Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:15:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculation of Taxes using FIFO (Coinbase, Bittrex & Binance)  (Read 144 times)
samkar (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 07:57:30 PM

Hi all,

I have problems calculating the gains/losses using the FIFO princip. I have invested about 25k into Crypto in 2017/2018 and as many other I have lost a lot during 2018. My current balance shows 4k USD so I have a total loss of 21k.

i have bought the cointracking software and been spending about 1 day entering all information. After entering it all (Coinbase API, Binance API and Bittrex manually) The tax-report shows a netto loss of only 2k for the 2 years using FIFO. I would think that since my original investment of 25k is reduced to 4k my loss should be 21k? my USD value shows a negative balance of 21k.

I have until the 15 august 2019 to file my taxes so i would appreciate any help - especially if someone knows what could have been wrong or is there something that i'm missing?

Finally if someone would offer the service (for a fair price) to calculate the FIFO i would like to hear (approx 900 transactions)

Thank you all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
August 12, 2019, 08:57:40 PM

It's either the software is totally wrong or you have inputted all the data incorrectly that far away from your true losses only shows that there is something wrong with your calculations. My advise is for you to keep track or retrace again for your short-term or long-term gains in all of your transaction if there is any and then subtract every losing trade you have for you to come up with a much more realistic number. Also keep in mind that the 25,000$ is not mainly being put in to what you buy, crypto exchanges also deduct several fees from you everytime you trade so you must also put it in your calculation.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 13, 2019, 04:04:28 PM

I'm in the UK, do you have the transactions in a spreadsheet or something (I have to sort mine out for january so I can take a look if you like)?

If you put money into bitcoin but hold that same bitcoin then you can't declare a loss until you sell it (same with altcoins). You don't have to pay any taxes if you do a conversion from BTC to USD and plan to convert it back also immediately (just profits you withdraw).
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
August 28, 2019, 08:34:45 AM

Hi all,

I have problems calculating the gains/losses using the FIFO princip. I have invested about 25k into Crypto in 2017/2018 and as many other I have lost a lot during 2018. My current balance shows 4k USD so I have a total loss of 21k.

i have bought the cointracking software and been spending about 1 day entering all information. After entering it all (Coinbase API, Binance API and Bittrex manually) The tax-report shows a netto loss of only 2k for the 2 years using FIFO. I would think that since my original investment of 25k is reduced to 4k my loss should be 21k? my USD value shows a negative balance of 21k.

I have until the 15 august 2019 to file my taxes so i would appreciate any help - especially if someone knows what could have been wrong or is there something that i'm missing?

Finally if someone would offer the service (for a fair price) to calculate the FIFO i would like to hear (approx 900 transactions)

Thank you all.

Even though the timeline for the filing of tax has passed but this could be useful for someone else who might be in the same situation. What you need to understand is what sort of tax are you supposed to pay on your crypto holding because with that you can then move on to figure out how its been computed by the software. If your coin is exposed to input VAT, then it might not matter whether you made loss or not, they might calculate in on your purchases.

Another thing is that if your crypto is subjected under the Capital Gains Tax, you need to know at what point? Is it at the point of selling for fiat or at the point of selling for other altcoins. Its at that point you know what the software is doing. Although, your net position might have been a loss but maybe you had made some withdrawals to fiat at some time in the past which the software is picking as a basis for the calculation.
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
September 01, 2019, 04:09:39 AM

What software did you use for this?

I would be curious does anyone recommend software for someone doing lifo in terms of trading?

So this software basically tell you exactly what to record?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: