Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:51:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Server PSU for Antminer S1, step by step guide.  (Read 40327 times)
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:44:35 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 03:51:41 AM by CartmanSPC

For the "power on" mod I pried up pins 3 & 4 and used a mini jumper to connect them together. I looked for the smallest jumpers I could find but even then they were too big so I cut off the plastic shell and used electrical tape. One strip for the bottom and after insertion one for the top.

I carefully bent the two middle "posts" of the jumper together to form a triangle and then inserted it into the slot while temporarily holding up pins 3 & 4 with an exacto knife.

Top strip of electrical tape is most likely unnecessary but I threw it in anyway.

The first PS took a while (and I almost overly bent pin 4 from constant trial and error) but after that the rest were a bit easier.

ipxtreme

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 08:31:04 PM

Soldering the 2 pins from underneath was so easy. I did 6 of those this weekend and I have never solder before in my life.

thanks OP!

BTC tips: 14PkHaJH5GexLG9P7MYxHRNvZeCq2t8DWX
tzortz (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:03:57 PM

Soldering the 2 pins from underneath was so easy. I did 6 of those this weekend and I have never solder before in my life.

thanks OP!

No problem, I am so happy that you can do it so easily.

We need pics of your work!

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:04:46 PM

For the "power on" mod I pried up pins 3 & 4 and used a mini jumper to connect them together. I looked for the smallest jumpers I could find but even then they were too big so I cut off the plastic shell and used electrical tape. One strip for the bottom and after insertion one for the top.

I carefully bent the two middle "posts" of the jumper together to form a triangle and then inserted it into the slot while temporarily holding up pins 3 & 4 with an exacto knife.

[space reserved for more pictures]

The first PS took a while (and I almost overly bent pin 4 from constant trial and error) but after that the rest were easier.

We need more pics.

All is Mine!

ipxtreme

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:55:29 PM

I will take pics of my solder so you guys can have a chuckle later. Here are 2 Ants in a Roswell case. Plus the server power supply I bought for $11.50 each on ebay.

I have 5 of these cases with 10 Ants total. I also used the copper L-shaped connector from Home Depot. Each wire is 14 awg.

do you see the molex connectors for the case fans? Can I hook that up to the PSU too? Or do I need a lower power level to connect them?

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:57:52 PM

Waw, nicely done, very clean.

Sure you can connect the fans on the PSU.

But, why have you locked them in the case?

All is Mine!

ipxtreme

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:05:05 PM

the datacenter they are going into wants them in a case. Others bitcoin miners are in the same datacenter and they all have cases.

I don't think the extra fan wires can handle the power draw. They are like 20 or 22 awg.

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:12:07 PM

the datacenter they are going into wants them in a case. Others bitcoin miners are in the same datacenter and they all have cases.

I don't think the extra fan wires can handle the power draw. They are like 20 or 22 awg.

If those fans are 12V, then the psu can handle them without an issue.

Is that what you asked?

All is Mine!

ipxtreme

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:20:52 PM

I would think so but I connected another positive and negative cable to the PSU and wire nut all the fans on it and the wire on one of the molex fan cables started to smoke.

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:28:15 PM

I would think so but I connected another positive and negative cable to the PSU and wire nut all the fans on it and the wire on one of the molex fan cables started to smoke.

Had you cut the molex plug, or you used some extension?

I need also specs of the fans. Can you please provide?

All is Mine!

ipxtreme

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:46:10 PM

I keep typing Roswell. I meant Rosewill case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164

2x 80mm rear fans, 3x 120mm front fans and 3x 120mm middle fans deliver exceptional thermal performance you can rely on.

I cut a spare molex connector and tied it to my red and black cables from the PSU. Wire nut and taped it. Then I daisy changed all the molex to one another. It was like the 3rd one down the line that was laying on the case that started to smoke. Good thing nothing happened to the Ants or the PSU.

Those fans work perfect when I connect a PC PSU to it with builtin molex connections from the PSU.

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:57:58 PM

I keep typing Roswell. I meant Rosewill case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164

2x 80mm rear fans, 3x 120mm front fans and 3x 120mm middle fans deliver exceptional thermal performance you can rely on.

I cut a spare molex connector and tied it to my red and black cables from the PSU. Wire nut and taped it. Then I daisy changed all the molex to one another. It was like the 3rd one down the line that was laying on the case that started to smoke. Good thing nothing happened to the Ants or the PSU.

Those fans work perfect when I connect a PC PSU to it with builtin molex connections from the PSU.

The mistake was the daisy chain.

You have to send each wire pair of each fan to the psu.

Dont send a single pair for all fans.

All is Mine!

CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:50:14 AM

Updated post #141 with additional pictures.

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:03:26 AM

Updated post #141 with additional pictures.

Nice, but as everything is so small in there.

Isnt it difficult to do it?

All is Mine!

ElGabo

Activity: 635

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:15:39 AM

I will take pics of my solder so you guys can have a chuckle later. Here are 2 Ants in a Roswell case. Plus the server power supply I bought for $11.50 each on ebay.

I have 5 of these cases with 10 Ants total. I also used the copper L-shaped connector from Home Depot. Each wire is 14 awg.

do you see the molex connectors for the case fans? Can I hook that up to the PSU too? Or do I need a lower power level to connect them?

I don't want to be the clever guy but aren't those cables from the psu to the ants a little bit thin?

When I install my server psu-s I use 12 x 1 mm2 cables for + 12 v and the same for ground. I know the half is enough just to be sure....

But as I see you made it only about 1 x 1 mm2 (maybe 1.5 mm2) for + 12 v and the same for the ground and split to 3 lines. If I were you I would check the cable temps and do some calculations what cable diameter is needed for 200W at 12V, it's about 17 amp.

If you split to 3 lines you should use 3 times thicker as you use after the split.

Repeat, I don't want to be the clever guy, just wanted to help....

If somebody is interested I can drop a picture how my server psu look like.

" I'm waiting for my punishment, I know it's on my way
  So cut, cut, cut me up and fuck, fuck, fuck me up"
tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:14:08 AM

I don't want to be the clever guy but aren't those cables from the psu to the ants a little bit thin?

When I install my server psu-s I use 12 x 1 mm2 cables for + 12 v and the same for ground. I know the half is enough just to be sure....

But as I see you made it only about 1 x 1 mm2 (maybe 1.5 mm2) for + 12 v and the same for the ground and split to 3 lines. If I were you I would check the cable temps and do some calculations what cable diameter is needed for 200W at 12V, it's about 17 amp.

If you split to 3 lines you should use 3 times thicker as you use after the split.

What do you mean 12 x 1 mm2 ? What wire is that?

Yes, please post some pictures.

All is Mine!

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:19:53 AM

I post also some pictures as taken from my thermal camera.

It is interesting to see on the 2nd pic , that the cable I made is a little faulty as it becomes hotter.
I need to check the contact and soldering.

Also the rest showing the thermal flow on the pcbs as well one of the fan runs hotter.

All is Mine!

ElGabo

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:24:42 AM

What do you mean 12 x 1 mm2 ? What wire is that?

Yes, please post some pictures.

Sorry it it was my fault. 12 pieces x 1 mm2. 6 pieces x 1mm2 for +12V and 6 pieces x 1mm2 for ground.

I'll check it in awg size and drop it with the pictures. (We use mm2 here.)

ElGabo

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:36:26 AM

Just shot 2 pics with my phone. I leave it in big size so you can check what am i talking about.

This way the cables won't get hot for sure.

Next time when I make psu-s I'll some pics about how am I solder the wires into the psu-s.

Edit: Checked the awg number, it's about 16 - 17 awg what I use.

Edit2: Every connector and cables are custom made, i don't trust factory made connectors....

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:48:20 AM

Just shot 2 pics with my phone. I leave it in big size so you can check what am i talking about.

This way the cables won't get hot for sure.

Next time when I make psu-s I'll some pics about how am I solder the wires into the psu-s.

Edit: Checked the awg number, it's about 16 - 17 awg what I use.

Edit2: Every connector and cables are custom made, i don't trust factory made connectors....

Very beautiful and clean job.

But using 6 wires I think is an overkill.
6 wires of 1mm2 (17awg) each makes a total of almost 8mm2 (or 8awg)

The 8mm2 (or 8awg) can handle more than 30amp.

Each blade will not need more than 18amp o'cked.

Although, if you want to keep that safe is not a bad idea.

All is Mine!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: