Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:22:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: people buying used miners  (Read 4730 times)
thresher (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 02:06:32 PM

I don't get it.
Perfect example is the 336 mhs usb one.  It is not worth more than $2 under the most ideal circumstance (free power.)
Yet they sell for anywhere from 5-15 and actually move. 
Wtf  Huh 
Are the parts valuable or something? 
At the rate these used mienrs move, they are going to rip more people off than mt gox  Shocked (ok exaggeration.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
altenergy

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:29:21 AM

Yeah, it's crazy. I watched 38Gh/s miners go for $500+ on ebay. That's more than $12 per Gh. People buying like that are what's making the price go up. A Gh is not worth more than $3.
irrational

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:42:52 AM

I don't get it.
Perfect example is the 336 mhs usb one.  It is not worth more than $2 under the most ideal circumstance (free power.)
Wtf  Huh 
At the rate these used mienrs move, they are going to rip more people off than mt gox  Shocked (ok exaggeration.)

You're right, but keep in mind that there are a lot of people who only want to "dip their toes" in Bitcoin at first. So, buying a $15 BE off ebay is actually a sane way to do that.

Now, continuing to do that once they're ready to swim out in the deep end is wasteful.
BitcoinWebHostingRatings

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:53:33 AM

lol its all noobies that are being introduced to mining. Some People I know buy them for fun, though just 1-2 for entertainment
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:20:48 AM

I don't get it.
Wtf  Huh 

You're right, but keep in mind that there are a lot of people who only want to "dip their toes" in Bitcoin at first. So, buying a $15 BE off ebay is actually a sane way to do that.

Now, continuing to do that once they're ready to swim out in the deep end is wasteful.

If you want to dip your toes in, you might as well buy BTC for $15 rather than a BE. A BE will mine a couple mBTC at best.

That said, I can imagine the price for BEs to be relatively high because of the gadget factor. Many people buy one or two just for fun, realizing that they will never get anything close to their moneys worth of coins out of it.
thresher (OP)

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:40:26 AM

So we basically have, a lack of knowledge and people that are just into the mining process.
Oh well.  Nothing we can really do about it.
I guess no used bargain deals until people wise up.     
TechByPC

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:29:20 PM

<sarcasm>
Are you kidding!? Those things saved me hours of clicking on faucets for a slightly better return. They are a great investment!
</sarcasm>
designfail

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:58:04 PM

Yeah, it's crazy. I watched 38Gh/s miners go for $500+ on ebay. That's more than $12 per Gh. People buying like that are what's making the price go up. A Gh is not worth more than $3.

People could mine altcoins with sha-256 equipment, just for fun.
People may not be ready to spend few K dollars for 1TH machines but $500 is ok to loose. My 2 cents.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:08:47 PM

There are actually a couple of reasons...

1) As stated above, people want to try bitcoin out.  They heard about it and instead of dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars, this is the alternative approach.

2) People will pay a premium in USD for these devices.  This could be because they do not know how to buy bitcoin or for the convenience of being able to pay in bitcoin.  Either way, there has always been a premium when paying in USD over Btc.

3) People are ignorant.  They hear about bitcoin and immediately jump in without doing their due diligence.  I have been selling the USB eruptors (among other things) on amazon for $50 to $60 a piece! (a few unfortunate souls bough new ones priced over $110) when they would make maybe .01 btc a piece in their lives.  And it wasn't like one would sell every couple of days, I was dropping off 10 to 20 packages a day at the post office.  (and since amazon doesn't let me change the shipping costs, I usually make more off of shipping costs ~$5 per device, then I do off of actually buying and selling the eruptors)

Funny story, one guy once bought 18 off of me from amazon.  He paid almost $100 for shipping that cost me under $6 to send to him.

People are just ignorant and do not do research is my thinking.  I understand it may be kind of hard to just buy bitcoin in the U.S., but with a little work and research it is not impossible.  Maybe they do not want to submit bank info, or maybe they do not want to meet someone in person?  These are both viable points, but I keep coming back to, people do not research enough before jumping in.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Und3rd0g

Activity: 231

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:02:49 PM

My experience is that the ebay buyers are looking to "try out" mining and don't mind paying what we see as a "premium". It's kinda sad though that there are people who take advantage of this, charge overly outrageous prices, and then brag about it.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 11:22:45 PM

Praytell, where can I buy mining hardware for less than $3/Ghash?

Assume I don't want to budget more than $1000.

I would also comment that these devices on e-bay are "in hand", meaning they may ship in less than "two weeks".

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:49:31 PM

My experience is that the ebay buyers are looking to "try out" mining and don't mind paying what we see as a "premium". It's kinda sad though that there are people who take advantage of this, charge overly outrageous prices, and then brag about it.

I would not say its sad at all.  No one forced them to buy anything I offered.  Also my margins were hundreds of percent less than most things you buy on a daily basis.  That drink from Mcdonalds or coffee from Starbucks, do you know the margins on those?  thousands of percent!!  I was only offering a product, that they would not know how to get otherwise, and since I have experience and have invested my time in the game and learned the ins and outs, I feel like I should be the one making money.  Would it be different in any other industry?  Those with the knowledge make the money, how do you gain knowledge?  You invest time and effort.  I was willing to do that, those paying high prices did not, but instead decided they would take a chance without fully understanding what they were doing.  That hardly sounds like its my fault.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Gate559

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:21:45 PM

Assume I don't want to budget more than $1000.

I would also comment that these devices on e-bay are "in hand", meaning they may ship in less than "two weeks".

I don't think there is such a miner. Maybe if you buy second hand, don't pay VAT and the miner eats incredible amounts of electricity. And you get it next winter.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:10:36 PM

http://www.112bit.com/product/antminer-s1-dual-blade/

Easily OC to 200GH/s. Pretty damn close.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
madbit1000

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:21:14 PM

I don't get it.
Wtf  Huh 

If you want to dip your toes in, you might as well buy BTC for $15 rather than a BE. A BE will mine a couple mBTC at best.

That said, I can imagine the price for BEs to be relatively high because of the gadget factor. Many people buy one or two just for fun, realizing that they will never get anything close to their moneys worth of coins out of it.

You forget that there are other coins that they can dip their toes into other than bitcoins. So maybe people want to try this..

You should not buy a warrant unless you are prepared to sustain a total loss of the money you have invested plus any commission or other transaction charges
stsbrad

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:20:42 AM

What if they buy this and just let that mofo roll and go long term. Would they be stupid if in 2020 1BTC=$50,000 USD?
TechByPC

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:48:10 AM

What if they buy this and just let that mofo roll and go long term. Would they be stupid if in 2020 1BTC=$50,000 USD?

The most often cited argument against that is that it would have been more profitable to purchase BTC with fiat now rather than a miner. For a $600 investment you return $49,400. For $600 worth of usb block erupters (30 of them?) at 10GHS you'll "never" mine 1BTC, however you'll pay roughly $100/yr in electricity at 0.15/kwh and depending on the difficulty it is debatable whether "never" is actually true. At any rate, in 6 years of mining you'll have spent $600 in electricity which is what that 1BTC would have cost you in the first place, and you wouldn't have had the hassle of babysitting them. Oh, and I also left out the cost of running a computer or PI 24/7 because some people do that anyway, yadda yadda. The argument works without factoring it in.

Now if you have cheap/free electricity and you pay for your used miners with BTC and you make some calculations about the equipment's longevity and the rate of difficulty increases, you may find that you can return a profit in BTC, which is worth it.

People were willing to "waste" electricity on computing activities such as Distributed.NET, Prime95, SETI@home, Folding@home, etc when there was no chance of seeing a positive ROI. Mining has a far better ROI (positive or not) than any of those activities, and they were in no way small endeavors.

stsbrad

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:17:57 AM

I'm not saying he will have 1btc. I'm saying what if one = 50k in years to come. For a USB miner and just letting it roll, it's kind of like their own little mini faucet. That $10 investment was insanely easy to make and could generate a good return. I'm just trying to say some people wanna dabble in mining and see what happens without going balls deep. What have they lost if it craters?
TechByPC

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:15:39 PM

For what it's worth, I agree with you. The novelty / geeky-fun factor is what is relevant here. Some people would run these things even if there was no hope of a profit. That there is one (hope of a profit) makes it all the more appealing.
stsbrad

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:32:48 PM

For what it's worth, I agree with you. The novelty / geeky-fun factor is what is relevant here. Some people would run these things even if there was no hope of a profit. That there is one (hope of a profit) makes it all the more appealing.

^^^^^^^^^^ this
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: