Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:25:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 25btc/block soon?  (Read 5009 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 10:26:33 PM

1. Already paid for electricity.
2. Photovoltaic cells.
3. Wind power micro-generators.
4. I believe there are micro-generators for flowing water too.

I have an acquaintance who has a micro wind turbine, he recovered the money in a little more than 3 years. He now has free electricity. No government sponsoring. Is he stealing too?

A wind turbine isn't free electricity any more than a nuclear reactor is free electricity.

Cost per kWh = (Lifetime electricity generated)/(Construction cost + maintenance + capital/interest cost)

As far as 3 year payback.  Even if that is true (which it isn't) it still isn't free.  The turbine has a fine lifespan and requires maintenance.  It will produce a finite amount of energy and the cost can never be free.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:22:47 PM

Every other house share on classified boards in the UK offers electricity included. and i can guarantee 99% don't state how much you are or not allowed to use. Neither do halls of residence. Work within the law. If they didn't state a limit its free (or included) for as much juice as you can suck. I don't write the rules just manipulate them. Just like everyone else who actually makes a bitcoin...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 11:33:09 PM

Just show me one and I'll shut up.

In the mean time: Bullshit.
MaxSan

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:36:22 PM

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/newly-painted-two-bedroom-flat-in-a-period-conversion-all-utility-bills-are-included/90749649
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 11:50:18 PM

All utility bills only means elevator, waste disposal, janitor and so on, sometimes heating if it is provided by an in house oil heater (where I live for ex.). I also pay my rent "with utility bills included" but still I get charged separate for electricity, gas for warmwater & cooking and every 1000 liter of water I consume from the respected providers.
So this is just a way to tell potential customers that there are not additional costs to be payed to them.

You still live at your mum's aren't you?  Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 11:50:47 PM

1. Limited amount, and still against the contract in most cases hence still stolen.

If you can read romanian, I'll send you a scanned copy of my datacenter contracts. I dare you to say it to my face that I steal electricity. BTW, the manager of one of the datacenters knows I'm running CPU mining full load on the machines there.

2-4. Initial costs & maintenance, zero sum game without govt. sponsoring

I have an acquaintance who has a micro wind turbine, he recovered the money in a little more than 3 years. He now has free electricity. No government sponsoring. Is he stealing too?

Or are you trolling out of habit?

Did you mean: ...I'm running GPU mining full load on the machines there. Huh
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 11:54:44 PM

...or http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/apa/2683460144.html
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 11:59:55 PM

This is a Duplex in a Mobile Home Park

right.

rofl
MaxSan

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 12:25:14 AM

im not sitting here copying a million links for your benefit. Theres plenty there with all bills included. electricity is part of utility where i come from. this is a pointless discussion use Google.

EDIT : seems like people agree about electric being covered in utility bill btw too. its a basic utility.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 12:49:47 AM

I move a lot. I get short term places, often 1-3 months. As best I can remember in my whole life I've had electric bill in my name 3 times, no electric bill ~8 times, and electric added to rent once. This doesn't count extended stay type places that also don't charge extra based on electric consumption, in those I don't even know if they can meter by room.

In most places you aren't going to get away with $100 more than the owner was expecting though.

I think the long term equilibrium is low power consuming specialized hashing devices, but in the medium term zero cost to miner electricity is going to be providing a lot of the network power.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
fred0

Activity: 349

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 01:38:14 AM

I don't see the cost of electricity/production cost being the major factor in bitcoin.

I think that it is mostly economic.  For example, what does it cost to produce an once of gold?  I'm sure some people here know(I don't).  Is the determining factor in the price of gold the cost to mine?

As bitcoins become harder to acquire, the price should be going up -- without regard to the means of production. The halving of the block reward I'm sure will be a good thing for those with deep bitcoin wallets.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:08:06 AM

I don't see the cost of electricity/production cost being the major factor in bitcoin.

I think that it is mostly economic.  For example, what does it cost to produce an once of gold?  I'm sure some people here know(I don't).  Is the determining factor in the price of gold the cost to mine?

As bitcoins become harder to acquire, the price should be going up -- without regard to the means of production. The halving of the block reward I'm sure will be a good thing for those with deep bitcoin wallets.

Doubtful.  Price is based on supply and demand.  Sure cutting the block reward in half reduces future supply but there is a huge amount of existing supply.  Daily volume is only a tiny fraction of current supply and there are hundreds of thousands of coins which haven't been moved a long time.  Lots of supply to dump on the market at any time.

So price rises if Bitcoin is more useful to hold.  If the utility of Bitcoin doesn't double price isn't going to double, difficulty will just fall to compensate.  Miners who are unprofitable will turn off rigs and lower difficulty. 
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:11:49 AM

Any changes from the decrease in block reqward are likley to be temporary, you'll have a small bust/boom right around the change and then back to buisness as usual, but that's just my humble opinion

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
fred0

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:18:49 AM

Doubtful.  Price is based on supply and demand.  Sure cutting the block reward in half reduces future supply but there is a huge amount of existing supply.  Daily volume is only a tiny fraction of current supply and there are hundreds of thousands of coins which haven't been moved a long time.  Lots of supply to dump on the market at any time.

So price rises if Bitcoin is more useful to hold.  If the utility of Bitcoin doesn't double price isn't going to double, difficulty will just fall to compensate.  Miners who are unprofitable will turn off rigs and lower difficulty. 
Certainly you are correct. All hinges on Bitcoin's utility.  Lack of adoption will mean slow death. Sustained growth in bitcoin use should mean sustained price.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:31:35 AM

Or more simply price drives difficulty.  Difficulty doesn't drive price.
fred0

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:56:06 AM

Difficulty adjusts to keep the rate of inflation constant.  The inflation rate will halve when the block reward halves.  Difficulty could drive price is was adjusted too low or too high, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

But hey, I'm still a newb to bitcoin.  Grin
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:59:19 AM

Difficulty adjusts to keep the rate of inflation constant.  The inflation rate will halve when the block reward halves.  Difficulty could drive price is was adjusted too low or too high, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Difficulty can never drive price.  Price determines the profitability of miners and the number of miners (and those aggregate hashing power) drives difficulty.

Remember miners aren't working together they are competing for a fixed number of coins being generated.  The same number of coins are generated if difficulty is 1 or difficulty is 10 million.
fred0

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 03:24:05 AM

Difficulty can never drive price.  Price determines the profitability of miners and the number of miners (and those aggregate hashing power) drives difficulty.

Remember miners aren't working together they are competing for a fixed number of coins being generated.  The same number of coins are generated if difficulty is 1 or difficulty is 10 million.
Right, so if the block reward is halved, as long as there is sufficient demand, shouldn't limited inflation make each bitcoin worth just a little bit more?  Technically, it is still inflating, therefore, to me, it is all about demand. Without demand, there is no purpose to bitcoin, like in the early days when that guy bought a pizza to 10,000 BTC.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 04:17:30 AM

Sure but that is due to supply & demand not difficulty.

The price of Bitcoin is based on supply and demand. 
The utility drives demand.
Generation rate drives supply.

Price (well technically price * generation rate) drives difficulty
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 07:13:41 AM

Sure but that is due to supply & demand not difficulty.

The price of Bitcoin is based on supply and demand.  
The utility drives demand.
Generation rate drives supply.

Price (well technically price * generation rate) drives difficulty

And in case of bitcoin price also drives  demand, /or utility Wink
...at least it used to... now it's the opposite.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: