Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:08:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do whales got burnt in the market.  (Read 300 times)
BayAngelo (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 04:24:33 PM

Most folks do believe that the market is been controlled by whales while some don't. some believed that nobody controlled the market.
My question is simple. just like newbies and novices got rekt and burnt in the market, DO Whales got burnt, Rekt or funds got  liquidate in this crypto market.?
i think Nobody controls this market.

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3841

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 04:29:45 PM

Probably? No one has 100% total control over the markets, and whales can only affect the prices to a certain extent. We can safely assume that whales are also traders to a certain degree, hence it wouldn't be far-fetched to think that they've also made certain decisions in the past that caused them to lose money. May it be in terms of USD or BTC.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 06:30:11 PM

I can't find the exact news article anymore, in fact several of them, but I have seen a lot of millionaires who lose money in the market just because they entered the wrong trade. Some of them even have a point to liquidate at the top but they still decided to hodl during the 2017 bull run now they got caught up with a 18 month bear market. Whales might have the upper hand on influencing the market but they still are not safe from the volatility or sudden shifts happening to the market, it's not like whales have their own team on when they will decide to change the tide in the market.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 07:18:10 PM

Most folks do believe that the market is been controlled by whales while some don't. some believed that nobody controlled the market.
My question is simple. just like newbies and novices got rekt and burnt in the market, DO Whales got burnt, Rekt or funds got  liquidate in this crypto market.?

Absolutely, they do. I've seen Bitmex traders get liquidated on $100 million positions. No matter how much capital a whale has, he can't just force the market to his whims.

The whales who try to fight the market and push it where it doesn't want to go don't stay whales for long. Those whales get harpooned.

leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 07:25:02 PM

Everybody eventually loses. Nobody's ever 100% accurate in trading, and as extasie mentioned, there's often liquidations of positions of $10 Million on Bitmex whenever large moves happen in one direction or other, though ideally you set stops before liquidation to save on fees. AFAIK the risk limits limit the amount of amount of contracts you can have on one contract on one account at a time to 10 million contracts, though people likely make multiple accounts to circumvent this (and people do this for hedging purposes as well).
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 10:54:44 PM

Got rekt? Yeah, Maybe? Because whales are still traders, they got loss or gain profit.

As for this moves buying or selling, they could trigger a short period of hype and its opposite, so by saying controlled, no, no one can control the actual price. Its all speculations and nothing to worry if they sold there coins.
asajapheth

Activity: 76
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2019, 10:59:27 PM

Anyone can make losses in the market. So yeah, whales can get burnt. As a trader, you'd notice that price fluctuations could be losses if they are not wedged against. I've met a few whales that traded a popular token get burnt for refusing to sell at the right time.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 11:23:41 PM

All traders are affected by fluctuations and volatility. Whales don't have the magic to avoid it.

Controlling the market is not the usual they will buy or sell then everyone will do it too, it's not how controlling the market means. They will attempt to do something big then they will see if the community will react. If majority follows, then good to them. If not, then the attempt to do something on that coin is failed. However here in BTC that was difficult to do now because of the reason we already know. But in other small altcoins, manipulations really happen.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 11:26:58 PM

Whales aren't that different from small fishes like you and me, because having much more money doesn't necessarily mean that they know more or have better trading strategies.

A lot of whale money has gone to waste trying to support the price during the 2018 bear market. I'm sure that the wales were just as afraid seeing the price hit $3000 as most of the people on this forum were.

It's nearly impossible to prevent old hands from crashing the price down, especially with how MtGox has been a huge seller. The positive side effect of these sales are that coins get redistributed fairer. Smiley

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Jating

Activity: 2940
Merit: 810

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 10:31:55 AM

My question is simple. just like newbies and novices got rekt and burnt in the market, DO Whales got burnt, Rekt or funds got  liquidate in this crypto market.?
Absolutely, no one is really safe here, even whales got REKT specially in 2018. Remember they have big capital so they can lose big as well.

