Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:41:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearly burned down my home due to mining farm (tips on how to stay safe )  (Read 38278 times)
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:11:16 PM

That's why it's very important to use high quality a-brand PSU's and not let them run 24/7 at 80%+ load.

seasonic, corsair.... ect. i figured 2 7950s not being pushed would be fine on 750 watts. psu must have been a little older than i thought or had an issue. the 2 7970s and system was running on a 1000 watter.
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:13:29 PM

i live in a trailer.... not by choice...... kinda got fucked over and lost all my money but its like a 1960 model and im sure the wiring hasnt been ever touched other than a screw fuse box that was put in years ago to upgrade from the cardboard tube type fuse.
david123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:16:52 PM

How do you guys feel about opening a new thread for collecting fire countermeasures? I am sure
this is of interest to many. I imagine almost everyone says "So, let's hope nothing bad happens"
when leaving a newly prepared multi-KW setup unattended for the first night.
Also, I saw people making observations in different places (e. g. powered
vs unpowered risers etc), so why not collect them?

Of course, I have a sticky mega-thread in mind with listed incidents, postmortems, general advice etc
Cheesy But it would be already nice to collect some thoughts under a thread name that can be
found easily by those interested..
jeppe (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:20:28 PM

How do you guys feel about opening a new thread for collecting fire countermeasures? I am sure
this is of interest to many. I imagine almost everyone says "So, let's hope nothing bad happens"

Of course, I have a sticky mega-thread in mind with listed incidents, postmortems, general advice etc
Cheesy But it would be already nice to collect some thoughts under a thread name that can be
Yeah this would be fantastic!! however have no hardware to test with anymore :/
david123
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:56:37 PM

Yeah.. I can understand that you're sad about the equipment. But you should really consider
yourself lucky that you weren't on vacation yet, that you had installed a smoke
detector and that you had a fire extinguisher ready. Smiley

I don't know if it's possible to change the thread name afterwards.. What do you
think about "Avoiding fire: Sources of risk and how to keep your mining operations safer"?
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 07:01:11 PM

only have a pic of the sucre of the fire.
Everything else in in the bin and could save some stuff one cube 6 blade out of different machines if anyone wants them pm me!!
The pic of the asic cube that started the fire i think:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb5ck6dovusesmp/2014-03-16%2010.35.21.jpg

As you can see on the pic the fire was caused by the asic cube shorting the wires and they overheated and started the fire!
Sorry for not taking more pics.

Damn, that's a miner's worst nightmare...  Sorry to hear about your loss Sad

jeppe (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:11:52 PM

only have a pic of the sucre of the fire.
Everything else in in the bin and could save some stuff one cube 6 blade out of different machines if anyone wants them pm me!!
The pic of the asic cube that started the fire i think:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb5ck6dovusesmp/2014-03-16%2010.35.21.jpg

As you can see on the pic the fire was caused by the asic cube shorting the wires and they overheated and started the fire!
Sorry for not taking more pics.

Damn, that's a miner's worst nightmare...  Sorry to hear about your loss Sad

I know !!!! the only way it could have been worse would have been if the whole house would have burned down!!!
This just means a  fresh start in the mining world (More or less) now waiting for my shed i ordered on ebay today for the new stuff (not going to risk it again)!!!
Thanks for your support man!!!

zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:40:50 PM

At least you are safe, your house is still there and you still have your coins. It could be worse, a lot worse.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
mufa23
Legendary

Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:00:59 PM

What is an "asic cube"? Was it the power supply that was at fault?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:04:28 PM

Asic cube = Miner
Was a Dell server psu However that was not the one that was the fault
dmeter

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:07:03 PM

i also have fire.but i be lucky because i be in room whit rig
i bay from ebay cheap 6-Pin 8-pin PCI Express Power Adapter Cable at this cabel adapter starting fire.
now i bay orginal seasonc cabel and adapter http://www.seasonicusa.com/accessories.htm
david123
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:22:33 PM

I see you changed the name of the thread, jeppe. So do you want to make your
thread into a collection of incidents and tips? I just ask because I was about to
open another thread, and we don't need two of them^^

dmeter: Was the diameter of the cables of the adapter not sufficient? Do you know how many
watts the card was likely to be pulling through your adapter? I always buy the cheapest
adapters from ebay, maybe I should stop that..
phazon307

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:26:14 PM

This person has been scamming this board for a long time coming up with different stories every time you know what give you away asking for help that is a dead ringer for a scammer. The thing is this when someone wants a dollar they tell them why they need a dollar when a person could use a dollar they hope someone would give them a dollar without asking.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:23:59 PM

Asic cube = Miner
Yeah, I got that. But who makes the "asic cube"? Is it product from BFL, Avalon, KnC, etc ?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:26:50 PM

Asic cube = Miner
Yeah, I got that. But who makes the "asic cube"? Is it product from BFL, Avalon, KnC, etc ?
Asicminer, The same company who makes the small 333mh/s USBs and the 10-12gh/ blade systems
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:15:52 PM

Asic cube = Miner
Asicminer, The same company who makes the small 333mh/s USBs and the 10-12gh/ blade systems
Ah ok

cccminer

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:11:33 AM

Those wires looks really thin.

Honestly, this looks more like a wiring problem than a cube problem.
ionux

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 01:14:53 AM

Yeah, that would actually be a great idea.  I'd be really interested in reading/following a thread like that.

CoinPrice.US - Current market prices in a clean, ad-free interface.  API available for adding Bitcoin prices to your site!  |  Escrow service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502569.0  |  Reputation thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=494163  |  Public key: http://coinprice.us/public_key.txt  |  URL shortener project: http://10b.us  Cheesy
supercomputer987

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:15:26 AM

I have a question somewhat related to this topic for tips on how to stay prepared for the worst case scenario.  Does anyone have recommendations for miners or me (who mine at their house) to insure their equipment for a worst case scenario (theft, fire, flood, etc)?

I called my insurance company regarding what is covered and was told that my current policy only covers $5k total for electrical goods in the house.  Even before mining I was in excess of that amount due to TVs, laptops, desktops, tablets, etc.  I asked for information regarding how to insure my ‘custom computers’ and was told that I needed a ‘personal article rider’ for each computer.  For everyone who may be curious, I have State Farm insurance and was quoted a price of $2.2 for every $100 for the ‘personal article rider’.  At this time I do not have the policy as I have been trying to figure out of there is a better alternative and am looking for whatever advice can be given.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:36:29 AM

Ive had PSU cables melt, and boards and cards blow out and a fury of smoke.

Its definitely an issue. You need to have smoke detectors, preferably the kind that email/text you if you are away from home.

Also, a fire extinguisher. Those things can save your miners, your house, or people lives.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: