Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:54:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Server PSU for Antminer S1, step by step guide.  (Read 40328 times)
tzortz (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:03:08 AM

$7.80 each.....

Replacing $300 Corsair AX1200's

Ho, ho ,ho!
Beautiful view!

Did you buy on ebay?

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 12:41:14 PM

EBay yes.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 02:32:43 PM

$7.80 each.....

I paid more like $12. Smiley

shaxs

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:12:18 PM

Okay I went out of town for 6 days and have no problems what-so-ever! I am going to stick to 1.5 antminers per psu though. They are cheap enough to make it still very economical.

tzortz, using an infrared thermometer, I found the heat at the bare wire inputs on the antminer are about 40c.
GordonBM

Activity: 137

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:46:06 AM

I managed to fix the HP 500W server psu to power 1 ant.
I got the psu for free at school as they were replacing racks and just gave the old stuff away.

I got hacked by some Syrian faggot and now I have negative feedback.
GordonBM

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:39:31 PM

Successfully modified my Dells aswell!
Putting out 700W

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:42:00 AM

Okay I went out of town for 6 days and have no problems what-so-ever! I am going to stick to 1.5 antminers per psu though. They are cheap enough to make it still very economical.

tzortz, using an infrared thermometer, I found the heat at the bare wire inputs on the antminer are about 40c.

40c is ok then. Mine would go up to 50c at midday. But witout problems.

Did you get the wires?

All is Mine!

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:42:57 AM

Putting out 700W

I know those dells are very loud. They are like sreaming. Arent they?

All is Mine!

GordonBM

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:00:00 PM

Putting out 700W

Very loud, but I've put them in a datacentre. So I don't really care Smiley

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:07:03 PM

Putting out 700W

Nice. I know that they are SO reliable.

All is Mine!

GordonBM

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:22:39 PM

Putting out 700W

Nice. I know that they are SO reliable.

And cheap!
Now I can sell my ATX PSU's with profit.
I also have that HP & 2 DELLs, but all of them are only 500W max each.

shaxs

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:34:25 AM

Did you get the wires?

Yes finally!! Sorry I meant to let you know. I was out of town when the post office tried to deliver. Then they took it back to the post office and misplaced them and couldn't find the package. They filed it under your name (the sender) instead of mine as the receiver.

They work great! Thanks again!
tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:31:49 AM

Did you get the wires?

Yes finally!! Sorry I meant to let you know. I was out of town when the post office tried to deliver. Then they took it back to the post office and misplaced them and couldn't find the package. They filed it under your name (the sender) instead of mine as the receiver.

No problem, you re welcome.

Take a picture to see what you have done

All is Mine!

shaxs

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:06:26 PM

Did you get the wires?

I will soon. I am almost done with my "mining shed".
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:51:39 PM

$7.80 each.....

I paid $5 each Smiley  (but had to pick up locally)

why are they opened up like that? My advice for a simple non-reversible modification:
1) PS-ON : achieve this by using a tiny flattip to pop up pins 3&4 and bend them into contact with eachother. add a quick hit of solder to make this permenant
2) 12V & GND:  remove all the plastic around the outer two slot connectors (the middle one is more complicated so just leave it be). this will leave 6 pins easily accessible for both 12V and the GND slots, and you can jam in as many wires as needed and have lots of points of contact for soldering. (hint: 100W+ soldering iron is needed or it will be extremely frustrating when nothing melts or sticks)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
shaxs

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:55:23 PM

Did you get the wires?

I will soon. I am almost done with my "mining shed".

100a dedicated line being installed now to the "mining shed". Here is a quick pic of the shed itself:

It is air conditioned and will have an inline exhaust fan with registers behind each rack of miners to expel heat produced by the miners.
shaxs

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:57:00 PM

$7.80 each.....

why are they opened up like that? My advice for a simple non-reversible modification:
1) PS-ON : achieve this by using a tiny flattip to pop up pins 3&4 and bend them into contact with eachother. add a quick hit of solder to make this permenant
2) 12V & GND:  remove all the plastic around the outer two slot connectors (the middle one is more complicated so just leave it be). this will leave 6 pins easily accessible for both 12V and the GND slots, and you can jam in as many wires as needed and have lots of points of contact for soldering. (hint: 100W+ soldering iron is needed or it will be extremely frustrating when nothing melts or sticks)

They are opened up like that so he can solder the jumper on the bottom of the board. It takes me less than a minute to open up, solder board and close back up again.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 05:16:15 PM

$7.80 each.....

http://puu.sh/7RG7l.jpg

They are opened up like that so he can solder the jumper on the bottom of the board. It takes me less than a minute to open up, solder board and close back up again.

Yeah,  I was using the quick 5 minute electric tape + PCI bracket to power them on.  But soldering was faster.  With a 40 watt iron.  Your mod sounds way more intense than either the ones used on this thread. 

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:18:09 PM

100a dedicated line being installed now to the "mining shed". Here is a quick pic of the shed itself:

It is air conditioned and will have an inline exhaust fan with registers behind each rack of miners to expel heat produced by the miners.

That looks like a grow house. Be careful that you don't look extremely suspicious by running huge amounts of power to a well-ventilated, light-sealed shed in your yard that you are going in and out of several times a week.

You might get a knock from the cops - followed by the tax-man

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:29:04 PM

Just got these in today - I have several dozen for sale and can order more if required.

6-pin PCI-e connector (black)
30cm, 16AWG wires (yellow and black)
tinned ends on wire  (1cm tinned)

These are solid connectors and far superior to the garbage 18AWG connectors found on ebay. I have yet to test them on hardware, but there should be absolutely no problem carrying 200W or more (potentially upwards of 250W) through these leads. (In comparison, I have seen other cheap 18awg wiring melt or burn at over 150W)

40 are available right now, SHIPPING FROM TORONTO, CANADA

1-4 units: $3.50 each
5-10 units: $2.75 each
11-20 units: $2.25 each

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: