Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:46:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction fee?  (Read 2933 times)
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:05:57 PM

I have set up another computer and so a second wallet just to play around a little. Now on the second wallet I mined 0.05 BTC and I wanted to transfert them to my primary wallet. The clients says I need to pay a transaction fee. But I heard, that its possible to transfer BTC *without* paying a fee. How does that work?  Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:09:21 PM

vanilla client, can't do it(well sometimes...).
modify and compile your own.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:10:31 PM

I have set up another computer and so a second wallet just to play around a little. Now on the second wallet I mined 0.05 BTC and I wanted to transfert them to my primary wallet. The clients says I need to pay a transaction fee. But I heard, that its possible to transfer BTC *without* paying a fee. How does that work?  Huh

Well we need something more than the very helpful "modify and compile your own".

I am sure somebody already build a derivative client that does not charge for TX fees.

What about a SC client that does not give many TX fees to King RealScam ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:34:36 PM

Just wait.  Coins gain priority with age.  If they have sufficient priority there will be no transfer fee (some non applicable exceptions apply). 
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:40:55 PM

Just wait.  Coins gain priority with age.  If they have sufficient priority there will be no transfer fee (some non applicable exceptions apply). 

And how long does this normaly take?

sonba

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:05:59 AM

I usually had to wait around 3 days
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:26:57 AM

I usually had to wait around 3 days

Good to know. Thank you! Smiley

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:39:12 PM

The exact time depends on the value of each address and time.

The formula the client uses is:

Code:
priority = sum(input_value_in_base_units * input_age)/size_in_bytes

If priority is >57,600 there is no transaction fee.

Basically it works out to 1 day for 1 BTC.   Larger addresses (not total wallet value) require less time, smaller addresses require more time.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 03:40:09 PM

You can always import the private key into your new wallet.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 04:38:37 PM

You can always import the private key into your new wallet.
Yes.  You can search for pywallet, install it and use that to import the private keys into your main wallet, instead of sending the BTC via a transaction.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 09:33:51 PM

Yes.  You can search for pywallet, install it and use that to import the private keys into your main wallet, instead of sending the BTC via a transaction.

It does not work with windows, or does it?  Undecided

The exact time depends on the value of each address and time.

The formula the client uses is:

Code:
priority = sum(input_value_in_base_units * input_age)/size_in_bytes

If priority is >57,600 there is no transaction fee.

Basically it works out to 1 day for 1 BTC.   Larger addresses (not total wallet value) require less time, smaller addresses require more time.

Ahm, how do i calculate this?
My client shows the number of confirmations, the date, the 0.05BTC a description. What now?  Huh

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 09:38:47 PM

It does not work with windows, or does it?  Undecided

Works anywhere python is installed.
Install python, download pywallet to a folder, run python pywallet.py in terminal

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Jaagu

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 10:30:19 PM

Satoshi's client version 0.3.20 (and all previous ones) does not impose any fee.

Choose your favorite from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files%2FBitcoin/
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 11:03:30 PM

Satoshi's client version 0.3.20 (and all previous ones) does not impose any fee.

Choose your favorite from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files%2FBitcoin/

You've got to be careful. The fee isn't 'imposed' to harm you. If you send without a fee when the current version wants it other nodes may consider your tx to be spam and not forward it.

.001 cent is pretty cheap to pay to prove you actually care about the tx getting processed. 

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:09:47 PM

It's a bad idea to keep using an older version no matter what. For example, newer versions can do wallet encryption, while older versions can't. Apart from that there may be bugs in older versions which would have been fixed in the version you're not using, and you will miss out on new features that may become important to bitcoin in general.

There's also the thing FreeMoney mentioned just now:
You've got to be careful. The fee isn't 'imposed' to harm you. If you send without a fee when the current version wants it other nodes may consider your tx to be spam and not forward it.

JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:14:18 PM

Not forwarded ever, or will it just take a long time?
And does the protocol allow for something like "Send 0.003BTC without any fee, but if it hasn't been processed within 30 blocks, return it to my wallet"? That would have been a nice feature.

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:15:49 PM

And does the protocol allow for something like "Send 0.003BTC without any fee, but if it hasn't been processed within 30 blocks, return it to my wallet"? That would have been a nice feature.
The bitcoin protocol can do something like what you describe, but the standard client can not do this. It will just keep waiting until it's processed, and you can't "reclaim" it.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:19:56 PM

The current vanilla client doesn't refuse to forward the transaction, but most miners are not going to include the transaction until it's old enough to qualify as a free transaction.  I believe that the current client defaults to a transaction fee, but that can be changed in the settings.  The vanilla client will refuse to create a transaction based upon an input transaction that is newer than 6 confirmations old.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:21:57 PM

Yes, but that set of features is based upon the transaction 'scripting' which is not implimented yet.  And even when it is, I can't imagine that miners are going to be willing to process a scripted transaction without a fee.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 11:24:02 PM

The current vanilla client doesn't refuse to forward the transaction, but most miners are not going to include the transaction until it's old enough to qualify as a free transaction.  I believe that the current client defaults to a transaction fee, but that can be changed in the settings.  The vanilla client will refuse to create a transaction based upon an input transaction that is newer than 6 confirmations old.

Oh, my bad. I was sure that it was the others won't forward it. So a modified client can flood the network? Everyone will forward? Reference to a thread about the current state of this would be much appreciated.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: