Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 11:14:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: B250 Mining Expert SMOS, no more than 8 cards  (Read 297 times)
mechanic380 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 14, 2019, 03:08:24 AM

I am trying to put together three 12 card rigs on these boards. I have one running stably with 8 cards. As soon as I add anymore cards I get issues. Upon boot SMOS recognizes all GPUS, they OC properly and display an appropriate hash rate. Immediately after, any cards over 8 crash to showing 0MH, weird values for clock temp and fan speed, and become unreachable by find GPU command. They are no longer in contact with the software. My HW is B250 Mining Expert, 3930 CPU, 4gb ram, OS on pen drive, two seasonic 1200W power supplies. I feel like I have eliminated risers, cards, ps, and slots. I believe the issue is software related.

Possible issues
The PS does not have enough connections to put 6 or 7 cards in group A. I can run 5 cards from each of the power supplies I have. I plan to change this in the future. Is it sensitive to not filling a group. For the next two rigs can I get three smaller power supplies and put four cards per group?
Low ram, the manual states assigning 30GB of virtual memory. Is this necessary or possible in SMOS. Would 8gb total ram be better?
Cpu?
Anyone have experience with this particular issue? I have more boards coming and can swap it out just in case that is the issue, but I want to get this solved before I order anymore components and I want to do that soon. Thanks for any help yall can provide.
swogerino
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1237

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 01:32:57 PM

If you are referring to the ASUS B250 Mining Expert motherboard I have heard but not experienced first hand that they have problems with Windows and cannot run more than 10 cards.

I also heard that Hive OS solved the issue as it recognized out of the box 13 cards and started mining right away.I think you can give it a try with Hive OS.
CryptoKratos

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 08:50:44 PM

I have this MB as well and had endless trouble trying to get more than 8 gpus running on it. My OS is Windows. I eventually stumbled across a YouTube video:

Asus B250 Mining Expert Bios Configuration
by Beardedbob

I changed the Bios settings on the MB and literally straight after that, I was able to set up and run 11 gpus hassle free Smiley May be worth checking it out.

My virtual memory is set higher than yours though - pretty much set it as high as I could.

I wasted so much time assuming the issue was an OS issue. SMOS has a pretty good reputation so I would definitely check out the MB bios settings.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
August 18, 2019, 02:50:44 AM

Also note not all slots are equal.

Best slots to use:

http://ethosdistro.com/kb/b250.jpg

Credit to ethos.....still chuggin along!
mechanic380 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 20, 2019, 12:40:58 AM

Thank you all for the help. I was able to get 10 cards running. I am unsure what solved it as I did two things at once. I changed to 2 4gb ram sticks, and changed slots based on the diagram provided. I will update when I get PS to power all the cards at once.
mihacrypto

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 08:04:30 PM

as far as I know this motherboard supports 12 cards without any firmware. Firmware BIOS makes and more Chinese via risers.

Twitter  - | -  Facebook  - | -  LinkeedIn     _____________   Bamboo - Insurance for Everyone   ____________    YouTube  - | -  Instagram  - | -  Bitcointalk
boonz001

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 26, 2019, 01:06:22 AM

I have 13x1080ti running stable on W10, i3-7100, 4Gigs of ram.
Been a while ago when I installed this rig but from the top of my head the most important things are:
-set the PCI settings in the bios to GEN1.
-Try removing all the cards from the device manager make sure you have also hidden devices turned on.
-Install the cards in multiple phases and give windows the time to recognize them this can take a really long time!
nullsage

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 05:54:26 AM

I have this MB as well and had endless trouble trying to get more than 8 gpus running on it. My OS is Windows. I eventually stumbled across a YouTube video:

Asus B250 Mining Expert Bios Configuration
by Beardedbob

I changed the Bios settings on the MB and literally straight after that, I was able to set up and run 11 gpus hassle free Smiley May be worth checking it out.

My virtual memory is set higher than yours though - pretty much set it as high as I could.

I wasted so much time assuming the issue was an OS issue. SMOS has a pretty good reputation so I would definitely check out the MB bios settings.

How do you set the virtual memory???
hellscreamer

Activity: 47
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 03:04:03 PM

Nvdia or AMD guys ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: