Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 08:40:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RX 580 Brick After Flashing ROM!  (Read 389 times)
MATHReX (OP)

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 04, 2019, 03:33:11 PM
Merited by nc50lc (2)

So, I was about to sell my Sapphire RX580 8GB Pulse GPU which has mining bios flashed to it.
I didn't have a backup of the original BIOS, so I downloaded one from techpowerup & flashed it.
It was a successful flash and after a few seconds, there was no display to the monitor.
I tried a restart of the system but the fans didn't spin, the card was not recognized in the Device Manager & I guess, there was no power going through the card.
So, is there any way to bring the card back to life?
Also, the card is out of warranty.
vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2019, 06:45:39 PM

I think you should try to flash it in DOS with Atiflash. i think you will need 2 gpu, so you can boot with working gpu and than you flash the second device. If you have integrated gpu, use it.
Take a look this.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
September 04, 2019, 09:58:41 PM

I've had this happen before. However this usually happens AFTER you restart the computer and never right after a flash, very strange.

To fix this you will need to use the onboard GPU and put the GPU in one of the slots and remove the other GPUs inside the motherboard. You can try and putting it in a bootable Win98 USB flash drive to boot into DOS and use ATIFlash from there but most likely your GPU won't be found.

You will need to take a paper clip and short 2 pins while attempting to start the computer and it will force it into a type of "Limp mode" and you flash this way and it usually recovers your GPU.

Try the DOS method first and if it doesn't work i'll send you instructions on which pins to short.

And if you got dual bios (probably not) then use that instead. Might be a switch near the PCIe connectors.
mikhan2

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 05:58:37 AM

there is an amd unbricking thread here https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/593427-how-unbrick-your-bricked-graphics-card-fix-failed-bios-flash-24.html
MATHReX (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 06:06:29 AM

I think you should try to flash it in DOS with Atiflash. i think you will need 2 gpu, so you can boot with working gpu and than you flash the second device. If you have integrated gpu, use it.
Take a look this.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

I tried this and the latest version of ATIflash 4.17 DOS is six years old and it's not been updated since then.
It just throws an error of adapter not found, thus not able to force flash.
MATHReX (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 06:15:30 AM

I've had this happen before. However this usually happens AFTER you restart the computer and never right after a flash, very strange.

To fix this you will need to use the onboard GPU and put the GPU in one of the slots and remove the other GPUs inside the motherboard. You can try and putting it in a bootable Win98 USB flash drive to boot into DOS and use ATIFlash from there but most likely your GPU won't be found.

You will need to take a paper clip and short 2 pins while attempting to start the computer and it will force it into a type of "Limp mode" and you flash this way and it usually recovers your GPU.

Try the DOS method first and if it doesn't work i'll send you instructions on which pins to short.

And if you got dual bios (probably not) then use that instead. Might be a switch near the PCIe connectors.

You're absolutely correct.
The card is not being detected in the DOS too, with ATIflash it just says adapter not found.

Please send the instructions, I am more than willing to try anything at this point to recover the cards because now I'm facing this problem in two more of RX 570 cards.
Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 07:48:32 AM

and you are sure there aint no dual bios switch in the rear end of the card?  

atleast its at the rear end on my 570 pulse cards.

vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 09:48:13 AM

SPECIAL: If you receive the following error "Failed to read ROM ERROR 0FL01 : press '1' to continue"

You need to unlock the rom of the chip for writing, OR The flash command was not typed properly and the syntax is incorrect.

Code:

atiflash -unlockrom X

edit: It looks Pulse have a dual bios switch at the back of the card. Try that before.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
mineshop.eu
Copper Member

Activity: 404
Merit: 57

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 09:59:15 AM

SPECIAL: If you receive the following error "Failed to read ROM ERROR 0FL01 : press '1' to continue"

You need to unlock the rom of the chip for writing, OR The flash command was not typed properly and the syntax is incorrect.

Code:
atiflash -unlockrom X
edit: It looks Pulse have a dual bios switch at the back of the card. Try that before.

Yes card seems has dual switch, just flick other side and it should work, after the system is booted flick dual bios switch back. And flash the card as usual.

MATHReX (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 05:33:17 AM

I tried the 8 + 1 Pin Method to get the card detected in Windows or in DOS.
I didn't have any success with it though.
The card just doesn't detect and there seems to be no way to force flash until and unless the card is detected.
MATHReX (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 06:01:51 AM

and you are sure there aint no dual bios switch in the rear end of the card?  

atleast its at the rear end on my 570 pulse cards.

Yes card seems has dual switch, just flick other side and it should work, after the system is booted flick dual bios switch back. And flash the card as usual.

You have v2 cards of the same model where all of them had two bios, gaming + compute.
I have v1 cards which are pretty old and doesn't feature dual bios in any of the model series.
This is the picture of Sapphire RX 570 4GB Pulse:

This is the picture of Sapphire RX 580 8GB Pulse:

None of them have dual switch bios, if they had, I would have been so grateful.
MATHReX (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 06:05:13 AM

Code:

atiflash -unlockrom X

I'll keep that in mind but I'm not able to get the card detected at the first place.
I tried 8 + 1 Pin short method, DOS flash method but it always throws the same comment, "Adapter not found" thus GPU not being detected.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
September 07, 2019, 01:10:12 AM

get occasion to learn to solder Smiley
MATHReX (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2019, 06:11:41 AM

get occasion to learn to solder Smiley

It's the only thing that I haven't tried.
I'm going to get a basic tool kit for soldering, watch some video tutorials as to how to get started with it and try the 8 + 1 Pin method again and hope that it will work.
If I can save even two cards out of the three bricked cards. I've going to be happy about it.
bobalazs

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2020, 12:31:32 PM

i hate to ressurrect topic but
maybe it will help fellow googlers
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
techpowerups UEFI Shell Version allowed me to flash bricked card.
in windows version no matter what i did, "error reading from ROM" was the message.
i can't recall the exact syntax
amdvbflash -p 0 romname.rom
if i recall correctly.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
August 27, 2020, 02:03:07 PM

i hate to ressurrect topic but
maybe it will help fellow googlers
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
techpowerups UEFI Shell Version allowed me to flash bricked card.
in windows version no matter what i did, "error reading from ROM" was the message.
i can't recall the exact syntax
amdvbflash -p 0 romname.rom
if i recall correctly.

UEFI Shell version, is the normal version and won´t work for all bricked cards. The only trick, which is working on every AMD card is this one:

Still cannot POST!!!
Even after you used one of the methods above and still cannot POST, your bricked card is probably preventing the system from working. In this case, you'll have to locate the video BIOS chip and short 1-8 pins with a paperclip, or small wire, or by soldering until flashing is complete. The BIOS chip is usually 8-pin and located on the rear, bottom side, tagged as U1-12 on the PCB, but be sure to verify first by searching online the text written on the chip (e.g. A25L0100). Search engine results should be related to "flash memory chip", not a regulator or anything else.

link:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-to-recover-from-a-bad-video-bios-flash.265939/
john1010

Activity: 2086
Merit: 562

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2020, 08:49:20 AM

Good thing to see this thread it might be help me with my 8 Sapphire RX 570 8gb cards, I bricked it by randomly change its bios mode, I hope that i can get the solution in this thread. If you have a solution too with error 43 with my cards it's really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: