Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:01:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $32m stolen from Tokyo cryptocurrency exchange in latest hack  (Read 544 times)
olamidey

Activity: 798
Merit: 104

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2019, 01:00:16 PM

Another crypto exchange got hacked, this is not a new issue after Binance exchange gets hack and now, here is a new one. Hackers target is a hot wallet which is prone to hackers while cold wallet luckily not affected.

There's a good comment here.
https://twitter.com/wiz/status/1149584492559863808

Then, who's the next weak exchange might get hacked? hmmp Roll Eyes

Honestly, hacks are becoming more popular with regular occurrence. There must be something they're seeing that those tasked with security on these exchanges are not seeing. Every month new hacks happening. Definitely, a hot wallet was the target . Exchanges should invest more in security of their funds and as well as the wallets holding the funds. Another Exchange gone down except they have such amount to repay users.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pingip

Activity: 14
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 20, 2019, 04:11:26 PM

Wet dream for hackers with the Japanese Security.

that is racist since it has nothing to do with "Japanese security" but with this exchange lacking security. not to mention that this is not the first time, it is not even the hundredths time! there is at least 100 cases per 6 months of hacks usually from exchanges. that is why everyone always tells you not to leave anything on exchanges ever.

its not about racist , japan need to improve their security ask experts in security tech space they will tell you about the japanese security
spacehopper

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2019, 07:03:53 PM

oh OMG..What a bad news.Great and sweet dreams for the hackers but not good for exchange,exchange users and all other market.Exchange lost their money and the users trust.Anyone who used that exchange will fear.That they also been hacked.These incidents will fuel up anti-crypto rally.Security fails of a exchange doing a massive effect on market.

joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
July 21, 2019, 10:39:29 PM

It's so sad anytime i get to hear about all these security breeches on cryptocurrency exchanges because this really drags the image of the crypto community in mud. Safety of funds is very important and i think it's high time exchanges really put their A game on to ensure that their cryptocurrency exchanges are secured enough to prevent hackers from getting access to the funds of users. Exchange hacks have caused many people big loss and i think we really need to look at this issue as crypto enthusiasts.

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
rodel caling

Activity: 952
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 21, 2019, 10:45:38 PM

Another crypto exchange got hacked, this is not a new issue after Binance exchange gets hack and now, here is a new one. Hackers target is a hot wallet which is prone to hackers while cold wallet luckily not affected.

The hacker can't stop doing bad stealing volume of crypto currency amount, I think now is the right time how to improve and protect the exchange to the hacker. The owners of each exchange need to make solution and learn how to protect their exchange to the hackers.
pandowoe

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2019, 05:02:56 AM

Hacking is always happening everywhere, cryptocurrency, stocks and bitcoin are no exception. This is one of the things that can cause the impact of investment decline because of fear that their assets will be lost. Basically crime will always be there to find loopholes to get the loot. For that we need to be aware of our assets.
enogheghase123
Copper Member

Activity: 164
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2019, 05:54:44 AM

Its beginning to dawn on me that these hacks news making waves about exchange may be a scam on it own, maybe exchange owners may be responsible for the hack anyway, they may see this as a legit means of stealing assets without been the primary suspect. My thought though  Huh

krb91

Activity: 254
Merit: 10

Streamies Rocks!!!!

View Profile
July 22, 2019, 09:14:26 PM

It's truly sad and appalling the way such hacks tend to increase within the block chain space. This is partly the reason why many governments are skeptical of adopting cryprocurrency as a mainstream means of exchange; the security of digital assets. As more users tend yo join the block chain space, the potential target increases significantly.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
omone1

Activity: 843
Merit: 52

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 01:55:05 AM

Although am not a security expert, exchanges must find away to prevent major hacks cases like this, they should make all moves to ensure up-to-date security features. This is necessary to keep their customers as hack cases don't majorly impact on the market anymore.
TheWolf666

Activity: 615
Merit: 154

CEO of Metaisland.gg and W.O.K Corp

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 03:50:01 AM

Maybe it's time for exchanges to think of a new approach when handling their hot wallets. It feels as if the hackers know that these are the easy ones to target and do not dare touch the cold wallets knowing that the security would be tight. For most exchange hacks that have happened in the history of bitcoin, the targets are always on the hot wallets and not any other part of the platform which is understandable, considering how it is basically an open wallet with lots of ins and outs (txs) and can be hijacked on the fly. This will not be the last of the exchanges that will get hacked if security measures aren't changed.

The thing I always ask myself is why they do not make specific wallet running on their exchanges rather than using the regular wallet. They could for example limit the hot wallet to transfer a max transaction of 1 BTC. If more than that send a notification and the operation is done manually, with some verification that the transaction is effectively coming from am identified account.

Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 06:00:46 AM

This never ending hacks on exchanges are getting rampant now, i hope every exchange platforms will double their respective security protocols in order to protect customer's assets and to establish good ground defenses against these fraudulent attackers. Hoping other exchanges always stay vigilant on these type of attacks to ensure credibility and trusts from traders.

These hacks will never end because most of the times it’s an insider person, who hacks these exchange with the help of hackers. As far I know most of these exchanges are using premium security to safeguard them, but hackers are also getting smarter and with confidential information being leaked to them their task of hacking becomes easier. I don’t know if exchanges will become more vigilant or not, but I would suggest all to stay away from exchanges as time and time again they get hacked and people loose their coins.
rmilly

Activity: 312

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 04:40:30 PM

This never ending hacks on exchanges are getting rampant now, i hope every exchange platforms will double their respective security protocols in order to protect customer's assets and to establish good ground defenses against these fraudulent attackers. Hoping other exchanges always stay vigilant on these type of attacks to ensure credibility and trusts from traders.

These hacks will never end because most of the times it’s an insider person, who hacks these exchange with the help of hackers. As far I know most of these exchanges are using premium security to safeguard them, but hackers are also getting smarter and with confidential information being leaked to them their task of hacking becomes easier. I don’t know if exchanges will become more vigilant or not, but I would suggest all to stay away from exchanges as time and time again they get hacked and people loose their coins.

I think there will be an end to the hacks sometime. Especially as more exchanges work with cyber security firms like ciphertrace who specialize in AML compliance. Even if its from the inside job they will be able to catch it early on
Pipdips

Activity: 210
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 06:01:26 PM

These big hacks are more proof that Bitcoin is highly valuable.
everlyn

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 10:05:15 PM

Even Japanese security can disappoint. Let's blame people who built exactly this security system, not all the nation.
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 11:00:19 PM

Not in your wallet, not in your control. Any type of online wallet, including that of exchanges, puts your money at risk. Its the same as a bank, you trust a third party for them to keep your money safe...

This is one reason why holding is so much easier, but you can potentially make more by trading it in the exchange. Its a matter of risk...

Japan has plenty of regulations for exchanges, but i guess that is still not good enough...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
ityandsyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 11:23:06 PM

I appreciate this much , having a link to gave more knowledge of the reader and this is always the situation which the hackers were doing better than the security features of the exchange so they must work hard on these part .
Dreamchaser21

Activity: 686
Merit: 108

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 11:33:40 PM

And finally it happened again, when the bitcoin market conditions began to recover.  My question is, is it really done by hackers?
We really don’t know but as far as Japanese exchange is concern, i believe its really hack knowing the culture of Japanese. This is juts coincidence and the price of bitcoin are still on the same level, this is just an unfortunate event on that exchange, and hoping for their recovery especially the users of that exchange.
Nasonn

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 11:36:26 PM

It's shocking that after all the hacks that have happened in the past cryptocurrency exchanges still can't secure their platform from hackers. I'm begining to think that there's much we don't know concerning these hacks maybe the platforms are part of the hackers.
Nellayar

Activity: 868
Merit: 185

Roobet supporter and player!

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 11:58:13 PM

This is the real problem in this industry. The continuously growing up of the market and technology is also similar with the increasing number of opportunity in hackers and scammers. They are unstoppable and anytime, they will attack and loot crypto in exchange. In fact, even binanve will be threatened by hackers. So, as a trader we should be protect our wallets.

TheWolf666

Activity: 615
Merit: 154

CEO of Metaisland.gg and W.O.K Corp

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2019, 09:19:42 PM

Once again, the infamous question, why the exchanges are not modifying the wallets so that they cannot make for example a transfert of money > 1 without having someone verifying that the transaction is made by a valid member, identified and not from a hacker that got access to the hot wallet by hacking the server?
Exchanges have the resources for paying programmers.
Hot Wallet in the exchanges should have an extra layer of security to avoid these big loss of money.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: