Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:55:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Orvels "1984" closer than ever?  (Read 303 times)
btcforthewin (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 01, 2019, 09:02:20 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2019, 01:01:25 PM by btcforthewin
Merited by vapourminer (1), Vod (1)

I believe that those who are passionate about crypto currencies and block-chain technology in general also value their privacy and freedom .This is why I thought that this information about privacy and messaging cryptography would fit right in.

As many of you know, there has been a lot of public discussion and court action on Facebook's data policies including German court, Belgian court findings and Cambridge Analytica scandal. In short, all of those scandals are about Facebook's data stealing , privacy bending and last but not least- using data to  sway political elections one or other way. More on their legal hearings here. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-s-2018-timeline-scandals-hearings-security-bugs-n952796

For those who dont know , Whatsapp was bought by Facebook in 2014 for  $21.8 billion or at the time it would mean that they paid  $55 per user ! This story is about Whatsapp and how Facebook will most likely destroy any shred of our privacy in the name of “ security of public” .

The whatsapp will be continuously – non stop scanning our messages and then if flagged by some keywords or something else, the messages will be sent to central system to be evaluated without users knowing what is happening.

..Facebook announced earlier this year preliminary results from its efforts to move a global mass surveillance infrastructure directly onto users’ devices where it can bypass the protections of end-to-end encryption.
In Facebook’s vision, the actual end-to-end encryption client itself such as WhatsApp will include embedded content moderation and blacklist filtering algorithms. These algorithms will be continually updated from a central cloud service, but will run locally on the user’s device, scanning each cleartext message before it is sent and each encrypted message after it is decrypted.

The company even noted that when it detects violations it will need to quietly stream a copy of the formerly encrypted content back to its central servers to analyze further, even if the user objects, acting as true wiretapping service.

Basically facebook will be wiretapping every phone which has whatsapp and using them. This makes me wonder, if this kind of behavior is acceptable for them, what kind of  information they already are stealing from our phones with their facebook apps. Not a pleasant though.

Facebook’s model entirely bypasses the encryption debate by globalizing the current practice of compromising devices by building those encryption bypasses directly into the communications clients themselves and deploying what amounts to machine-based wiretaps to billions of users at once.

In addition they are not saying when they are going to implement this.

Asked the current status of this work and when it might be deployed in the production version of WhatsApp, a company spokesperson declined to comment. Of course, Facebook’s efforts apply only to its own encryption clients, leaving criminals and terrorists to turn to other clients like Signal or their own bespoke clients they control the source code of.
The problem is that if Facebook’s model succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before device manufacturers and mobile operating system developers embed similar tools directly into devices themselves, making them impossible to escape. Embedding content scanning tools directly into phones would make it possible to scan all apps, including ones like Signal, effectively ending the era of encrypted communications.

Governments would soon use lawful court orders to require companies to build in custom filters of content they are concerned about and automatically notify them of violations, including sending a copy of the offending content.

Maybe this is starting with the white and fluffy intentions of catching criminals and terrorists . But surely it will open some very dangerous doors for governments to monitor whatever they like. For example those who do not agree with their governments policies..  I believe that all this is done just to get access to more of our data, we all know how huge data market is grown, data and information is money! The more they know, the more precisely they can sell shit to us and sway our votes.

This new piece has me wondering if we are heading to cold controlled world Orvel describes in his book  “1984’’ sooner than we can imagine..

Read the full article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2019/07/26/the-encryption-debate-is-over-dead-at-the-hands-of-facebook/#490c1d675362

P.S. Hope that this section of forum is correct for this thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 02, 2019, 07:35:22 PM
Merited by friends1980 (1)

The difference between 1984 and real life is that plenty of us are actually volunteering for it and actively pursuing it in many a case.

If you'd told George Orwell that he would've tossed his cookies.
btcforthewin (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2019, 12:58:31 PM

The difference between 1984 and real life is that plenty of us are actually  for it and actively pursuing it in many a case.

As for 'volunteering'
I have encountered 2 types of thinking.
1. I dont care , let them steal my data, i dont have anything to hide. Possibly they would change their minds if they knew what exactly Whatsapp will be doing with their conversations in future.
2. They simply dont know, they are not aware of the extent and what they are doing with the data. I feel that there are many who think that  data stealing is not that real. This is why I think that we need to inform others about this topic.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 04:03:07 PM

Orvels "1984" is my favorite book.
So, are we closer to Orvels "1984"?
I believe that we already live in Orvels "1984".
''Big brother'' who sees everything and knows everything, sounds familiar?
State propaganda deciding what the public will know and what they will not, sounds familiar?
The truth is twisted and manipulated so that people no longer know what to believe, sounds familiar?
Populists who lead people into a better future and fight against the enemies of the people, sounds familiar?
Trump, Putin, China, North Korea tc.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 04:10:07 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4), ovcijisir (1)

We're nowhere near it. Something far more powerful and insidious has snuck up instead.

1984 portrayed a world that was broken and almost completely brought to heel with only the slightest glimmer of free will. 1984 forces itself on you. The modern iteration attempts to seduce you or distract you into submission.

Making people think they've chosen the society they've wound up in is vastly more powerful and long lasting than one they feel has been imposed on them.

For the average inhabitant of a developed and nominally democratic country free will is available but you have to choose to seek it out, not assume that you already have it. Keeping the ever creeping intrusions at bay are achievable but it takes wilful effort. The hate and fear they're attempting to force into your mind can be shut off completely if you wish it.

Those who can't be bothered or don't feel the need have a vast selection of bright shiny things to keep them content. That's about as different from a jackboot stamping on your face forever as possible while still retaining a similar motivation and will have a much higher success rate.

paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
August 11, 2019, 12:56:20 PM

The difference between 1984 and real life is that plenty of us are actually volunteering for it and actively pursuing it in many a case.

No system can work without collaboration(ist?).

How does the wild capitalism work?

5% of mega-wealthy
10% of wealthy.
10% of people who make a good living serving those above.
25% of people that are scared to loose what they have, are convinced by propaganda, or vote with their guts,...

This sums 50% of the population and 90% of the economic resources. Whatever the other 50% of the population thinks, suffers or endures is irrelevant for the system.

Individual rights are taken care of by means of successive shocks (shock doctrine) and allow even more discretionary action and less social balances.
btcforthewin (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2019, 05:29:59 PM

No system can work without collaboration(ist?).

How does the wild capitalism work?

5% of mega-wealthy
10% of wealthy.
10% of people who make a good living serving those above.
25% of people that are scared to loose what they have, are convinced by propaganda, or vote with their guts,...

I think your data about wealth distribution is incorrect.
This source https://inequality.org/facts/global-inequality/ quotes that 1% owns 45 % of the wealth and i believe that this is much closer to reality.

The real question in the context of data usage against the population itself for political gain is how many are exposed and how easily their minds are influenced by ads and relevant information.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
August 11, 2019, 07:41:27 PM

I think your data about wealth distribution is incorrect.

I did not provide data as such, just opinion, I did not mention that what said was worldwide opinion (which can also be inferred from me speaking about votes, a rarity in the world). What I said is not disproved by the reference you provide, in fact it actually reinforces it if you consider in gross terms the percent controlled by the mega-wealthy and the wealthy.

I am surprised to see newbies on this section. Not that I find anything wrong with you particularly.

btcforthewin (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2019, 09:27:49 AM

I am surprised to see newbies on this section. Not that I find anything wrong with you particularly.

I posted the thread somewhere else, apparently it did not fit there and it was moved here.
After that I noticed that I am unable to post on other serious discussion threads, I suppose that means that this thread is ' special' .

Frustrating tough that cant post on other threads yet.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2019, 06:09:09 PM

I posted the thread somewhere else, apparently it did not fit there and it was moved here.
After that I noticed that I am unable to post on other serious discussion threads, I suppose that means that this thread is ' special' .

Frustrating tough that cant post on other threads yet.
I believe it is because Jr. Members and above are able to access Serious discussion, but you were given authorization to this thread because you are the creator thereof. 3 more activity and you'll have full access.
ovcijisir

Activity: 1489
Merit: 325

🐪

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2019, 03:29:01 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

~
1984 forces itself on you. The modern iteration attempts to seduce you or distract you into submission.
~
Those who can't be bothered or don't feel the need have a vast selection of bright shiny things to keep them content. That's about as different from a jackboot stamping on your face forever as possible while still retaining a similar motivation and will have a much higher success rate.
~

You forgot to mention lazyness.

Shiny things, distraction and lazyness are shackles of todays society.

For example apps that make us highly productive are given for "free".

This has two consequences:
      1. Competition is slowly dying - "free" app has monopoly
      2. When we get used to use "free" app, we will not have ability to function without them.

When there is no alternative apps, and when users are addicted - the price of the app can then be as high as owner wants (money, personal information, etc).
carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 09:16:59 AM

From OP's post, I'm thinking what other way the social media providers can do their service without having access to the information logged in there to their apps provided for use like Facebook and Whatsapp as the point of discuss (No way), the information must be seen if they want to access it because they are regulated by the government.
I think the remedy therefore for the protection of rights is to sue if found guilty of illegal, unwarranted and unauthorised disclosure.

[quote author=ovcijisir link=topic=5171376.msg52187574#msg52187574 date=1566055741

For example apps that make us highly productive are given for "free".

This has two consequences:
      1. Competition is slowly dying - "free" app has monopoly
      2. When we get used to use "free" app, we will not have ability to function without them.

But don't you think that the apps that come freely that you, I and others install to our gadgets, that ease our lives in this digital age and also make money from or serve as source of money for us is coming to the world because of the very high level of competition. I think competition is very high now and every business is trying to survive, hence the making of various freebies to attract patronage. Companies have left making money through apps but have gone into making money through real use, end use as things like pay as you use or go, data and megabites usage etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: