Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:17:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitpay problems  (Read 233 times)
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
September 14, 2019, 07:00:14 AM

i had an upsetting experience tonight with bitpay.

i bought an amazon gift card through the bitpay wallet integration, which has worked smoothly the few times i've used it. this time, i got some weird error like "cannot fetch invoice" when i tried to confirm the purchase. so the gift card never arrived........but the bitcoins were sent. and i can see on a block explorer that they're clearly in a bitpay-controlled wallet. so i'm out a few hundred bucks now.

is this the best/only way to contact support? https://bitpay.com/request-help/wizard

it's all i can find. i opened a ticket......most requests are resolved in 3 business days they say. of course this would happen on a friday night! Angry

anyone have experience with this? is this gonna be a nightmare to sort out?

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AB de Royse777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 3892

Hire Bitcointalk Camp. Manager @ r7promotions.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2019, 07:09:00 AM

~snip~
it's all i can find. i opened a ticket......most requests are resolved in 3 business days they say. of course this would happen on a friday night! Angry
So you are basically stuck for at-least few days. I never liked BitPay. Since you were able to pay then I guess you are in a territory where they have their service.

Once I was in a country where I was not in their territory and I had to use their VPN. But it was not the same issue. Right now I only see the support from their customer service is the only option for you.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 14, 2019, 07:54:52 AM

I'm pretty sure they will sort it out, but the potentially less positive part about getting it sorted out is that they might require you to KYC verify yourself in order to get the refund. I know the amount is below their KYC threshold, but when it comes to refunds, errors and whatnot, they are quite aggressive when it comes to claiming that they were right and you wrong.

Not much to do than to wait and see how they respond to your ticket. I must say though, BitPay has been all over the news lately. Bad press over more bad press.

Not sure where you come from, but you can check Bitrefill if they allow you to purchase Amazon gift cards through their platform. They accept both Lightning and Bitcoin main net. In the US the max is 2000USD per gift card. In the UK the max is 5000GBP per gift card. They have swift support too. I know from experience. No more ShitPay
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2019, 08:10:48 AM

I'm pretty sure they will sort it out, but the potentially less positive part about getting it sorted out is that they might require you to KYC verify yourself in order to get the refund. I know the amount is below their KYC threshold, but when it comes to refunds, errors and whatnot, they are quite aggressive when it comes to claiming that they were right and you wrong.

dang, i hope that's not the case. it's definitely below the threshold.

Not sure where you come from, but you can check Bitrefill if they allow you to purchase Amazon gift cards through their platform. They accept both Lightning and Bitcoin main net. In the US the max is 2000USD per gift card.

yeah when this failed i quickly went to bitrefill so i could get the amazon order done. i normally use the bitpay wallet because the rates for amazon.com cards is usually 1-2% better. but i've certainly never run into problems like this with bitrefill either!

figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2019, 07:08:31 PM

update: bitpay replied to me after 48 hours or so. they asked for more information---my bitpay wallet ID and version number---and said they usually resolve these issues in 2 business days.

now for the bad news.....

i can't reply to their emails. every email i send in reply to support@bitpay.com is returned as undeliverable: "Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it."

so i've had to open a second ticket just to send them the wallet info and tell them they are rejecting all my emails. what a nightmare and a horrible interface for support. get a fucking zendesk, bitpay! Angry

arbiter5

Activity: 218
Merit: 105

The Nomad

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2019, 03:07:00 AM

Ah.. fucking BitPay once again. It's mind boggling how merchants aren't using BTCPay already.

Anyway, if they haven't replied through the their website support in a few days, I suggest throwing a tantrum on r/Bitcoin. Nothing gets a company's attention better than negative feedback and negative publicity.

"The cybereconomy could well be the greatest economic phenomenon of the next thirty years."
— The Sovereign Individual
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6115

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 09:32:24 AM

Not sure how responsive they are here, but you can try this: https://twitter.com/bitpaysupport?lang=en

Next time, If you want any gift cards (regardless of your location), there is a no better option than Bitrefill.

Ah.. fucking BitPay once again. It's mind boggling how merchants aren't using BTCPay already.

Anyway, if they haven't replied through the their website support in a few days, I suggest throwing a tantrum on r/Bitcoin. Nothing gets a company's attention better than negative feedback and negative publicity.

The reason why merchants are not switching to BTCPay is that they're not interested in holding BTC, they want to easily convert their earnings to fiat, which is what BitPay and other centralized payment processors facilitate.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 10:48:37 AM

The reason why merchants are not switching to BTCPay is that they're not interested in holding BTC, they want to easily convert their earnings to fiat, which is what BitPay and other centralized payment processors facilitate.

They don't have to hold Bitcoin (at least, not for a long period of time). It requires little effort to code something that automatically transfers the coins to an exchange and have them there converted to fiat. It would cut out the 1% fee that BitPay charges too, so there is a minor incentive right there.

I think BTCPay needs a bit more marketing in order to be more widely known. Most merchants just go with what they know of, and that unfortunately is BitPay.  Lips sealed
figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 04:56:35 PM

Not sure how responsive they are here, but you can try this: https://twitter.com/bitpaysupport?lang=en

Next time, If you want any gift cards (regardless of your location), there is a no better option than Bitrefill.

i might try that if i don't hear back in another day or two. it's not a life changing amount of money so i'm not freaking out. i am just super annoyed that they could open a ticket then reject all subsequent emails from the associated email address.

i had been using bitpay over bitrefill because the amazon cards were 1% cheaper. i'm switching to bitrefill from now on because of this experience though.

figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2019, 05:28:46 PM

another 3 days later and still not resolved. headed into another weekend too. Roll Eyes

they ignored the 2nd ticket i opened 4 days ago. i tweeted at bitpaysupport, they asked for my ticket number 24 hours ago. the only thing i've heard from support was a generic email saying they would close my ticket if they didn't hear back from me within 3 days.

any time i try to reply to the support email chain it gets rejected by their server as spam. i managed to get an email through to support@bitpay.com just now explaining the situation but i'm losing hope since they already ignored the 2nd ticket i opened.

figmentofmyass (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 07:23:07 PM

so this finally got resolved.

a few hours ago, the @bitpay twitter account told me that support had responded and sent me the gift card. i didn't see anything in my email about it so i was pretty upset. but then i tried creating a bitpay support account and lo-and-behold there was a reply in the thread that never came by email. the gift code was in the support reply (and thankfully still worked) which was a bit surprising since they usually make you go through an annoying refund process.

if you ever have problems with bitpay, don't bother trying to email back and forth. that shit was a nightmare. click the hyperlinked ticket # in their first auto-reply and create an account. i didn't even realize that support interface was there.

so at least there's a happy ending. only took 9 days......

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: