Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:11:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a Rig (First timer asking for advice)  (Read 931 times)
Kunaika (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:20:03 PM

***Note: I know some people like the whole story, and some dont give a S. So I bolded/underlined important things. Please and thanks for the help!***

Hi all!

Please be noob friendly, I am still learning!!!!

I was learning about bitcoin and altcoins
I think the main conclusion is ASIC for bitcoin.
And GPU mining rigs for altcoins until new stuff comes out lol.

I like to think I am decently tech savvy. I think I quiet a bit with general PC troubleshooting, maintaining, tweeks here and there. That experience has allowed me to learn and practice basic adjusting/setting up bios, drivers, OS, partitioning, etc.

As for hardware, I know the general components to build a computer, mobo, cpu, gpu, psu, etc. But I NEVER installed a CPU. I think I know how, but honesty, I am just way to scared to put in a CPU. I just feel like I am could touch it and it will break >.>....

But I have started trying to learn much more though crypto currency and I decided to research, learn, and maybe attempt to build a rig.
The web has too much information, and I dont want to end up doing something stupid lol.
I wanted some help and clarification to make sure I am learning things right, before I start buying stuff

General stuff I Learned or Questioned, Feel free to comment, assist, ask, slap me!

• PCI-e ##x does not really matter what the number is as long as it is compatible with the graphics card. Most GPUs are at 16x, but you can always use a PCI-e extender and use PCI-e 1x with a GPU that requires 16x.
  • PCI-e transfer rate (the numbers before the x) does not really affect mining speeds.
  • Motherboards required to support multiple GPU's need CROSSFIREX(for ATI cards) or SLI(for nVida cards) compatibility, which allows you to use multiple GPUs. I saw that someone post that they mined WITHOUT it, but I rather not question or try that.
  • Do not skimp on the power supply. The PSU should be able to support your card(s), roughly, anything worth buying 7950, r9s should use about 200-400watts. PSU efficiency can lower the wattage needed.
  • CPU does not really matter, because all of the work will be done with the PSU.
  • For super pro-ness, you need to adjust custom drivers and find the most optimal settings for cgiminer

And then I had some questions/comments for clarification! Please help/clarify if you can:

• I think you can use multiple types of GPU's to mine? I do not think it matters, they do have to be the same if you are using the GPUs to improve graphics, since SLI/Crossfire doesn't work with different cards. But since we are using the cards to mine, it does not matter. Right? lol
  • How the F-, can you calculate how much wattage/Hour or day that are using? I see all these calculators that determine profit, but I do not understand how we can insert wattage into the fields. Like everyone advertises or says that it uses #####w. But does that mean per day? Overall? Hour? Or is it a universal thing I just dont know about?
  • Even with optimal cooling, a lot of people are running cards at 100% efficiency, 24/7 foreverrrrrrrrrr, wouldnt the cards be too strained and just die out? Or is there a rest time?
  • Should your GPU's fan be at 100% or is lower better? I assume having other things to cool the GPU's and keeping the fan UNDER 100% would make it last longer and lessen the strain. Or is it better for good outside cooling + 100% fan?
  • Can you use riser cables with pcie extenders?
  • Meh, thats all for now, I thought I had more... But thats it.

PLEASE AND THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP! <333333333333 OR FEEL FREE TO IGNORE MY POST, ITS ALL GRAVY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:41:12 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2014, 06:59:25 PM by Wipeout2097

• PCI-e ##x does not really matter what the number is as long as it is compatible with the graphics card. Most GPUs are at 16x, but you can always use a PCI-e extender and use PCI-e 1x with a GPU that requires 16x.
  • PCI-e transfer rate (the numbers before the x) does not really affect mining speeds.
  • Motherboards required to support multiple GPU's need CROSSFIREX(for ATI cards) or SLI(for nVida cards) compatibility, which allows you to use multiple GPUs. I saw that someone post that they mined WITHOUT it, but I rather not question or try that.
  • Do not skimp on the power supply. The PSU should be able to support your card(s), roughly, anything worth buying 7950, r9s should use about 200-400watts. PSU efficiency can lower the wattage needed.
  • CPU does not really matter, because all of the work will be done with the PSU.
  • For super pro-ness, you need to adjust custom drivers and find the most optimal settings for cgiminer
PCI-e version and speed usually does not matter. However be aware that some slots may have indirect links to the CPU, i.e. with a northbridge in between doing translation and managing peripherals through a few PCI-e lanes. This is more common on Intel platforms. In these situations, you may lose hashrate.

Don't skimp on the PSU, indeed. Consider 200W per 280x or 7950, minimum and after undervolting the cards. Don't use a PSU at above 80% capacity 24/7 specially at high ambient temperature. Single rail PSUs are easy to work with, multi-rail have some extra precautions but can be a pain in the ass to balance the load. If you can get an EVGA Supernova G2 1300W for a decent price, go for it. Some guys use 2 PSUs per rig, but dual PSU with powered risers is only recomended for experienced miners.

CPU does not matter for scrypt, that's for sure. I suggest though that you pick a dual-core Sempron 180/190 for $5 more than a Sempron 145 or a PentiumG for Intel platforms. You'll use CGWatcher, Teamviewer, MSI Afterburner, etc... mine coins that need more CPU side validation. That said, I don't really want to argue the point.

Adjusting settings isn't really pro-ness, it's a necessity after you throw 2000€ into hardware and pay 0.1 ~ 0.25€ / KW/h.
  • I think you can use multiple types of GPU's to mine? I do not think it matters, they do have to be the same if you are using the GPUs to improve graphics, since SLI/Crossfire doesn't work with different cards. But since we are using the cards to mine, it does not matter. Right? lol
  • How the F-, can you calculate how much wattage/Hour or day that are using? I see all these calculators that determine profit, but I do not understand how we can insert wattage into the fields. Like everyone advertises or says that it uses #####w. But does that mean per day? Overall? Hour? Or is it a universal thing I just dont know about?
  • Even with optimal cooling, a lot of people are running cards at 100% efficiency, 24/7 foreverrrrrrrrrr, wouldnt the cards be too strained and just die out? Or is there a rest time?
  • Should your GPU's fan be at 100% or is lower better? I assume having other things to cool the GPU's and keeping the fan UNDER 100% would make it last longer and lessen the strain. Or is it better for good outside cooling + 100% fan?
  • Can you use riser cables with pcie extenders?
  • Meh, thats all for now, I thought I had more... But thats it.
You can use multiple types of GPUs to mine, yes. I suggest you stick to R9-270, R9-280 and R9-280x. The R9-290's are harder to mod and undervolt. Sometimes it can be convenient to have a rig with N cards and a half( Tongue), e.g. 4 280x and a single R9-270, due to the PSU you're using. For example, you have enough power for more than 4 280x but you're not comfortable with 5.

To calculate wattage, you get a device like a KillAWatt. Otherwise to get a general idea, use HwInfo software, watch the GPU and VRAM power usage and multiply by ~1.3

Cards WILL get strained and die. The temperature reported by the miner software isn't the only one, VRMs can reach 110ºC and the ram temperature isn't really known. That's why it is MANDATORY to undervolt by modding the bios. There are plenty threads about this, even a famous one by drakoin here on the forum.

The fans shouldn't need to go above 70%. If they do, you need to undervolt more and get better cooling.

Make sure you get those PCI-e powered risers with USB cabling. Connect the videocards, move them away from the motherboard and provide ample ventilation. I suggest the videocard driving the display should be connected on the PCI-e 16x slot, for convenience and stability, but it isn't mandatory to do so.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 08:40:46 PM

Motherboards required to support multiple GPU's need CROSSFIREX(for ATI cards) or SLI(for nVida cards) compatibility, which allows you to use multiple GPUs. I saw that someone post that they mined WITHOUT it, but I rather not question or try that.
Sorry, but this is wrong. I Got a non XF (1 x16PCIE and 2x x1PCIE) motherboard and it's running 3x R9 290 without a problem.

SLI / XF doesn't matter for mining and it can actually interfere with mining properly - not that I ever had any issues with it, but just from reading around what other people wrote.

• But does that mean per day? Overall? Hour? Or is it a universal thing I just dont know about?
In 99.99% of the cases the measurement will be watt per hour.

The R9-290's are harder to mod and undervolt.
They are fairly straight forward to mod using MSI Afterburner (and I assume you aren't talking about clock speed profiles).

That's why it is MANDATORY to undervolt by modding the bios. There are plenty threads about this, even a famous one by drakoin here on the forum.
Bios modding isn't mandatory. But it is recommended in case you get Elpida or HynixMFR that you get one of Stilts modded bios, otherwise, Afterburner for voltage and clocks is just as good.

The fans shouldn't need to go above 70%. If they do, you need to undervolt more and get better cooling.
This statement really depends on the card. It's nearly impossible (and not really needed) to get stock R9 290 to be cool (<85) with 70% fan speed (and whatever undervolting you do), with 85% on the other hand, you can and that's also the consensus to how much strain you wanna put on the fans for 24/7 operation.
But regardless, the point is, you don't wanna run at 100% speed or close to it 24/7. The lower you can get away with, the better.

Everything else is pretty much as Wipeout2097 said.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

That's why it is MANDATORY to undervolt by modding the bios. There are plenty threads about this, even a famous one by drakoin here on the forum.
Bios modding isn't mandatory. But it is recommended in case you get Elpida or HynixMFR that you get one of Stilts modded bios, otherwise, Afterburner for voltage and clocks is just as good.
What is "mandatory" is just undervolting the cards, not the actual method to do so.  I should have been clear though.

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Kunaika (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 12:32:40 AM

You can use multiple types of GPUs to mine, yes. I suggest you stick to R9-270, R9-280 and R9-280x. The R9-290's are harder to mod and undervolt. Sometimes it can be convenient to have a rig with N cards and a half( Tongue), e.g. 4 280x and a single R9-270, due to the PSU you're using. For example, you have enough power for more than 4 280x but you're not comfortable with 5.

Super awesome! I plan on looking for some 270s, but I would like to get 280x if I get a chance.

And overall, thanks so much for the help and advice! I am going to have to learn more and research undervolting. I will try to find some more threads about it, and google around.

Super Kudos!

Starscream, super thanks to you too!

I am glad you mentioned this, I was hoping to find an easier way to work on the technical stuff lol.

And thanks for going into more depth on the fans! <333

***edited after thought:
Really, thanks guys, I will be referring back to these things here to refresh on stuff as I progress!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: