Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:50:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Casascius Unredeemed Coin  (Read 340 times)
cobrap73 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 01:35:51 PM

Hello,

I have a 2011 physical coin, which has been unredeemed and the sticker has not been peeled. I'd really like to sell it but I'm having a hard time finding a buyer that wants the unredeemed coin, everyone just wants the 1 BTC value. I've been told this should be worth more unpeeled to the right person.
Any ideas on how to sell this? I understand its risky for the buyer since there are fakes out there. I've confirmed the code on the front is still good (or at least still not redeemed at this point).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JanEmil

Activity: 2296
Merit: 668

Community management 24/7 for hire

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2019, 01:41:37 PM

A picture both sides always a good start.

Maybe add date and profile name on the picture as well.

Then you are ½ way.

You can upload here and paste the link here on the forum.
https://imgbb.com

Then people validate the number etc.

After that you probably get bids.

cobrap73 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 01:56:32 PM

Thanks JanEmil,

I assume you mean selling online. How do you ensure that I would get paid and the coin safely makes it to its owner? $12K USD is not chump change. I've been trying to find a buyer to meet me at a bank and exchange cash. Is that just not really an option in the bitcoin community?
Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1752

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 02:31:23 PM

Thanks JanEmil,

I assume you mean selling online. How do you ensure that I would get paid and the coin safely makes it to its owner? $12K USD is not chump change. I've been trying to find a buyer to meet me at a bank and exchange cash. Is that just not really an option in the bitcoin community?

We use escrows to facilitate safe trading between strangers here in the collectibles section.  There are many trustworthy escrows who will collect the digital btc from the buyer, you ship the physical coin to the escrow, the escrow then sends the digital btc to you the seller and the physical coin to the buyer.  Easy peasy.  Typically the fee for the escrow is 1%.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 3009

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 02:52:06 PM

Thanks JanEmil,

We use escrows to facilitate safe trading between strangers here in the collectibles section.  There are many trustworthy escrows who will collect the digital btc from the buyer, you ship the physical coin to the escrow, the escrow then sends the digital btc to you the seller and the physical coin to the buyer.  Easy peasy.  Typically the fee for the escrow is 1%.

Trusted Escrows- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2439910.0

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
cobrap73 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 03:15:41 PM

Really hoping to just get cash and avoid reporting income. I think escrow is legally required to report a goods sale to IRS unfortunately. Are there any buyers out there that would still meet in person and do a cash trade? I sold a few in 2014ish and did it that way but the amount of cash was much lower then.
anonymousminer
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 03:26:22 PM

Where is the coin located?   

....and I'd post a picture using imgur.com.  Make sure the picture has the item and a piece of paper with your screen name and today's date.  Front AND Back!!  Until this is done, there is absolutely NOTHING to discuss.
cobrap73 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 03:48:50 PM

Coin is in Colorado

https://imgur.com/gallery/VVoUhrv
https://imgur.com/gallery/R1Gj7m5

Sorry to the people waiting on me to respond to messages, I can only send 1/hour since I'm not a Copper member....
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2019, 04:06:29 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2019, 12:04:45 AM by BitcoinNewsMagazine

Helping out until you get the Copper membership. Tip: you need to use the .jpg image extension if you want to insert images in posts here, the default img.ur link does not work on this forum. Use the "Direct Link" rather than the "Image Link".

Verified funded in 2011. Based on the most recent auction of three ungraded 2011 1 BTC error coins you should be able to get 1.1 to 1.2. GLWS!

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 11:45:52 PM

Hello,

I have a 2011 physical coin, which has been unredeemed and the sticker has not been peeled. I'd really like to sell it but I'm having a hard time finding a buyer that wants the unredeemed coin, everyone just wants the 1 BTC value. I've been told this should be worth more unpeeled to the right person.
Any ideas on how to sell this? I understand its risky for the buyer since there are fakes out there. I've confirmed the code on the front is still good (or at least still not redeemed at this point).

Looks like a nice coin.The fact thats its a 2011 error coin adds a bit of value

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
cobrap73 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 01:41:51 PM

How do you determine if any of the escrow services are going to report to IRS? I literally cannot find a CPA that will give any opinion on how taxes look for this. They are all saying to assume it would fall under income tax, even though it was technically a gift from my brother 7 years ago. Unfortunately using escrow and not doing an in-person cash trade opens the door to get hit with some pretty high taxes. Totally legit though to want escrow, just really takes a big bite out of what I actually get in a sale.
cobrap73 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 02:35:34 PM

Hey DreamerBT,

Sorry I can't respond since apparently I can only send 2 messages per day and I guess to get a membership I need to buy with BTC which I don't have since I never peeled any of my coins. I think my time limit is up soon. I'm not opposed to Escrow, although I'd really rather meet in person at a bank to verify cash. Colorado is a pretty sweet place to visit, and I would definitely take a lower price for in person (lower than cost of plane ticket + hotel). I'll respond when my time limit is up.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 02:38:08 PM

Just use minerjones for escrow - ship the coin to him, then he ships to buyer, buyer receives and btc goes to you. There are many possible options, you are just thinking too much about the tax man right now. If you want to sell any coin here, you have to use escrow, otherwise just sell it on Ebay if you really want FIAT instead. Tongue

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1752

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 02:53:27 PM

I have done in person cash purchases in the past however I would be hesitant to get on a plane in the US with over 10k usd cash due to civil asset forfeiture abuse being so prevalent here now.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: