Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:57:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigantic max supply is bad  (Read 356 times)
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 24, 2019, 03:54:03 PM

Apart from real use case do coins and tokens max supply counts as well? for example lets look at doge coin,its max supply is 280 billion and the circulating supply is 120billion which is presently trading at 0.0026$ what would have happened if its max supply is in millions ?

i think some coins have way to much max supply which actually affects the coin or token performance as well,coins with low supply will always have better value than having gigantic supply.

I dont think doge have max supply. You need to check your sources and learn about it more.  

To answer you main question the answer is it dont matter. What matters more is who hold those coins and how they got them. If developers does or someone that got them for free with some airdrop or holding some other coins that is really bad, since those coins are worth nothing to them.
shadowduck

Activity: 840
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
August 24, 2019, 05:47:47 PM

Of course, we should choose coins with a limited supply. a project that can endlessly print their tokens is a useless project

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
cryptonewbie

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 24, 2019, 08:04:17 PM

Of course, we should choose coins with a limited supply. a project that can endlessly print their tokens is a useless project

I don't know why a cryptocurrency project will decide to endlessly print their own token when it is not affiliated with any state's financial legal backing. They will just be wasting their time as the coin value will be limited exponentially

[btc]YSG

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile
August 24, 2019, 10:14:19 PM

The supply or total supply of coin doesn't really define it's potential value, a larger supply whichever is meant serve a purpose entirely different purpose from a coin with small supply, what should define the supply of a coin is its usage.

◀ ▲ ▶  WE are GAMERS and we know what Gamers WANT  ◀ ▲ ▶
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰    ❘ ❙ ❚   eSports.com   ❚ ❙ ❘    ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ (http://esports.com/)
Mrsparks

Activity: 406
Merit: 5

I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2019, 10:21:52 PM

In my opinion only the curculating supply is of importance..The real problem is in the inability of developers to create value for this tokens.. If their is active usecase, demand will grow and a growth in demand will impact price and guarantee the success of such currencies in the crypto market

[     I C A      |      icacoin.com      |      IEO is live on Sept 2019     ]
━ ━━━   The Revolution of Digital Advertising   ━━━ ━
jerrison

Activity: 1442
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2019, 10:25:28 PM

Apart from real use case do coins and tokens max supply counts as well? for example lets look at doge coin,its max supply is 280 billion and the circulating supply is 120billion which is presently trading at 0.0026$ what would have happened if its max supply is in millions ?

i think some coins have way to much max supply which actually affects the coin or token performance as well,coins with low supply will always have better value than having gigantic supply.

i think coins with maximum supply in billions has an effect in the price and value of the coins. when coins are in their millions they are termed more valuable than coins that have supply in their billions. it erduces the value of the coin and also reduces the pace at which it is appreciated by investors.

adibi12

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 01:18:30 AM

all depends on how the development team works, because the effect of a token is not seen in the amount of supply, but on the concept and usefulness of the token. I've seen a project called INMAX, with a total supply of 6.5 million, but the price is only half a dollar.

The Cryptologist

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 02:19:56 AM

It's bad for investors only. But the team has decided billions of supply because the project they created purposely to be used by billions of users in the future and not by only a couple of traders. It means they are going for the top while those small supply projects are like short term projects that are much more dedicated to give returns to their supporters and investors.
Novatech8

Activity: 700
Merit: 27

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 07:24:30 AM

all depends on how the development team works, because the effect of a token is not seen in the amount of supply, but on the concept and usefulness of the token. I've seen a project called INMAX, with a total supply of 6.5 million, but the price is only half a dollar.
INMAX max supply of 6.5 million ain't bad at all infact watching the history of last bullrun coins and tokens with low max supply have better All Time High over all,limited supply means better scarcity apart from the concept of every projects

Ghenjer

Activity: 97
Merit: 1

https://token-sale.fredenergy.org Supporter

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 07:29:44 AM

maximum inventory will not influence many people to buy it, people will be interested in the price of the coin. if you want to invest with coins, make sure that the coins have good price growth.
yazher

Activity: 2198
Merit: 585

You own the pen

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 12:50:55 PM

Max Supply is not bad if they decide something like annually burning of their coins it will help the price increase at some point or any better idea than that. Aside from burning, they can just simply make their max supply as small as possible when they first create those coins or tokens because we saw today having huge max supply is not good and the consequences the price of the coins are having a hard time to increase the price.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
whatthesith
Copper Member

Activity: 301
Merit: 10

simply getting the job done

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 01:23:38 PM

Do not care about the total supply, you should watch about the market cappitalization (it is calculated from token supply * price). For example Ethereum and Ripple has almost same market cappitalization, but Ethereum is 1000x more expensive than Ripple because Ripple circulating supply is 1000times higher than Ethereum. As you can see it is not an important information. But when you choose coins by market cap, you can find some that are undervalued. (Highly used but low market cap = potential high return).

Mycro Jobs                                                                                                                                                                                                   
| SIMPLY GETTING THE JOB DONE
⟩                                                                                                                                                     
                                                           ⟩⟩ Telegram ⟩⟩ Twitter ⟩⟩ Medium ⟩⟩ Github ⟩⟩ Instagram ⟩⟩ LinkedIn ⟩⟩ YouTube ⟩⟩ Facebook
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 01:40:09 PM

If dogecoin maximum supply is in millions/billions, the price will still be determined by demand and supply. What counts in this case is the percentage price gains/loses in a given period of time. Value (= inflow and out flow of financial & non-financial investments (or both) into a coin) will largely determine percentage price gains/loses of the coin in a period of time.

Guess you mean (at the bolded part) "higher price" and not better value. Value is quite different from price.
LogitechMouse
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1036

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2019, 01:41:03 PM

I agree that huge number of supply is bad that is why some of the coins like Binance Coin are doing halving where they will halve the maximum supply of the coin. This helps to the increase of the price since the supply is decreasing. Higher demand and Lower supply means price increase. I don't want to invest into coins that have huge number of supply unless it is on the top 10 like ADA or XLM like that.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
desfira

Activity: 392
Merit: 14

CLEVERBOUNTY

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 01:43:52 PM

I am more likely to choose a coin with a small amount of supply, because the value will be better than the large supply, but not just holding, we will also see their project. For the security of our assets

CLEVER BOUNTY
gurunanakji777

Activity: 2100

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 03:44:07 PM

When I started crypto trading I think like you but by the experience my opinion has been changed. I believe supply does not matter in this market even you can see some high supply coins in Top 50 of CMC on the other hand there are some less supply coins also worth of just pennies. The important thing is how dev promote its project or how actively he/she is working on his/her project from backend. Supporting community also plays major role in success of a project. Worthless coins will remain worthless whether it has huge supply or less supply.

masterrex

Activity: 1820
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 04:00:38 PM

IMHO! I think your right, Huge circulation can affect the price of the coin/token compare to some millions only.Specially when the platform has no established use case to create demand. While comparing Dogecoin we all know that this coin was almost 5 years old already and because of that many cryptocurrency enthusiast or holders/investors are often using it.
betty11
Copper Member

Activity: 448
Merit: 3

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 05:42:30 PM

I am really not a fan of gigantic supply. But some project with heavy supply and with regular usage is not really a bad idea since everything is not always about price and going to the moon. But I have issues with project creating heavy supply and later carrying out monthly burn in other to keep the community hope alive without any clear innovation.
adjed

Activity: 400
Merit: 268

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 06:06:41 PM

I love coins with large max supplies, I definitely prefer it to those with little max supplies especially in a bear market, when those with max supply wants to.dip, they do not go too far because their price is low to begin with but those with little supply whose price are high tend to disappoint so.much in the long run, anyways that's my personal opinion.
ePesoInitiative

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 25, 2019, 06:11:35 PM

Maximum supply is not the problem but the fixed coin supply inflation. I believe a 10% annual increase in coin supply is already too big to absorb very few adopters. For example, 1,000,000 coins getting additional 100,000 a year or 8,333 coins a month - that is too much IMO.

Maybe 1% per year is better.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: