Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:06:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help - backup questions  (Read 931 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:24:51 PM

I have small amounts of Bitcoins scattered between Coinbase, Blockchain.info, cryptsy, and several paper wallets. I have decided to do the following:

1) consolidate all Bitcoins into the Bitcoin.qt client
2) turn the encryption on (and store that password in a safe place)
3) backup my encrypted wallet to my Dropbox.com account
4) copy backup to a flash Drive

I am running a very old 2007 iMac computer. Any day it could drop dead. If I do all of the following, and my iMac drops dead, will I loose my Bitcoins?

Thanks!
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:30:12 PM

I have small amounts of Bitcoins scattered between Coinbase, Blockchain.info, cryptsy, and several paper wallets. I have decided to do the following:

I am running a very old 2007 iMac computer. Any day it could drop dead. If I do all of the following, and my iMac drops dead, will I loose my Bitcoins?

Thanks!

As long as you have the backup wallet file and your encryption password, your bitcoin is not lost.

Of course, if your computer HDD die right after step 1 or step 2, you would be in trouble lol.
I hope you won't be that unlucky. Tongue

GAML

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:54:29 PM

yes if the hard drive dies and you do not have a wallet back up file then you lose all of your coins.  Copy and back up the wallet file regularly and keep a copy in multiple places; for example usb pen drives and external hardrive.

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:17:35 AM

As long as you don't create new addresses, or change anything with the wallet, you can go ahead and back-up the wallet right now. Then send the Bitcoin(s) to that address later.

You can always back-up the wallet again after you send the coins. Shouldn't matter either way. But you can get the back-up done now instead of later (when you might not have a working PC)

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:19:57 AM

Always make a backup put it on a USB stick and make sure it's also secured in case something happens to your Mac

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 02:21:44 PM

If you continue to use the Bitcoin-Qt wallet after you back it up, you'll need to create a new backup on a regular basis.

With default settings, the Bitcoin-Qt wallet only backs up enough to recover the next 100 addresses used.  Bitcoin-Qt uses a new address every time you click the "New Address" button, but it also uses an new address (which it keeps hidden from you) every time you send a transaction.
MonkeyDOH

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 03:06:53 PM

Yes Drbitcoin you will lose every single bitcoin if your iMac drops dead so use an online storage to avoid that.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 05:03:39 PM

Thanks!

Since your actual coins are stored on the blockchain and not your computer, the flash/dropbox backups will keep you safe.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 06:28:34 PM

Thanks!

If you have a valid backup of your private keys (e.g burn wallet.dat to a CD), then you are covered.

You do realise your bitcoins are stored on the bitcoin blockchain and not on your computer or anywhere else? Your bitcoins don't get 'lost' when your computer crashes, they are still where you left them. Its just you loose the private key that give you access to the bitcoins on the blockchain.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:01:14 AM

Thanks!

If you have a valid backup of your private keys (e.g burn wallet.dat to a CD), then you are covered.

You do realise your bitcoins are stored on the bitcoin blockchain and not on your computer or anywhere else? Your bitcoins don't get 'lost' when your computer crashes, they are still where you left them. Its just you loose the private key that give you access to the bitcoins on the blockchain.

So I physically have to find the wallet.dat file and drag it to a usb drive? It isn't enough to click "backup" and rename "untitled.dat" to something like "bitcoinbackup.dat" and save that to a usb? Is that the same thing?
DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:04:29 AM

If you continue to use the Bitcoin-Qt wallet after you back it up, you'll need to create a new backup on a regular basis.

With default settings, the Bitcoin-Qt wallet only backs up enough to recover the next 100 addresses used.  Bitcoin-Qt uses a new address every time you click the "New Address" button, but it also uses an new address (which it keeps hidden from you) every time you send a transaction.

Woah what? Damn this shit is confusing. So if I backup once a week, is that enough? Is it ok to backup over and delete the old backups or should I save them all?
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:14:06 AM

Woah what? Damn this shit is confusing. So if I backup once a week, is that enough?

It depends.
If you generate more than 100 new addresses (including new change addresses) in a week, then you will need to backup more often.

Is it ok to backup over and delete the old backups or should I save them all?

It is okay to delete old backups, as long as you have the new backup.

BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 10:58:55 AM

Thanks!

Yes, it is no coincidence that it's called a private 'key'.
That string of characters gives you access to your coins, the amount of coins is stored in the block chain.

Woah what? Damn this shit is confusing. So if I backup once a week, is that enough?

It depends.
If you generate more than 100 new addresses (including new change addresses) in a week, then you will need to backup more often.

It is okay to delete old backups, as long as you have the new backup.

He's right. So:
making payments + making new addresses > 100     =>      make new backup

I would delete the old backup right after making the new one. Or just keep them all, the files aren't that large.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:22:18 AM

So I physically have to find the wallet.dat file and drag it to a usb drive? It isn't enough to click "backup" and rename "untitled.dat" to something like "bitcoinbackup.dat" and save that to a usb? Is that the same thing?

If you are using Bitcoin-Qt, then clicking "backup" in the program menus is the same thing as dragging the wallet.dat file to copy it.  Actually, the "backup" menu option is safer.  If you try to drag the wallet.dat while Bitcoin-Qt is running you risk copying it while it is in an inconsistent state and ending up with a damaged backup.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:31:39 AM

That depends on how many addresses and transactions you are using per day.  If you create a business that results in sending over 100 transactions per day, then a weekly backup won't be enough.  If you generate 1 new address per week, and send 2 transactions per month, then backing up once a year will be enough.

Generally, I recommend keeping an approximate count of the number of times you've clicked the "New Address" button as well as the number of transactions that you've sent since the last backup.  When the sum of those 2 numbers is approximately 25 or 30, it's a good time to create a new backup.

Then I recommend keeping the 3 most recent backups at all times.  That way if the most recent backup is lost, damaged, or otherwise unusable you'll still have another backup or two that you can use that will have access to all your bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: