Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:32:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase wallet - phone required?  (Read 160 times)
jnano (OP)

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 09:18:36 PM

I haven't used Coinbase in a while.

Is anyone able right now to use Coinbase as a wallet without any phone number linked?

Logging in now, some actions like deleting "Confirmed Devices" redirect to the Security settings page, which looks like this:

The 2 available options are: adding a phone number, and choosing when to require 2-step verification. The 2-step setting shows a loading animation that never disappears, and I can't change the mode. When changing and clicking "save", it opens an unclear window titled "Change Send Limit Settings" which can't be confirmed without, I'm guessing, a phone number defined.

By the way, what's the lowest tx fee they allow nowadays?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 10:20:44 PM

I'm pretty sure it's been like that for a year now - most online wallet services require you to add a second device (phone), or add 2FA authentication to your bank account. It's not really a bad feature, really helps with security and allows you to recover your account with your phone or 2FA authentication if you ever lose it.

If you don't have a phone - you can google some PC 2FA authentication services, lastpass is a pretty good and I've used in the past.

No idea about TX fees, but the network isn't congested so you should be able to pay a pretty light fee.

Smiley
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2019, 10:59:04 PM

I'm using Coinbase and I have experienced to link a phone number but the number(Sim card) I'm using accidentally throw away somewhere in my house until now I can't find it. That is why I contacted Coinbase how to remove the 2fa and then they sent me email how to remove it.
After I remove the 2fa link with my old number they still ask for the phone number to replace but for 2fa I use a 3rd party authenticator so that no need to phone number to receive the 2fa code.

So I think you need phone number linked on Coinbase before you can use their wallet just use some trusted authenticator like winauth to link your coinbase 2fa.

About the fee, I think their minimum fee is around 10k sat based on my old experienced the fee might increase of the network traffic is high.

Do you have any clear image?

I tried to log in again today the loading image you are talking about is working in security when adding 2fa is working fine to me. It seems that your problem is your browser did you tried to clear cache and history or use other browser like firefox instead?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jnano (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 11:31:14 PM

I wouldn't mind 2FA based on generated codes (like Google Authenticator or WinAuth), but this option isn't available to me on Coinbase.

I don't do much there, only using it as a temporary wallet for small sums, so I don't want to link real-life info.

The browser is fine. I'm thinking, maybe that circle animation is what you get when there's no phone number set?

About the tx fees, Coinbase used to be bad, then they adopted SegWit and improved the fees. But even then it was higher than I'd want. If by now they've decided to increase their fees again, and without letting users control it, the phone problem might not matter because I've no use for a wallet service with high fees. Smiley

I can't check the fees because right now I've no balance there. I'm not sure it would be wise to send money in because it's unclear if I could take it out without providing a phone number first.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2019, 11:59:28 PM

I wouldn't mind 2FA based on generated codes (like Google Authenticator or WinAuth), but this option isn't available to me on Coinbase.

I don't do much there, only using it as a temporary wallet for small sums, so I don't want to link real-life info.

The browser is fine. I'm thinking, maybe that circle animation is what you get when there's no phone number set?

About the tx fees, Coinbase used to be bad, then they adopted SegWit and improved the fees. But even then it was higher than I'd want. If by now they've decided to increase their fees again, and without letting users control it, the phone problem might not matter because I've no use for a wallet service with high fees. Smiley

I can't check the fees because right now I've no balance there. I'm not sure it would be wise to send money in because it's unclear if I could take it out without providing a phone number first.

Why not provide a number to verify? This is their level one requirements before you can enable "Send digital currency" and "Receive digital currency"
Look at this image below as reference.

I'm surprised that they also using segwit started from "3" but still I don't recommended to use coinbase because you don't have full control of your fees.

Why not use Electrum instead as an alternative?
You can manually set miners fee and you can use segwit wallet that can reduce your miner's fee and faster than Coinbase.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jnano (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 12:38:44 AM

But that page doesn't mention a phone number.

I use Bitcoin Core for the main wallet.
The point of Coinbase was only to have an intermediate place to hold small sums, when I want to isolate my own addresses.
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 758

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 07:50:29 AM

The point of Coinbase was only to have an intermediate place to hold small sums, when I want to isolate my own addresses.

You need to add mobile number first under settings menu.Then you will receive 2fa codes through mobile number.Even after you entered the codes you have to confirm the email from the same device you try to login.You can use don't ask me codes again for 30 days option but after that you will need that old mobile number.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 09:16:27 AM

you should use electrum, mycelium, other core wallet.dats, or other non-custodial wallets for that---in fact, you should do that for basic security reasons, so you control your own keys.

coinbase requires basic KYC just to use their custodial wallet, and their terms let them hold your funds hostage while they demand additional KYC at their discretion. if you're not exchanging BTC to fiat or vice versa, there's no reason to use them at all.

jnano (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 10:11:45 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2019, 10:21:52 AM by jnano

No, I don't use Coinbase as an exchange.

Do you know for sure there was a policy change even for basic, low-value, wallet use?
I thought they'd notify users of changes but maybe I missed it somehow.

I know one doesn't own the keys there, but that's expected if you want to "shield" your direct-controlled addresses.
Are there other trustworthy custodian wallets, with no phone/KYC requirements for low sums?

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 11:46:14 AM

Do you know for sure there was a policy change even for basic, low-value, wallet use?
I thought they'd notify users of changes but maybe I missed it somehow.
The policy change came last year. I have like $5 worth of Bitcoin sitting in my Coinbase account that I with a high degree of certainty have donated to them because I'm not going to KYC verify myself. I never used Coinbase to buy or sell anything, it was just so that I could send Bitcoin through their centralized ecosystem for free to dozens of other users.

Are there other trustworthy custodian wallets, with no phone/KYC requirements for low sums?
You don't need a custodian wallet. Search for Electrum wallet in the PlayStore. Make sure you only download the version listed by 'Electrum Technologies GmbH'. No phone or KYC bs, and you fully own your private keys.

If you are looking for a custodian wallet for the sake of sending free transactions within their ecosystem, then I don't think there is a service offering that anymore, especially not without KYC.
jnano (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 12:16:50 PM

Why "high degree of certainty" instead of checking directly if you can transfer the $5 out? Smiley

Custodian wallet not for free internal transfers, but to improve my blockchain privacy.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 12:26:43 PM

Why "high degree of certainty" instead of checking directly if you can transfer the $5 out? Smiley
I already did and from time to time still do just in case they for whatever reason allow people to withdraw the balances that were deposited before the policy change.

Custodian wallet not for free internal transfers, but to improve my blockchain privacy.
That makes little sense since you are not enjoying any privacy when using centralized services.
jnano (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 12:42:45 PM

It's switching around who you have privacy from. The centralized service may be able to track your blockchain transactions, but not the external parties you send to or receive from. Sometimes that's what I want.

BitHodler
Legendary

Merit: 1179

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 09:58:15 PM

It's switching around who you have privacy from. The centralized service may be able to track your blockchain transactions, but not the external parties you send to or receive from. Sometimes that's what I want.
Considering that you already used an exchange (Coinbase) to send and receive Bitcoin, why not look for another exchange that allows you to send and receive Bitcoin without the KYC part?

Binance has a daily withdrawal limit of 2BTC without KYC. It's one of the most reliable exchanges that still allows you to withdraw without KYC, while the rest of the exchanges are unstable or very shady. 

Another alternative is to use a mixer.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
jnano (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 10:41:14 PM

Aren't Binance withdrawal fees still very high? I'm assuming they're exchange-level rates rather than wallet-level.

I don't know what to think of mixers. But I suppose I should at least look into Wasabi or Samourai.
Hopefully something more fundamental will get integrated into the protocol eventually.

timerland

Merit: 596

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 10:49:54 PM

What are the available options then? Is this an issue with you not wanting/having 2FA options like using a phone number or other options, or is this bad design on Coinbase's side and not being able to add your details? If it's an issue with your number, go into settings and add it, I don't think you need to wait for prompts

Have you considered using other wallets as an option? From personal experience, Exodus is a great multi-cryptocurrency wallet for desktop and IOS, Samourai is great for android mobile wallets, and if you are picking an online wallet, Bread (BRD) and blockchain.info are also pretty good wallets.

Don't risk it, there are way too many cases of exchanges/wallets allowing you to send money and then the customer gets forced to send KYC to withdraw the money.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: