Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:18:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there other ways to give bitcoins to people physically besides paper wallets  (Read 870 times)
RGBKey (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 07:07:32 PM

I'm looking for something that doesn't have a private key on it, more like something where people go to a website and redeem it. Does something like this exist?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 07:10:01 PM

That's the problem with bitcoins. If you are not the only one who knows the private key of an address, you don't own those coins.  Undecided
LightedLamp

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:19:49 PM

Why would you want to ?
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:15:31 PM

I'm looking for something that doesn't have a private key on it, more like something where people go to a website and redeem it. Does something like this exist?

What's the difference between a private key and some code you give them to redeem it?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
RGBKey (OP)

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 11:51:35 PM

What's the difference between a private key and some code you give them to redeem it?
A code that I give them can be on a website that explains bitcoin and how to use it and redeem it
Why would you want to ?
Read the title, to give bitcoins to people.
LightedLamp

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:01:29 AM

A code that I give them can be on a website that explains bitcoin and how to use it and redeem it
Why would you want to ?

Let me make my question more explicit - why wouldn't you just send them to an address? And if you want to something to someone in person why wouldn't you just give them cash or checK ?
RGBKey (OP)

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 12:33:16 AM

Why would you want to ?

Let me make my question more explicit - why wouldn't you just send them to an address? And if you want to something to someone in person why wouldn't you just give them cash or checK ?
This is a bitcoin forum, isn't it? I'm trying to give bitcoins to people to get them interested, and those people won't have addresses yet. I want something non-technical (not a private key) to give them that's easy to understand, but still holds bitcoin value.
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:11:01 AM

Why would you want to ?

This is a bitcoin forum, isn't it? I'm trying to give bitcoins to people to get them interested, and those people won't have addresses yet. I want something non-technical (not a private key) to give them that's easy to understand, but still holds bitcoin value.

I think the best bet really will be a paper wallet. Without a private key, you have no Bitcoin value, as all Bitcoins must be attached to addresses that are attached to private keys.

This site has a great process for printing some very nice-looking paper wallets that are good for handouts. They should be relatively easy to understand because people are used to the concept of paper money.

freshlypickedflower

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:18:21 AM

Why would you want to ?

I think the best bet really will be a paper wallet. Without a private key, you have no Bitcoin value, as all Bitcoins must be attached to addresses that are attached to private keys.

This site has a great process for printing some very nice-looking paper wallets that are good for handouts. They should be relatively easy to understand because people are used to the concept of paper money.

there is a company which (cant remember name atm) sells bitcoin cards....but it doesnt have the private key on it. u redeem it on their website and they send the funds. this could solve the problem but u now have to trust a third party.
RGBKey (OP)

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:15:23 PM

I found pretty much exactly what I was looking for, bctip.com is really nice.
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 12:09:25 AM

I found pretty much exactly what I was looking for, bctip.com is really nice.

Great find! I think you mean btctip.org rather than .com. Bitcointalk thread for the site is here.

LightedLamp

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:34:45 PM

Why would you want to ?

there is a company which (cant remember name atm) sells bitcoin cards....but it doesnt have the private key on it. u redeem it on their website and they send the funds. this could solve the problem but u now have to trust a third party.

You mean like if I gave someone a piece of paper with a note - email me with your address to reedem .1 btc - and he emails me and I send .5 btc. Except You're paying middle-man fees to a company and the person has to go through some kind of verification procedure or create an account?
And this is instead of just giving someone 50 bucks ? Makes sense to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: