Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:29:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: smart hostile takeover  (Read 1482 times)
SaintFlow (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:43:03 PM

Lets assume you are a paid agent for one of the near monopoly power payment providers like MasterCard or visa:

How would you use lets say 5 million$ that the company has given you to destroy our communitys trust in bitcoin systematically?

If I had only $5 million, I wouldn't attack the currency directly. That's not enough money to do a successful attack. What I *would* do is use that $5 million to assemble a team of the best malware writers in the world and attack the shit of out the Bitcoin community. I'd write viruses that co-opt computers for mining, steal bitcoins, etc. It's much easier (and cheaper) to undermine the *legitimacy* of the currency and destroy it that way than it is to attack the technology itself.

TMA

I like this.

Do you have a lot of fantasy or do you walk with open eyes?  Grin

don't let me make you question your assumptions

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 12:22:21 AM

You can't counterfeit BTC.  It would require breaking SHA-256.  Given entire world governments and every cryptographer on the planet has looked for vulnerabilities spending $5M trying to break SHA-256 would be slightly less productive than putting it into one big pile and lighting it on fire.  At least the fire could keep you warm.

I agree with you, assuming that everything was implemented correctly. We thought the same thing about SSL for a while and look how that turned out. I'm not saying that SHA-256 is vulnerable in any way but I am saying there can be a lot of variables to be considered when attacking an algorithm and particular implementations of that algorithm.

There is a difference between vulnerability in Bitcoin protocol and counterfeiting Bitcoins.

To counterfeit is simply not possible. Every location of every Bitcoin ever created is known.  The best you could hope to do is steal Bitcoins by brute forcing the private keys of large value addresses.  That would require a flaw in SHA-256.

On the other hand there are vulnerabilities in Bitcoin protocol.  Finney attack, 51% attack, DDOS of nodes, double spends, etc.  However that isn't the same thing as saying you can counterfeit coins.  I wasn't indicating that Bitcoin is invulnerable.  It most certainly has known and unknown vulnerabilities however those vulnerabilities lie in the "trust" of a transaction not in the coins themselves.  I was just stating counterfeiting coins is not possible.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 06:11:51 AM

Lets assume you are a paid agent for one of the near monopoly power payment providers like MasterCard or visa:

How would you use lets say 5 million$ that the company has given you to destroy our communitys trust in bitcoin systematically?

If I had only $5 million, I wouldn't attack the currency directly. That's not enough money to do a successful attack. What I *would* do is use that $5 million to assemble a team of the best malware writers in the world and attack the shit of out the Bitcoin community.

TMA
How about a team of the the best hitmen and attack the shit out of the Bitcoin community...seems to work for lots of governments.

Or to roll that back, a team of the the best government lobbyists and attack the shit out of the Bitcoin community
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: