Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:48:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are airdrops safe?  (Read 9423 times)
justinjja (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:29:30 PM

The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?
Or is signing a message different than signing a transaction?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rosezionjohn

Activity: 882
Merit: 301

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:35:01 PM

The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?

It has been a while since I have joined an airdrop. From my experience, none of them has asked me to sign anything. Airdrops are supposed to be free and you do not need to send anything to them. Anyone asking you to send first are scams.
justinjja (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:39:38 PM

Any airdrop that doesn't go to all BTC holders would needs something from you.
Bitcoin Rhodium and Mimble Wimble Coin are a couple that I know of.
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2172

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2019, 05:46:00 PM

I don't think all airdrops are safe. There are few legit airdrop but it's very difficult to recover your gas fee for make transaction. There is few scammer who would ask you sign a message with their code, if you do that then you might lose your fund. Because by their code they are asking for fund, if you sign it fund would go to their address. So be careful about free airdrops.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ifemini

Activity: 690
Merit: 12

There are consequences for every action

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2019, 05:54:17 PM

Airdrops are safe; but you need to keep yourself secure
Do not disclose your private key to anyone
Do not give out your personal informations either

Always dyor
Galley

Activity: 1274
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:56:16 PM

I try not to participate in airdrop in which something is asked to sign, if I do not fully understand what exactly needs to be done and is it safe for me. It is generally not safe to carry out these manipulations, fraudsters are not asleep.
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:57:18 PM

As long as they don't ask you to give away your private keys or install anything (infected), you will be safe. There is no way they can access your wallet by making you sign a message. Also, some airdrops might ask you to submit KYC documents. Avoid those at all cost. High chances they will end up selling your information online.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
terencio

Activity: 742
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 06:09:41 PM

This kind of airdrop is malicious, when you sign up for airdrop that  is should be free, nothing wrong with free token, but be careful with the data that you provided and don't simply give your private key.

vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 06:10:25 PM

Sending airdrop to your address may not create or permit anyone to steal your coins, moreover, airdrops are mostly sent in to Ethereum wallets not Bitcoin.
Just be extremely careful when trying to sign messages or make transactions .
Besides airdrops are worthless, they are mostly equivalent to few cents or dollars to the tokens or coins. So why take the risk just because you want to claim some tokens.
Christinebeauty
Copper Member

Activity: 420
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 06:15:36 PM

I have paused participating in airdrops for a while. Because I end up receiving shit coins which never get listed. Some would even make it a form of contest and ask you to purchase their tokens to earn more points

cepot9

Activity: 1050
Merit: 102

Cryptocurrency addict | Invest at your own risk.

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 06:25:27 PM

somehow airdrop is an event that is simple, easy, free and safe. if they have done a strange and suspicious new thing you don't need to join him because there are still many other projects
Handsome Boy
Copper Member

Activity: 812

I ❤ ₿itcoin and Ethereum

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:11:58 PM

as long as I follow Airdrop, I think everything is safe and very easy to participate in Airdrop, because the team usually only tells you to follow Twitter and Facebook and then share and retweet the posts that are made, after that you will fill in the form, that is address of wallet to receive airdrop and proof if you have done the requirements that have been requested, so participating in airdrop is not possible to make your Bitcoin lost and can be transferred to them.
Xalata

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:15:26 PM

I have participated in some bounties as well as airdrops that tells you to deposit some money into a specific wallet before you can receive your money. That is a scam and anytime you see something like that, just exit scam.

abake

Activity: 555

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:21:27 PM

Have stopped airdrop for a very long time, but signing in can not make your btc vulnerable but when you are asked to provide private key then its suspicious, also make sure you don't sign in through a phishingsite

[ IQ ]           cash            ▐               THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                          ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
CLywaTeLb

Activity: 770
Merit: 101

send and receive money instantly, no hidden costs

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:35:46 PM

Sometimes I participate in airdrop, which are provided by trusted bounty managers in this forum. The maximum that needs to be done is to retweet, repost, join the telegram group. Nowhere was it necessary to provide a signature or, especially, a private key or to install software.
Rarely at the airdrop spread more than $20 equivalent. It’s definitely not worth risking to provide any data (including a signature).

Aqcizromencez

Activity: 486
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:39:19 PM

I have participated in various airdrops from my experience Airdrop is a free coin or token just by doing light duty, like and share on their social media and fill out the form, if airdrop is from an exchange, you must register on their stock and do a Kyc if needed. but if you are asked to give a private key or deposit BTC, ETH then do not do it is clearly fraud.

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 4152

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2019, 07:43:57 PM

I don't think all airdrops are safe. There are few legit airdrop but it's very difficult to recover your gas fee for make transaction.

Definitely not all Airdrops are safe and also kindly stay as far away as you can from Airdrops that required you to sign or verify a message, most of them (99%) are scams. Legitimate Airdrop especially does that don't require any social media task (like following or liking of Facebook page, Twitter handles, sharing or retweets etc) are usually safe. Some examples are receiving free coins due to forks or for just holding a particular coin in your wallet etc. Scammers are exploring new ways to scam victims and the use of free services that attract participants in their numbers like Airdrops have been their most target.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
proTECH77

Activity: 1120
Merit: 30

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:48:35 PM

There could be a malicious airdrop and when you see such airdrop as  a forum member anywhere, you should know that. Asking for private keys or giving you a link to sign up with could be an attempt to take control over your funds. For now, I haven't seen or see.any airdrop that actually worth holding at the moment.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄          bisq.network          ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
<<<<<<<<<<<Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀          DOWNLOAD    N O W           ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
[btc]YSG

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:49:48 PM

Don't fall prey to any link asking you sign a transaction or providing you with a form asking you for your password, 2FA, or private keys, such forms are only going to be used to steal your coins and tokens.

◀ ▲ ▶  WE are GAMERS and we know what Gamers WANT  ◀ ▲ ▶
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰    ❘ ❙ ❚   eSports.com   ❚ ❙ ❘    ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ (http://esports.com/)
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:58:44 PM

Most airdrops are safe if you know how to protect yourself. Make sure you don't install unverified files or install them on a virtual machine first or on a computer that doesn't store your passwords and your keys.

Airdrop scammers can't steal from you if you don't give them anything. Make a new email every time and don't leak your private info.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: