Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:43:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it really this hard to start out?  (Read 399 times)
AdvancedDogPlop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 04:25:18 PM

Where are you from and what were those exchanges that are requiring you to pass personal information? Maybe try localbitcoins in your area

I am in England in the UK and I say I am looking to buy £20 (any small amount really)
It is a small amount and I am not fussy about the rate/fees.

It really is every website I try. I have tried so many that I now understand that ID verification is normal nowadays.
Problem is I don't know any of these organisations (trading platforms whatever you call them) and I am concerned that they could misue the copies of my ID documents or they could get hacked.

I assume the law has changed recently.
This issue is surely going to inhibit the growth of BTC.

Where you are living? binance can be used even without passing the kyc but with a limit of 2 btc.
can't even sign up without proof of this and that.

Post your wallet and I'll send you ~0.5 mBTC when I have time and access to my wallet . I'm in a good vacation mood today so you are lucky Smiley
 It's always good to have new people on board.
I might be new but even I know that will not happen  Grin

KYC is evil. Never give it to anyone.
Yeah.
Why would I want random people (with my security low on their priority list) having copies of my ID.

AdvancedDogPlop, at least you start with buying hardware wallet which in any case is the correct starting point. Now you want to buy some Bitcoin, but you face the problem with verification (KYC) which is become something quite normal on most crypto exchanges. If you give your personal data always choose those exchanges that have good reputation, or let's say those that are most popular. In general Coinbase, Bitstamp or Binance should be top exchanges you can consider to trade on.

If you want to buy without KYC you have few options :

• To find some forum user : Currency exchange
  • To buy using crypto ATM.
  • To use LocalBitcoins / find seller and make a purchase in person.
  • To sell something for Bitcoin : Goods
  • To wait on some donations Wink

Yes I have come the realisation that KYC is the norm even for v small amounts.

My next step is the one hour drive to my nearest ATM and hope it is an ATM that doesn't want to scan my fingerprint etc because I have seen youtube vids of ATM that scan your fingerprint and photo you.

Also for OP: if you only want to test, you can use testnet coins. I don't know if/how Ledger handles testnet, but it's free coins exactly for this. You can google for bitcoin testnet faucets, some work well. Make sure you understand that testnet is another network, with another set of addresses and so on.
Unfortunately Ledger doesn't support them  Sad

rosezionjohn

Activity: 882
Merit: 301

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 04:52:29 PM

I am in England in the UK and I say I am looking to buy £20 (any small amount really)
You can check out local bitcoins if you haven't done it yet. https://localbitcoins.com/country/GB
You can reach out to their customer support also if you have further questions https://localbitcoins.com/faq

I assume the law has changed recently.
Correct.

Post your wallet and I'll send you ~0.5 mBTC when I have time and access to my wallet . I'm in a good vacation mood today so you are lucky Smiley
It's nice that you are being cautious but you can check out the person's account and trust rating. One of the reputable members here is offering you a good deal.
rmilly

Activity: 312
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 05:34:40 PM

There will be a steep learning curve for about 6 months but there are so many great resources online. Keep reading and learning and it will come. Don't be afraid to ask questions and I recommend finding a mentor that can help teach you 
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 06:48:46 PM

You have no idea how amazing this place is, if you are willing to try your luck, send me a PM or post your wallet address Smiley

ElmedoRator

Activity: 826
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 01:08:02 AM

Now starting with the market it is too easy. You need some money and OTC trading on the exchanges. Or you can buy it through bitcoin holders. Or besides, you can make transactions from other highly secure trading platforms such as bitrex, binance, etc. However, you need to keep your money safe by personal keys.

AdvancedDogPlop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:37:16 PM

Buying BTC at the ATM went smoothly up to the point where I tried to stuff a £20 note into the ATM but it wouldn't take it Sad
I think the machine was out of order but it could always be me so I will go back in a few days during the day when I can phone their support line.

I have come across another method that no one has mentioned. I am running a bitcoin miner on my laptop  Cheesy
They don't payout until I have earned 5,000 satoshis (0.000,05 BTC) which is going to take a few days. I will see how that pans out but I can't see how they can transfer such a small amount because of the transaction fees but I will see.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: