Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:34:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've created a full node - options to improve configuration  (Read 315 times)
darkv0rt3x (OP)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 657

I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees

View Profile
August 15, 2019, 09:24:47 AM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (2), bones261 (2), LoyceV (1), ABCbits (1), mk4 (1), hugeblack (1)

Hi.

I started a Full Node on my home laptop an network, in this stage, to test and learn about it.

After I struggle a little bit with the IDB, I finally got it complete, however I want to try to improve and customize my Full Node.

I've been searching for possible options to customize the 'debug.log' output and I can't find much about it. What options I have available to add to 'bitcoin.conf' to customize/filter 'debug.log' output? Where can I read about it?

Another thing I'm not sure about, is that I followed wiki.bitcoin page to set hidden tor service but when I run 'bitcoin-cli getnetworkinfo' I think there are options that are not taking effect. For instance, the port I set in '/etc/tor/torrc' is not the same as in the output of 'bictoin-cli getnetworkinfo'.

Code:
{
      "name": "onion",
      "limited": false,
      "reachable": true,
      "proxy": "127.0.0.1:xxxxx", # <-- This port matches what I set in bitcoin.conf
      "proxy_randomize_credentials": true
    }
  ],
  "relayfee": 0.00001000,
  "incrementalfee": 0.00001000,
  "localaddresses": [
    {
      "address": "jfnsjfnksbrksjebfksebf.onion", # <--Not real, I changed it. Not sure if it is safe to share it
      "port": yyyy, # <-- This port doesn't match what I set in /etc/tor/torrc
      "score": 4
    }
  ],

Another thing I wanted to read is about debug.log output most important lines so that I can understand when there is some problem, what can be done to fix it by reading the debug.log files.

Bitcoin is energy. Bitcoin is freedom
I rather die on my feet than living on my knees!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2019, 08:45:51 PM

Well, anyone is replying here.

I'll ask some more questions.

Is it that people don't like to share information or what?

Here are some more questions:

1 - What is the meaning of the value stored by this field that we can see when we issue the command
bitcoin-cli getnetworkinfo
2 - My debug.log, every now and then shows an error message
2019-08-16T20:46:43Z tor: Error connecting to Tor control socket
. Why this happens? What's the problem when this happens?
3 - Can I change default ports 9050 and 8333 when using only Tor network?
4 - Where can I read about possible debug output configurations? I can't find anything about!

Thanks
darkV0rt3x

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 02:18:34 AM
Merited by bones261 (2), ABCbits (1), darkv0rt3x (1)

I wouldn't bother changing defaults other than =dbcache depending on your available ram. Besides this I've never needed to change anything running across different platforms.

getnetworking info meta: https://bitcoincore.org/en/doc/0.16.0/rpc/network/getnetworkinfo/

The "Error connecting to Tor control socket" I got when my firewall was blocking it. Debug by disabling all firewalls.

You can change default Tor ports however I don't see why you would bother doing this. Remember to change on both torrc and torrc-defaults because torrc-defaults overwrites torrc...

For log filtering this can be useful: https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-reference#logging

Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2019, 10:36:45 AM
Merited by bones261 (2), darkv0rt3x (1)

Adding a little more info to pereira4 post,

No, not exactly. When the questions get too technical in nature which cannot be answered by normal forum people like us, you won't be receiving any positive response sooner. This is common in this forum as majority of us are just mere enthusiasts and not actual developers of bitcoin.

I've been searching for possible options to customize the 'debug.log' output and I can't find much about it. What options I have available to add to 'bitcoin.conf' to customize/filter 'debug.log' output? Where can I read about it?

There is very little information on the customization of the log files as far as I know. In the configuration file type

debug = <category>

where

category = addrman, alert, bench, coindb, db, lock, rand, rpc, selectcoins, mempool, net, qt.

and a lot more categories as far as the code is concerned. You can either leave this configuration unspecified or 1 which will yield you all the debug information. If you wan't to filter only a limited categories type them in the debug = <category> field. For all the info on various categories can be found here Along with that, I think If you need to filter various categories you need to mention them line by line (not very sure).

Regarding the TOR question, I don't use TOR much but does the client display ipv4 or ipv6 ports?  Huh Did you give onlynet=onion in config so that the client does connect only to TOR?
darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 11:25:53 AM

I wouldn't bother changing defaults other than =dbcache depending on your available ram. Besides this I've never needed to change anything running across different platforms.

getnetworking info meta: https://bitcoincore.org/en/doc/0.16.0/rpc/network/getnetworkinfo/

Ok, thanks for that. Someone else also did something nice yesterday to try to explain this to me. He downloaded bitcoin core from git repository and then he tracked down that parameter within the code and generally he told me that that was some metric to evaluate the quality/stability of the node.

Thanks for your effort too.

The "Error connecting to Tor control socket" I got when my firewall was blocking it. Debug by disabling all firewalls.

Well, this happens only in the early minutes after I restart the daemon. After that I think it stops showing up on debug.log. For instance, it's 12:25h here and this message showed up last time in debug.log at 11:05h.

You can change default Tor ports however I don't see why you would bother doing this. Remember to change on both torrc and torrc-defaults because torrc-defaults overwrites torrc...

Hum, ok. Thanks for letting me know about that. Will check.

For log filtering this can be useful: https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-reference#logging

Hum, ok, that's using JSON RPC I guess. I'm not that deep... But thank you anyways.

Merit sent. Your post was quite useful!
Thanks

darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 12:24:20 PM

Adding a little more info to pereira4 post,

No, not exactly. When the questions get too technical in nature which cannot be answered by normal forum people like us, you won't be receiving any positive response sooner. This is common in this forum as majority of us are just mere enthusiasts and not actual developers of bitcoin.

Well sorry if I gave the wrong idea. I'm not a developer not even expert. I'm just trying to start my first full node. So actually, my knowledge is limited.

There is very little information on the customization of the log files as far as I know. In the configuration file type

debug = <category>

where

category = addrman, alert, bench, coindb, db, lock, rand, rpc, selectcoins, mempool, net, qt.

and a lot more categories as far as the code is concerned. You can either leave this configuration unspecified or 1 which will yield you all the debug information. If you wan't to filter only a limited categories type them in the debug = <category> field. For all the info on various categories can be found here Along with that, I think If you need to filter various categories you need to mention them line by line (not very sure).

Yeah, indeed, I've came now across to those options. I thought it was possible to filter more. Anyway, I'll use bash scripts or commands to filter more if needed.

Regarding the TOR question, I don't use TOR much but does the client display ipv4 or ipv6 ports?  Huh Did you give onlynet=onion in config so that the client does connect only to TOR?

Yes, I did that. I have already changed ports but I can still see some Tor related errors in my log file. Not sure if it is normal or not because these errors are only at the beginning when I start/restart bitcoind. So maybe there is some delay once Tor connections tend to be a bit slower and then bitcoind tries to connect before Tor is ready to accept the connections. Maybe I'm saying some non-sense, no idea!

Thanks
Merit given too. Useful an helpful answer

pereira4
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 02:40:49 PM

Yes, I did that. I have already changed ports but I can still see some Tor related errors in my log file. Not sure if it is normal or not because these errors are only at the beginning when I start/restart bitcoind. So maybe there is some delay once Tor connections tend to be a bit slower and then bitcoind tries to connect before Tor is ready to accept the connections. Maybe I'm saying some non-sense, no idea!

Thanks

I wouldn't be paranoid about that socket message unless I was being hammered with it every 5 seconds. In any case something useful to do is to run this:

And check for IPv4 and IPv6, if both are false then you are connected to Tor. Wait for the sync and then run:

bitcoin-cli getpeerinfo | grep true

If you see "true" messages then it's all good. Also remember that when you make changes in the config file for Tor you must restart the service otherwise changes are ignored. Restart with:

sudo /etc/init.d/tor restart

darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2019, 09:31:53 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2019, 09:43:35 PM by darkv0rt3x

Thanks

I wouldn't be paranoid about that socket message unless I was being hammered with it every 5 seconds. In any case something useful to do is to run this:

And check for IPv4 and IPv6, if both are false then you are connected to Tor. Wait for the sync and then run:

If you see "true" messages then it's all good. Also remember that when you make changes in the config file for Tor you must restart the service otherwise changes are ignored. Restart with:

I got it working kind of ok but now it's throwing a bunch of error messages.
I changed the default ControlPort to another port but errors keeps stating :

This is from bitcoin debug.log file
Code:
019-08-17T20:49:56Z tor: Reading cached private key from /media/Storage/Blockchain/onion_private_key
2019-08-17T20:49:56Z tor: Error connecting to Tor control socket
2019-08-17T20:49:56Z tor: Not connected to Tor control port 127.0.0.1:9051, trying to reconnect
2019-08-17T20:49:57Z tor: Error connecting to Tor control socket
2019-08-17T20:49:57Z tor: Not connected to Tor control port 127.0.0.1:9051, trying to reconnect

Why the hell this m**f** is throwing error messages about pot 9051 if I'm not using it??? I'm getting mad with this.

I wasn't getting any errors on tor log file, now I see this:
Code:
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Received reload signal (hup). Reloading config and resetting internal state.
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Read configuration file "/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc".
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [warn] Unable to make /var/lib/tor group-readable: Permission denied
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Tor 0.2.9.16 (git-9ef571339967c1e5) opening log file.

Why? Why me? Just because I set different ports in /etc/tor/torrc for ControlPort and SOCKSPort Huh If I set different ports for this 2 settings why this stupid ass keeps talking about 9051 (default control port)Huh

But what worries me the most is the permission issue! If anyone can help me on that, I would appreciate!

pereira4
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2019, 10:35:59 PM

Thanks

Code:
019-08-17T20:49:56Z tor: Reading cached private key from /media/Storage/Blockchain/onion_private_key
2019-08-17T20:49:56Z tor: Not connected to Tor control port 127.0.0.1:9051, trying to reconnect
2019-08-17T20:49:57Z tor: Not connected to Tor control port 127.0.0.1:9051, trying to reconnect

Why the hell this m**f** is throwing error messages about pot 9051 if I'm not using it??? I'm getting mad with this.

Code:
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Received reload signal (hup). Reloading config and resetting internal state.
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Read configuration file "/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc".
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [warn] Unable to make /var/lib/tor group-readable: Permission denied
Aug 17 22:18:51.000 [notice] Tor 0.2.9.16 (git-9ef571339967c1e5) opening log file.

Why? Why me? Just because I set different ports in /etc/tor/torrc for ControlPort and SOCKSPort Huh If I set different ports for this 2 settings why this stupid ass keeps talking about 9051 (default control port)Huh

But what worries me the most is the permission issue! If anyone can help me on that, I would appreciate!

There is something wrong with your tor-service-defaults-torrc file. Can you post the contents of it? Open it with vim or whatever you are using and look for those:

Code:
ControlPort 9051
CookieAuthentication 1
CookieAuthFileGroupReadable 1

Like I said you must restart the Tor services for changes to apply:

Code:
~$ sudo /etc/init.d/tor restart

This is in relation to "Not connected to Tor control port" thing.

For permission, you must run this:

Code:
~$ id <username>
uid=1000(username) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),121(debian-tor)

post the result here.
darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2019, 01:12:12 PM

Thanks

Code:

Code:

There is something wrong with your tor-service-defaults-torrc file. Can you post the contents of it? Open it with vim or whatever you are using and look for those:

Code:
ControlPort 9051
CookieAuthentication 1

Code:

Code:
~$ id <username>

post the result here.

Well, I made int in the meantime and getting help from other sources.
I had 1 problem causing 3 issues, I guess.

As instructions says, the user running Tor should be in "debian-tor" group (for Debian OS). And I did that change but forgot that I needed to log out and back in. So, due to that fact, Tor wasn't having correct permissions. In fact as I was running it as "sudo", it was changing back ownership and permissions I set previously. And because of that too, ControlPort wasn't also taing effect. Well, it was like a snowball just because of not logging out!

I think I also had some inconsistencies between /etc/tor/torrc and /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults (not sure about the name of the latter file).
But now it's running ok, I guess, for like 3 or 4 days straight!

I'm now struggling to understand some concepts about cold wallets. I want to have an offline node just to create wallets and addresses and never connect the VM where that node is to the internet.
What I already know about this, is that to receive funds in this wallet addresses, the node don't have to be online. In other words I like more to use (I think they are more intuitive), these addresses don't need to be exposed to the internet to receive funds in them because for this purpose, when a transaction is made to one of these addresses, all the nodes in the Blockchain knows that the funds were sent to these addresses and that only my node, which is permanently offline, don't know about it. But if I go to any Blockchain explorer, I can already see my funds in my addresses.

My question is if I can use these addresses only to check balances in my online node instead of exposing my offline node to the internet to check balances and eventually use the address to send funds to some other address (and never use that address again)...

Hope I explained  myself clear and that everybody can understand!

Thanks
dkvx

pereira4
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2019, 05:40:29 PM

Thanks

Code:

Code:

Code:
ControlPort 9051
CookieAuthentication 1

Code:

Code:
~$ id <username>

post the result here.

Well, I made int in the meantime and getting help from other sources.
I had 1 problem causing 3 issues, I guess.

As instructions says, the user running Tor should be in "debian-tor" group (for Debian OS). And I did that change but forgot that I needed to log out and back in. So, due to that fact, Tor wasn't having correct permissions. In fact as I was running it as "sudo", it was changing back ownership and permissions I set previously. And because of that too, ControlPort wasn't also taing effect. Well, it was like a snowball just because of not logging out!

I think I also had some inconsistencies between /etc/tor/torrc and /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults (not sure about the name of the latter file).
But now it's running ok, I guess, for like 3 or 4 days straight!

I'm now struggling to understand some concepts about cold wallets. I want to have an offline node just to create wallets and addresses and never connect the VM where that node is to the internet.
What I already know about this, is that to receive funds in this wallet addresses, the node don't have to be online. In other words I like more to use (I think they are more intuitive), these addresses don't need to be exposed to the internet to receive funds in them because for this purpose, when a transaction is made to one of these addresses, all the nodes in the Blockchain knows that the funds were sent to these addresses and that only my node, which is permanently offline, don't know about it. But if I go to any Blockchain explorer, I can already see my funds in my addresses.

My question is if I can use these addresses only to check balances in my online node instead of exposing my offline node to the internet to check balances and eventually use the address to send funds to some other address (and never use that address again)...

Hope I explained  myself clear and that everybody can understand!

Thanks
dkvx

Some people will tell you about Ledgers/Trezors and other things, but here is the ideal cold wallet setup:

1) A laptop, stripped of all possible wireless connections with the outside world, physically. This is your cold wallet. You create a wallet here, ensuring that the seed has never seen the internet, ever, so further creation of addresses are safe. You can just open Bitcoin Core. You use the client here to create raw transacions, create addresses, etc.

2) Another laptop, this one with another Bitcoin Core full client, synced, ready to broadcast transactions. You add in your watch addresses, so you can monitor your funds:

https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.10.0#watch-only-wallet-support

Notice the eye icon on the addresses:

3) A QR code reader. You use this to convert the raw tx from your cold wallet into a QR code and read it, and import it into your online laptop node to broadcast it.

This way you are ensuring that your keys never see the internet, while having full control of your finances by broadcasting tx's with your own node. The QR code bypasses any possible exploits when moving the raw data. This is the main idea. The way I see it is that this is unbeatable and the best method. And you don't have to carry around some device that basically says "there's a lot of Bitcoin in here".
darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2019, 09:16:30 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2019, 09:46:57 PM by darkv0rt3x

Hi.

Thanks for replying. Yeah, that's a very good idea.
The problem is that I still don't have enough knowledge to create raw transactions. I can only (yet) send normal transactions. Not sure I can do what you describe with only the "SendToAddress" bitcoind command!

Anyway, first things first.

I have one or 2 questions.

To contextualize, the first days I was testing and experimenting with the offline node, I created an address and labeled it "test-address"
After understanding more or less how things worked, I deleted the default wallet files to be able to restart bitcoind again a get a new fresh default wallet with no data in it.

After that I thought I was ready to create a new wallet, new address and give them proper labels for future use!
So I did. Created an address, named/labeled it and created new address and named/labeled it. Let's say Wallet name = "Main-wallet" and Address label = "Main-address".

The thing is that now, there are 2 commands that are confusing me and returning information that shouldn't exist.

The 2 commands are:
Code:
bitcoind -wallet=/path/to/wallet

and

Code:
bitcoin-cli loadwallet=walletname

My common sense (and yet poor reasoning) says these are 2 ways to do the same thing (or maybe not)

The thing now is that if I run:

Code:
bitcoind -daemon
bitcoin-cli loadwallet "Main-wallet"
bitcoin-cli listlabels

I get the label I have created firstly when I was testing and experimenting "test-address" and not the label I set to the last address I created under the label "Main-address".

An I still can see the commands I ran yesterday where I set the label "Main-address" to the same address I see now with the old label that shouldn't exist.

Now, can this be fixed by changing the address label? Can it be done by re-running the setlabel command again on the same address?

EDITED;
Ok, I couln't wait and trie it. It worked. The label is now as I want. I'll restart bitcoind to see if things stick to what I just set!
I also just realized that the -rpcwallet is only needed when you start bitcoind without the -wallet parameter.

So there are 2 ways of working with multi-wallets:

1 - Start bitcoin core daemon as:
Code:
bitcoind -wallet=<wallet-name>

and then you just need to call bitcoin-cli as:
Code:
bitcoin-cli listlabels
Code:
bitcoin-cli getaddressesbylabel <address-label>

etc.

2 - Start bitcoin core daemon as:
Code:
bitcoind
bitcoin-cli loadwallet <walletname>
bitcoin-cli -rpcwallet=<walletname> listlabels
bitcoin-cli -rpcwallet=<walletname> getaddressesbylabel <address-label>

etc.

darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2019, 09:59:07 AM

Hello...

I have a new problem.

I had to reconnect the internet to the offline node to isntall some packages I needed. Before that I ensure that all traces of my private key were remove, such as clipboard contents, terminal output and commands history, files containing the address info were removed using special too shred, etc.

After installing what I needed I completelly disconnect the node again from the internet and created the wallet again, encrypted it, added the address and the private key but when I try to get the balance of the wallet, it says 0.0 which cannot be true because the address I added is not empty!

So, am I missing something? Can anyone help me?

pereira4
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2019, 06:42:57 PM

Hello...

I have a new problem.

I had to reconnect the internet to the offline node to isntall some packages I needed. Before that I ensure that all traces of my private key were remove, such as clipboard contents, terminal output and commands history, files containing the address info were removed using special too shred, etc.

After installing what I needed I completelly disconnect the node again from the internet and created the wallet again, encrypted it, added the address and the private key but when I try to get the balance of the wallet, it says 0.0 which cannot be true because the address I added is not empty!

I will look at your former message later but from what you just said it seems that you are trying to check your balance in your offline node? The idea is that you keep synced the online node and check your funds there. You aren't supposed to ever connect ever again to the internet, like ever, on your airgapped computer. To install packages or key updates use a cd rom to guarantee the data cannot be modified.

If a wallet says 0.0 then the only possibilities are:

1) Your node isn't synched
2) You don't own the private key
3) You are looking at the wrong address
4) The funds moved
darkv0rt3x (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2019, 09:21:45 PM

Hello...

I have a new problem.

I will look at your former message later but from what you just said it seems that you are trying to check your balance in your offline node? The idea is that you keep synced the online node and check your funds there. You aren't supposed to ever connect ever again to the internet, like ever, on your airgapped computer. To install packages or key updates use a cd rom to guarantee the data cannot be modified.

If a wallet says 0.0 then the only possibilities are:

1) Your node isn't synched
2) You don't own the private key
3) You are looking at the wrong address
4) The funds moved

Well, there are many more reasons that just those ones. Namely the one that was preventing me to check balances!

When I tried to check my balances, I used simply:
Code:
bitcoin-cli getbalance

However, this command, by default doesn't show balances involving watchonly addresses, which was the case!

By issuing the command like:
Code:
bitcoin-cli getbalance "*" true true

balance comes out correctly.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: