Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:03:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK Guy - looking for 12v solar panels for mining project  (Read 204 times)
minerja (OP)

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 03:44:34 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2019, 04:11:34 PM by minerja

Hi,

I'm looking into a solar project to utilise 2 massive old batteries and a 300 watt invertor i was given

The batteries are 12v, 225AH each

and the invertor is a Maplin special 300 watt invertor.

So i am hoping to find some generous people who perhaps have some panels / controllers that they no longer need.

Since i only have 1 invertor rated @ 300w, which i wouldn't trust running 24hrs/day @ say more than 75%, i'm guessing i need about 200-300 watts worth of panels.

I know zero about solar, but am guessing all the gear must exist for me to connect diff types / powers of panels to 1 controller, and to my batteries, so i can link to the invertor...

I've seen these on FB Market place https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/416919618915712/ or https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/700632917027043/ , but have no idea how, if they could be used to charge the batteries i have.

If anyone has any old panels / convertors going cheap/free, please drop me a line.

Thanks
J (Yorkshire area)

You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 462
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 12:04:40 PM

Before you do this test charge the large battery.  The hook it up to the inverter and run something like a incandescent light bulb.

You can use a car to charge the battery just be sure to run the car engine while charging the battery.
WhyFhy

Activity: 1430
Merit: 513

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 01:04:38 PM

I wanted to point out you might want to look for a better inverter too 300watts really wont cut it with anything but like a laptop, light-bulb things like that.
a quick google search shows something like this
It not ideal for even one miner these days.
There's 2 guys that I know of that are putting solar to use OgNasty and Phillipma1957 they would have a better idea of where you need to be and have first hand experience with solar mining.
The listed individuals may be busy so dont be offended if they dont respond to a inquiry, but I feel they would each help you out and point you in the right direction

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
/]..[banned mixer]..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
/]YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO
HAVE BITCOIN BUSINESS

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
  BTC
. BTC

BTC
  BTC
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 03:15:24 PM

If you want to run off your battery continuously at >200W then you'll need a lot more than 300W of panels to recharge the battery during the few hours of sunlight you get in the UK.... If you do some googling you can find a solar calculator that will give you estimates of power production given your location. In my location, production in the winter months is about half of what you get in the summer months. It's probably similar in the UK.

I looked into solar a few years back here in MA, USA and got some quotes. I was discouraged to find that the cost of the system was high enough that even if you assumed that it would require no maintenance for it's 25 year expected lifetime, the power generated from it would end up costing around $0.12 per KWh. And that was with some generous tax breaks calculated in as well.

The system I got quoted consisted of 21 350W panels, so peak production of 7350W for the whole system. Their estimate for production of this system for the peak month of the year was 560KWh, or an average of only 777W. The worst month only produced 89KWh, for an average of 124W.

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 03:42:05 PM

you need to start by checking the batter 11.8v or better is a good battery. for panels and stuff id pobably suggest picking up a few broken ones off ebay, even they will still put out a few amps worth of power, charge controler is one of the most important for starting just get a cheap one off ebay but if you want to invest some moeny then epever do great MPPT ones (will help utalized the panels for a 12v system) even if the panels are much higher voltage nothing will go to waste. 225AH battery will more than likely want to get 22 amps worth of power for a good charge and maximum life. so 250w would be great start.

ebays pretty good if you can pick them up usually get a panel or 2 broken for £30-£40 or good ones for £80 of 255w panels working at 30v

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 03:55:31 PM

another note is you can probably bypass the inverter in most situations and just get a 12v regulator as most miners work at either 12v or 5v for usb miners. save you alot of money as regulators are alot cheaper than an inverter that takes 12v dc to 240ac then a power supply thats going to take it from 240vac back down to 12v dc... just food for though

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 03:56:28 PM

You might be better off trying to use wind power if you can. We don't often go below 10 or 20 miles per hour here and if there's enough space for the solar panels, there should be enough space for the turbines too...

If you're going with solar panels, there are calculators as the others have siad that allow you to estimate how much power you're going to need.

If you're interested in upgrading an antminer S1-S5 then you might be fine with 300W, if not then you MAY need a better inverter, if the inverter is that low you might face issues with the batteries not being charged very well and them being drained extremely quickly (which may cause them to overheat or something if they're only getting a tiny amount in and it is immediatley getting taken out). If you can put up the funds, a 2000W inverter is about £200 on amazon. You might also have to account for the fact that we get 6 hours of sunlight in the winter and 16-18 hours in the summer per day.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:00:42 PM

You might be better off trying to use wind power if you can. We don't often go below 10 or 20 miles per hour here and if there's enough space for the solar panels, there should be enough space for the turbines too...

If you're going with solar panels, there are calculators as the others have siad that allow you to estimate how much power you're going to need.

If you're interested in upgrading an antminer S1-S5 then you might be fine with 300W, if not then you MAY need a better inverter, if the inverter is that low you might face issues with the batteries not being charged very well and them being drained extremely quickly (which may cause them to overheat or something if they're only getting a tiny amount in and it is immediatley getting taken out). If you can put up the funds, a 2000W inverter is about £200 on amazon. You might also have to account for the fact that we get 6 hours of sunlight in the winter and 16-18 hours in the summer per day.

dont think youd need an inverter at all if you can use a regulator he can go from 12v batter (14.4v at charge) straight to the miner (12v)  and bypass both the inverter and PSU

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:09:34 PM

dont think youd need an inverter at all if you can use a regulator he can go from 12v batter (14.4v at charge) straight to the miner (12v)  and bypass both the inverter and PSU

Solar panels normally need an inverter, often they're built in nowadays so no you don't need a separate inverter but it can help keep a safe power between the battery input and the solar panels...
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:18:35 PM

Solar panels normally need an inverter, often they're built in nowadays so no you don't need a separate inverter but it can help keep a safe power between the battery input and the solar panels...

do you mean a charge controller (charge controller between panel and battery) inverter to convert battery to what ever you want to power.

charge controllers are the brains controllig what goes in at what voltage and what comes out of the battery

WhyFhy

Activity: 1430
Merit: 513

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:25:22 PM

I would not recommend that, I think you might mean charge controller?

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
/]..[banned mixer]..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
/]YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO
HAVE BITCOIN BUSINESS

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
  BTC
. BTC

BTC
  BTC
wndsnb

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:39:15 PM

That's a good idea, but an efficient DC/DC converter would probably cost more than the inverter and PSU combined. If you could find another 12 or so 12V batteries and put them all in series, maybe you could hack the PSU to run off the DC. Don't know if any charge controllers can handle so many batteries in series though.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:45:17 PM

That's a good idea, but an efficient DC/DC converter would probably cost more than the inverter and PSU combined. If you could find another 12 or so 12V batteries and put them all in series, maybe you could hack the PSU to run off the DC. Don't know if any charge controllers can handle so many batteries in series though.

if hes sticking with 12v i use a bigger version of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-DC-Step-Converter-15-72v-Output/dp/B07B9N1HRR/ref=asc_df_B07B9N1HRR/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958076&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4536906471557660723&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046605&hvtargid=pla-779627121080&psc=1

its just to step the 14.4v down when its charging so it dosnt fry the miners. basically shove anything in get 12v out min cost £10 and are good for 400w (just about enough to manage a S7 blade)

wndsnb

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 05:04:05 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-DC-Step-Converter-15-72v-Output/dp/B07B9N1HRR/ref=asc_df_B07B9N1HRR/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958076&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4536906471557660723&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046605&hvtargid=pla-779627121080&psc=1

its just to step the 14.4v down when its charging so it dosnt fry the miners. basically shove anything in get 12v out min cost £10 and are good for 400w (just about enough to manage a S7 blade)

Nice! Here's a 360W one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Voltage-Regulator-DC15-40V/dp/B01KQWWVTY/ref=pd_sbs_60_23?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01KQWWU72&pd_rd_r=1345ea38-ef20-452d-8ec4-3807f375ccee&pd_rd_w=24Eg2&pd_rd_wg=79Yi9&pf_rd_p=15756fbb-4ceb-4379-9d2c-7af36daab01e&pf_rd_r=EF6R3GMMPWAYQNNQAE41&refRID=EF6R3GMMPWAYQNNQAE41&th=1

You'd need to put the 2 batteries in series to get 24V to use one since the minimum voltage is 15V, and would have to verify the 12V is clean enough and regulated sufficiently for the input specs of the miner.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 05:07:17 PM

Nice! Here's a 360W one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Voltage-Regulator-DC15-40V/dp/B01KQWWVTY/ref=pd_sbs_60_23?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01KQWWU72&pd_rd_r=1345ea38-ef20-452d-8ec4-3807f375ccee&pd_rd_w=24Eg2&pd_rd_wg=79Yi9&pf_rd_p=15756fbb-4ceb-4379-9d2c-7af36daab01e&pf_rd_r=EF6R3GMMPWAYQNNQAE41&refRID=EF6R3GMMPWAYQNNQAE41&th=1

You'd need to put the 2 batteries in series to get 24V to use one since the minimum voltage is 15V, and would have to verify the 12V is clean enough and regulated sufficiently for the input specs of the miner.

iv found they dont really have a minimum voltage they just do what they do and send out 12v (mine do 12.1, 12.4 and a 12.3) even when batterys just at 12v they just dont do anything and pass the 12v through but its a risk im happy to take

wndsnb

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 05:20:36 PM

iv found they dont really have a minimum voltage they just do what they do and send out 12v (mine do 12.1, 12.4 and a 12.3) even when batterys just at 12v they just dont do anything and pass the 12v through but its a risk im happy to take

Interesting, they may just stop regulating once the input gets below a certain point with the output transistor just continually turned on. Now that you've peaked my interest I might have to buy one to play around with.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 05:24:20 PM

Interesting, they may just stop regulating once the input gets below a certain point with the output transistor just continually turned on. Now that you've peaked my interest I might have to buy one to play around with.

there well worth the money just to play with,

i got mine off aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32518020047.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3467424asyHZcQ&algo_pvid=7afa770a-78e8-457c-b491-197080ee1ac5&algo_expid=7afa770a-78e8-457c-b491-197080ee1ac5-0&btsid=715c9bf5-fc21-4872-8cdd-1a80ca40d061&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_52

theres loads of little fun things to play with i also got a bunch of the 12v to 5v ones and connected them to usb hubs to run usb miners which worked a treat

wndsnb

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 05:48:15 PM

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32518020047.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3467424asyHZcQ&algo_pvid=7afa770a-78e8-457c-b491-197080ee1ac5&algo_expid=7afa770a-78e8-457c-b491-197080ee1ac5-0&btsid=715c9bf5-fc21-4872-8cdd-1a80ca40d061&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_52

theres loads of little fun things to play with i also got a bunch of the 12v to 5v ones and connected them to usb hubs to run usb miners which worked a treat

My wife thanks you for the new influx of junk headed to my disaster of a workbench....

The DC/DC converters from your link along with one of these could work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32642333341.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.d51c3c6bx0ffDs&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.128609.0&scm_id=1007.13339.128609.0&scm-url=1007.13339.128609.0&pvid=bb932da2-13c6-4008-abea-9f88dfd45765

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 06:03:29 PM

My wife thanks you for the new influx of junk headed to my disaster of a workbench....

The DC/DC converters from your link along with one of these could work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32642333341.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.d51c3c6bx0ffDs&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.128609.0&scm_id=1007.13339.128609.0&scm-url=1007.13339.128609.0&pvid=bb932da2-13c6-4008-abea-9f88dfd45765

XD the epever charge controllers are suppose to be one of the best you can get on a budget (still saving to buy one) and tell your wife shes welcome.... its all fun.. wait till you get really good on aliexpress they sell things youve never even thought of.. only down side is sometimes the donkey they turn up on can take a very very long time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: