Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:01:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First ever project!!! (need advice and tips)  (Read 173 times)
markwolf (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2019, 05:01:37 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2019, 02:17:45 AM by frodocooper

Hi everyone!
I used to mine back when GFX cards could handle the job and recently decided to put some investment into a mining operation.
my plans are to invest in 20 Whatsminer M20S miners and hopefully use the first income to expand to approximately 50.
one of the issues I have no experience with is the electrical supply! im very concerned about blowing fuses/breakers and such and i know the whatsminer will be using 3400watts each !
can any one tell me if I've missed anything from my preliminary "buy list"

Miners
Network Switch
PC to act as a controller for the miners
Ethernet Cables
Racks
Fans
Air Ducts and fans to extract excess heat

also if any one has a Whatsminer Rig can they let me know if there were any issues they faced using such a power hungry machine?
I'll bump this thread with more info and pics in the upcoming weeks.

Thanks
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2522

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 19, 2019, 05:29:39 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2019, 01:07:09 PM by NotFuzzyWarm
Merited by frodocooper (3)

A PC is not needed to control the miners. That said, a computer with browser IS needed just for setting them up and/or from time to time checking in on them. Any laptop works fine.

For power either find a licensed electrician or if going DIY be VERY familiar with your local codes and how to safely size the breakers/wire/plugs & sockets for the circuits. Knowing standard wiring practices is A MUST!
Not knowing what you are doing can kill you or cause a fire.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
markwolf (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2019, 05:53:41 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2019, 02:18:38 AM by frodocooper

the safety of the power supply is my biggest concern, ive got an electrician who can take a look at the power requirements.
fire is a huge concern for me as I've read that drawing high amounts of watts can often melt plugs and sockets.
I was intending to have a PC connected to the Network switch so that I could easily log into the miners and change any config settings as needed. A laptop does seem like a more portable solution, thanks i will take that in consideration.

Can you tell me if you think that "miner hosting" solutions are worth considering? I've seen a place offering Power for 0.03khw which is marginally cheaper then my supplier (will be close to a micro hydro plant).
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2522

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 19, 2019, 07:26:04 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2019, 01:07:53 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Melting plugs/sockets/cords means that they are the wrong size because someone does not know what they are doing. Correctly sized parts will be be barely warm.
Standard rule of thumb for constant loads is to keep actual loads below 80% of the plug/socket/cord/wire/breaker ratings.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2019, 09:54:13 PM

the safety of the power supply is my biggest concern, ive got an electrician who can take a look at the power requirements.
fire is a huge concern for me as I've read that drawing high amounts of watts can often melt plugs and sockets.
I was intending to have a PC connected to the Network switch so that I could easily log into the miners and change any config settings as needed. A laptop does seem like a more portable solution, thanks i will take that in consideration.

Can you tell me if you think that "miner hosting" solutions are worth considering? I've seen a place offering Power for 0.03khw which is marginally cheaper then my supplier (will be close to a micro hydro plant).

You need 200~250v check the amp rating of the units you intend to use, and make sure things do not exceed 80% capacity.

Most Asic miners (except Canaan until recently) come bundled with their own computer controller attached, they do not need a PC or raspi. The controllers are usually simple ARM cpus with Linux running cgminer or variant of with a web ui.

I don't know about trusting others with your mining equipment, especially when you already have a good place.

Each S9 is said to need 250CFM, make sure you move enough air for all of them. Cooling is unnecessary, but its nice if you can filter the dust from the air to lower maintenance needs. Humidity should be above 20% and below 70%, ambient temperature 0°C to 40°C iirc.

MicroBT's Whatsminer M20 is not so power hungry and is very efficient, the monster would the the M20S, but i think the M20 is better for ease of use and install. Note that the M20S is physically larger and heavier as well. BTW those probably need more CFM each per unit...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: [1]
  Print