I guess we have the misconception that whales can manipulate the market in whatever form they want. It is not true and they can also be a victim of manipulation itself because no one can really control a market that is so volatile and at the same time so big such as bitcoin market.
stadus
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1293

Hhampuz for Campaign management

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 11:31:40 AM

100%, not all whales are really successful in investing and in trading.
When we say whales, they are those who have big money risk in crypto, and they can sure move the market, however, they don't make a uniform decision, so some whales makes money while some whales also loss money.

People kinda believe that whales are those who are real successful here, but they can't generalize that because they are normal investors also, they have a profitable and a losing journey like us.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
NJB18

Activity: 663
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 11:39:05 AM

100%, not all whales are really successful in investing and in trading.
When we say whales, they are those who have big money risk in crypto, and they can sure move the market, however, they don't make a uniform decision, so some whales makes money while some whales also loss money.

People kinda believe that whales are those who are real successful here, but they can't generalize that because they are normal investors also, they have a profitable and a losing journey like us.

Correct. Whales have their own battles too. There are some whales that group themselves in order to move in uniform way but there is still no 100% guarantee of success. In forex big banks are the ones playing the market. There was a case before where the US government imposed heavy penalties on some big international banks for their connivance in playing the market. This is probably the same case with margin trade on crypto currencies.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 12:09:48 PM

Perfect example of how whales rekt themselves is to look at all the institutional crypto funds that were set up during 2017/2018 and failed hard. They had balances of $100 million and upwards to invest but lost the majority of it, which left their clients regret ever getting involved in this crypto hype. A fool with a lot of money is still a fool at the end of the day.

People always talk about whales as if they are collectively trying to manipulate the market, but they are trading against other whales just as hard as we trade against people with a similar balance to us. Whales rekt other whales, and then the masses who panic sell or buy rekt even more whales. Not even the largest whales come out unharmed. This market is brutal af, even more so if you are into leverage trading.
Reid

Activity: 2898
Merit: 642

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 11:41:25 PM

Yes they can.
One could be drunk trading or he is just one heck of an idiot.
The answer is already in your statement.
If you have the power to manipulate the trend then what the heck are you going to lose for?

There is just no reason for that to happen or it could be if another whale richer than you wants to dominate.
Julien_Olynpic
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 3078

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 02:39:51 AM

Whales are not members of trade unions. They work alone. I assume that they can coordinate their activities for a while. But they will not miss the opportunity to eat their rival. In the market, all players play against everyone. The market is so arranged. Whales are more like sharks.
Dank14

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 03:27:28 AM

Even when a whale loses money in a trade, he'll get it back just by the large volume he owns.

Extent of market impact depends on the size of the whale.
perla

Activity: 1932
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 03:33:55 AM

I think yes sometime, but most of time i think whales will know when to take profit. If issue that whales control market is right, i think they who dump the coins and who get rekt and burn in market is people who panic and make wrong decision in trading. That is why although we are novice or newbie, we should control our emotion first in trading. The most important thing.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1219

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 04:29:27 AM

Why not? Of course, whales do get their fingers burnt from time to time. No one knows it all and I am sure some whales might have sold to reenter the market cheap but didn't get that opportunity. Some may be bagholding certain altcoins that also have turned shitty and that is cash gone down the drains. This happens to the rest of us even when we buy small. No one truly can tell the future. We can only speculate and most times we don't get it right.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
roosbit

Activity: 891
Merit: 43

Random coins :)

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 10:51:36 AM

Of course they do

but I think those whales who understand the market and know how to manipulate the market

usually get away with it because they can read between the lines and  signals available to them that tells them when to buy and sell coins.

Oyarebu

Activity: 258
Merit: 32

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 11:39:38 AM

Absolutely yes. Remember that no one is an island and whales can be affected in the market likewise the unwhales. Sometimes, their intent to control the market price always if not sometimes affects them against their wish and will thereby hut them inreturn. I have seen on Twitter where some of them also cried because of market manipulation, so, no one is exhibited.

bc1q09t7xlllkfalkypqvca36qzczd6vlhctnpwj9u
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: