off after they have been running for a while? I've read that it is good practice to shut down the mining process but keep the fans running for a little while so as to cool down the chips.

... it will not work if you are using 2019 firmware because it is SSH disabled.

Was unaware of this, ty.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2522

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
Merited by frodocooper (1)

@mikeywith, you might want to check your spell checker... A high power relay is better known as a contactor - not a contractor  Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2019, 02:58:41 PM
Merited by frodocooper (1)

Heh, a small joke,
Lots of contactors -> a lot of work for contractor. Cheesy

mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 03:48:45 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2019, 02:54:22 AM by frodocooper

Thanks. Do you think it is safe to completely shut the miner off after they have been running for a while? I've read that it is good practice to shut down the mining process but keep the fans running for a little while so as to cool down the chips.

I am not an expert in electronics but i am pretty sure it is fine to completely shut your miner off at any given time ( unless it is about to submit a correct answer to a block when solo mining then that is terrible luck) Grin

@mikeywith, you might want to check your spell checker... A high power relay is better known as a contactor - not a contractor  Wink

I used my phone to type that , it is amazing how i made the same spelling error twice, despite the fact that even in my local language we refer to it as a contactor but my phone thinks it's wrong spelling.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████