Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:20:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Punycode and how to protect yourself from Spoofed URLs and fake websites.  (Read 1075 times)
Learn Bitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 822

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2023, 11:12:07 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), wwzsocki (1)

A friendly bump!

I believe this thread needs more attention from everyone, so it gets bumped. People need to read this and understand the importance of the Punycode and Homograph phishing attacks. I thought I knew many things, but I am being honest here, I never heard about it before this week when SFR10 mentioned it. He forwarded me to this thread, which everyone should read and know.

@wwzsocki, I had a fight with you in another thread but the truth is, I never wanted to engage in a fight but you got insulted by me. I am sorry for that. I hope you didn't take it with heavy heart.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2023, 12:48:16 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2023, 07:28:37 AM by wwzsocki
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4)

@wwzsocki, I had a fight with you in another thread but the truth is, I never wanted to engage in a fight but you got insulted by me. I am sorry for that. I hope you didn't take it with heavy heart.

I keep sitting here and look for posts in my account history to recall what was this all about but can't find anything. I hope it wasn't done on purpose, maybe language barriers, please send me link if there is any or remind (maybe in DM?) what was that all about,

I hope it wasn't my intention to insult you but if it was then one more time i am very sorry and hope that you will be able to accept my apology

A friendly bump!

I believe this thread needs more attention from everyone, so it gets bumped. People need to read this and understand the importance of the Punycode and Homograph phishing attacks. I thought I knew many things, but I am being honest here, I never heard about it before this week when SFR10 mentioned it. He forwarded me to this thread, which everyone should read and know.

I have edited/updated a bit for beter read, thanks for bumping it, also hope that more people will read about "Punycode and how to protect yourself from Homograph Phishing attacks"

Punycode and Homograph Phishing attacks are the easiest way to get scammed and many even experienced internet users are not able to recognize it, enough to type username and password on fake website

Lately this scam is even better and there are fake websites that redirect to original website after hitting login for example, so there is small chance to recognize that something gone wrong, people think "oh failed login, for sure typed wrong, fat fingers" and try one more time, which is successful, they don't expect that somebody just got access to this account.

I myself almost shared password to one of my exchanges accounts, so I am totally aware how well made fake websites are, at first look I wasn't able to recognize it, don't mention spoofed URL, of course it looked exactly same as original

The best practice to be safe is to use links only from trusted sources, direct links and bookmark them.

Password manager is also very helpful, in my case switched on the red lamp when i wasn't able to login to the fake website when I was simply clicking on username, it should fill automatically and I got nothing, couldn't login even if I wanted to because didn't knew the password, it is strong and generated by the password manager.

always use Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) if possible

Learn Bitcoin

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2023, 06:30:38 AM

I hope it wasn't my intention to insult you but if it was then one more time i am very sorry and hope that you will be able to accept my apology
. You didn't insult me. It was my bad buddy! If you already forgot what happened, I don't want to remind you about it anymore. But I can give you a hint that it occurred in the Sinbad Bitcoin prize prediction thread. I am genuinely sorry, and I hope you didn't take it with a heavy heart.

I have edited/updated a bit for beter read, thanks for bumping it, also hope that more people will read about "Punycode and how to protect yourself from Homograph Phishing attacks"

Thanks for updating the thread. As I said, I had never heard about it before SFR10 mentioned this. I never knew something like this existed. I bumped this one because I believe more people should read about it.

wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2023, 04:11:13 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2023, 09:53:39 AM by wwzsocki
Merited by Learn Bitcoin (2)

You didn't insult me. It was my bad buddy! If you already forgot what happened, I don't want to remind you about it anymore. But I can give you a hint that it occurred in the Sinbad Bitcoin prize prediction thread. I am genuinely sorry, and I hope you didn't take it with a heavy heart.

oh thanks for explanation, I don't like personal fights and am immediately nervous to such extend that i couldn't understand what was written, don't know what to think about this, i need a chill pill i assume  Cool

no i don't remember this at all, i am such type that usually don't involve in fights and always try to be polite.
I've never been able to hold a grudge against someone for long

Learn Bitcoin

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2023, 01:21:23 AM
Merited by wwzsocki (1)

oh thanks for explanation, don't know how I understood you wrongly, now when i read it again is obvious (written in plain English  Cheesy)
Thanks for understanding. No one is above the mistakes, and I guess I was the one who unintentionally wrote something bad. I am happy to know you didn't take it too heavily, and even you forgot that already.

I don't like personal fights and am immediately nervous when i read about to such extend that i haven't understood you correctly,
don't know what to think about this, i need a chill pill i assume  Cool
I also like to stay neutral all the time, but sometimes I do something that is not acceptable to others. But, I believe I can handle criticism, and I understand what mistakes I made in the past. Saying sorry for my own mistakes won't make me down. So, when it's my mistake, I would be very much happy to apologize.

wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2023, 10:00:57 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2023, 08:25:05 PM by wwzsocki

ok let's stop with this offtopic and bring back discussion about Homograph Phishing attacks

have you found any new fake website with spoofed name worth attention and sharing lately? known exchange or wallet maybe?

I keep thinking if I shall add links to your thread and the others I have seen when i was reading your comments about Punycode and Homograph Phishing attacks to make it easy to find for members that are interested and want to read more about this.

I think is worth to do it, if you agree with me and have any links that I can add please share, I will take a look and add the most valuable once or all of them, we will see

Learn Bitcoin

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2023, 01:01:29 PM

have you found any new fake website with spoofed name worth attention and sharing lately? known exchange or wallet maybe?
Unfortunately, I haven't noticed any spoofed website names yet. As you already know, I didn't even know about it. I don't know If I have visited such a link before without understanding that this is not the real website. If I find anything like this in the future, I will keep update you about it.

I keep thinking if I shall add links to your thread and the others I have seen when i was reading your comments about Punycode and Homograph Phishing attacks to make it easy to find for members that are interested and want to read more about this.

I think is worth to do it, if you agree with me and have any links that I can add please share, I will take a look and add the most valuable once or all of them, we will see

I always agree with something that may help forum people. As I said, I didn't find any website yet as I wasn't aware about it. Moreover, I do not actively search for them. The scam websites links I gathered from a random search when I was interested about a specific miner. Let me know what should I do to help everyone.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: