Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:00:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: J7 Chain has 0 Asic  (Read 475 times)
eotrix (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 11:22:12 PM

I see that message in Kernel and the hashboard does not even show up on Miner Status screen. In kernel log, It says found 0 Asic in that hashboard. It was showing 33 ASIC and I replaced the 34th chip then I run the S9 with only that hashboard and It says found 0 ASIC and hashboard does not even show up on Miner status page.

I wanna know if anyone has any idea what might have happened to the hashboard? I Unpurposely break the hasboard circuit? Or It shows 0 Asic only when 1st Chip is faulty? So I mistakely caused 1st chip to fail during replacement? Please help me on this one. I have some more hashboards with 45, 54 etc ASIC found and now Im scared to make replacement for the chips coz of that 0 Asic thing after last repair. What might have happened or specificly in what cases it says found 0 Asic in kernel log?(That means the S9 sees the hasboard but finds 0 Asic/Chip on it but dunno in what cases it logs like that)

Thank you.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 3022

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2019, 11:37:17 PM

If you replace the bad chip in the wrong position there is a possibility that the hashboard is shorted that turns into a dead hashboard on mining status.
I suggest you troubleshoot and check the resistance of the chip if you put them correctly or the chip is shorted.

There is a video in my bookmark list how to diagnose the hashboard and test the resistance of the chip.

You can check the video from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WH7g61d90w

Also, don't forget to post your kernel logs here and maybe we can find the problem on the kernel logs.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2019, 09:32:49 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2019, 01:05:13 AM by frodocooper

I will check the resistance values as you suggest but I wonder if I should do it with powering on the hashboard or off? I did not have all logs when I posted it but I will update for sure with the whole log. Also lets say I replaced the wrong positioned chip, should not I still see 30ish Asic found? Im asking coz I dunno, Im new on replacing chip so maybe you might have an idea.

Last and important thing for me sir, can you say if Kernel log and miner page says found/Has 44 Asic then its 44th/45th chip that fails or any other random one? Do I have to buy Fixture device to detect bad chip or that way also works? This is kinda also important for me since I will keep replacing bad chips.
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 6424

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 27, 2019, 03:50:39 PM

Last and important thing for me sir, can you say if Kernel log and miner page says found/Has 44 Asic then its 44th/45th chip that fails or any other random one? Do I have to buy Fixture device to detect bad chip or that way also works? This is kinda also important for me since I will keep replacing bad chips..

I have very limited knowledge on regards to fixing a hash board, but I am almost certain that whatever number shows on the kernel will not help you detect what chip is bad , you need one of the following

1-By the fixture device , a similar one in the video that BitMaxz posted

or

2-Manually test voltage and resistance of each and every chip by using Fulke 15B+

here is a clearer video that shows how to test the voltage and resistance >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAiaHwRkrC4.

If i am not mistaken, the Fixture device only helps detecting what chip is bad without having to test all of them, and assuming you won't be fixing a dozen of them , then I don't think it's worth buying.

Incredible you are allowed to talk shit like that.

I posted an article about cooling with oil which got deleted.

OP has a valid question regarding something that is mining related, why do you think it's shit-talk?  I haven't seen your topic but it must have been deleted/moved for a reason, you should pm the mod and ask for explanation, some people think that frodocooper is bit too much in terms of moderating but I personally think he is going a great job, so I am positive that there must be a mistake somewhere.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2019, 11:41:38 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2019, 01:06:33 AM by frodocooper

Thank you for taking time to answer me. I had a few hashboards with bad chips and I remember I tested all test points(clk, co, rst etc) resistance values but all of them were fine. No abnormal value found. I also today powered on the hashboard and checked voltage values of all test points, found an abnormal on one hashboard but still nothing on others but miner interface still shows 45 asic and 13 asic for those hasboards. So I failed to detect an abnormal value on all 5 test points of all 63 chips.. Both voltage and resistance values were fine but obviously there is at least one bad chip. My questions in that regard sir;
1. Is it so important that I should be using that expensive Fulke multimeter coz mine is not that costly so not as much quality.
2. What else I can do to detect the bad chip?
3. Text fixture(as far as I saw on videos) also shows like found/has XX(Number) Asic like in Kernel log, is not it? So really if kernel shows 10 asic on a hashboard, could it be the 50th chip? Will Fixture device show that its not 10/11 but 50th chip?
4.(The Most Important) Can you say that It will %100 show an abnormal value on either resistance or voltage values if I check every single chips' test points on a hashboard? Coz I have time and ambition to do that sir.

Im really sorry for newbie questions here, Im here to learn from the expert and more experienced people. This thing looks like it depends on the experience to figure what means what.
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 6424

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 28, 2019, 02:06:32 AM

1. Is it so important that I should be using that expensive Fulke multimeter coz mine is not that costly so not as much quality.

Of course not, the multimeter does not have to be expensive,anything that has the functions needed will do the job, here , this guy uses a different multimeter > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKlMciBvb8A

2. What else I can do to detect the bad chip?

Non that I know of , aside from using the fixture or testing each and every chip.

3. Text fixture(as far as I saw on videos) also shows like found/has XX(Number) Asic like in Kernel log, is not it? So really if kernel shows 10 asic on a hashboard, could it be the 50th chip? Will Fixture device show that its not 10/11 but 50th chip?

I am "almost" certain that the log won't detect the exact chip , first of all , if it does , then how do you explain most chips show 0 asic or 57 asics, I have never had a kernel log reading 44asics, 15 asics it's always the same sets of numbers, also if the kernel log was to give you this, then nobody would have made that fixture tool , in fact even "S9 Repair guide manual" mentions something related to using the fixture and multiplier.

4.(The Most Important) Can you say that It will %100 show an abnormal value on either resistance or voltage values if I check every single chips' test points on a hashboard? Coz I have time and ambition to do that sir.

After reading the "S9 Repair guide manual" I am  100% certain that a bad chip will show abnormal values IF tested correctly.

I came across the "S9 Repair guide manual" after visiting that Chinese Youtuber's  website in an attempt to make a bit of research for you on this subject, I found that on his website he has a link to a PDF file which is the "S9 Repair guide manual[EN]" seems like it came from Bitmain, that PDF file has almost every single tiny detail about troubleshooting Antminer S9 , after all this time , I am surprised that I haven't came across it, anyhow you should read it , it has all the answers you need.

keep in mind that his website has 1/71 on Virustotal , which means that one engine out of 72 detected this URLas Malware which I think is false positive, but be careful and visit it at your own risk.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2019, 08:32:40 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2019, 01:07:16 AM by frodocooper

I see, thank you I will check that guide but I have to say that in my cases kernel never show the same number. Its 0 asic for one hashboard, 13 asic for the other, 45 for another, 52 for another, 33 for another etc. Thats why aı thought It might give an idea but if u say so,I will test all points. Also sir just to share experience, When I checked the values for the board that shows 13th chip, It was 13th chip that seemed faulty but for 33 showing one it was 34th.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: