Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:08:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser extensions can steal bitcoin  (Read 1058 times)
boltz
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 02, 2019, 04:39:31 PM

This is why you never install low rated extensions and those who are not certified from google/mozilla or any browser you're using. It seems that a lot of malwares are circle again on social medias , browsers and this could lead to a hint that we are about to switch to a bull run soon ? because scams and malwares are always present when a swing of the market is about to happen so lets hope that this swing comes sooner that we think.
Also use only Chrome and Mozilla and if you don't need extensions don't use them and keep your coins into personal wallets or Nano Ledger for extra safety.

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
irixo10

Activity: 1078
Merit: 104

GoMeat - Digitalizing Meat Stores - ICO

View Profile
October 02, 2019, 08:03:26 PM

Yes that's true heard about some browser extensions which did that and they were reported and taken down. Also there are some which will come in the form of bitcoin mining extension once installed ends up stealing users data. Let's be careful of the extension we install, metamask has been proven to be genuine, we can stick with that or any other which is recommended; anything mining extension should not be installed.

Coin-1
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2232

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 01:53:38 AM

It should be noted that the Metamask extension for the Firefox/Chrome browser is necessary to the secure trading of ERC20 tokens on decentralized exchanges such as Etherdelta/Forkdelta/IDEX. Other similar sites and services which work with Ethereum smart contracts also require this plugin. Therefore, the Metamask extension is very useful and should be downloaded from the official website and verified via the file checksum.

Personally I do not trust most browser plugins that were created by fraudsters to steal coins from naive people. Undoubtedly, browser extension must be open source in order to any user can inspect and build the software using a local compiler.
Aabcde

Activity: 1050
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 02:03:06 AM

I have a bad experience with extensions in the browser. About a year ago.
This happens when I want to withdraw bitcoin and make money.
This extension covers the bitcoin address of the exchange with its own address. Initially I thought the exchange changed the deposit address. But after a few hours I complained to the support exchange. It turned out that the address I used for the deposit did not originate from the exchange.
Finally I investigated and found the answer. multi tab extension is what does all that. When I look at the bitcoin address, there are lots of balances. I think that's all the results of stealing.

▄▄█████   ▄▄█████   ▄▄█████  ▄▀▄
    ███████▌  ███████▌  ███████▌  ▀▄▀
   ████████  ████████  ████████   ▐▌
  ▐███████▌ ▐███████▌ ▐███████▌▄▄ █
  ████████  ████████  ████████ ██▐▌
 ▐███████▌ ▐███████▌ ▐███████▌▐█▀
 ████████  ████████  ████████
▐███████  ▐███████  ▐███████
█████▀▀   █████▀▀   █████▀▀
Metaspins 

▄▄█████▄▄▄
     ▄▄██████████████▄
 ▄▄███████  ████  █████
▐██▀▀██████████████████▌
 ██▄▄██  ██▀▀███████████
 ▐█████████▄▄████████  █▌
  ██  ███████████████████
  ▐███████████▀▀▀███████▀
   ▀█████████▄▄▄████▀▀▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀
2,500+
GAMES

█████████████████████████████
█████████ █████████ █████████
█████████ █████████ ████▀▄███
███▀▀▀███ ███▀▀▀███ ████▄████
████▀▄███ ████▀▄███ █████████
████▄████ ████▄████ ███▀▀▀███
EARN UP TO 57% RAKEBACK
WAGER FREE!
         ▄███▄▄▄
    ▄███████████████▄
    ██████████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████
    ███████████████████
    ███████████████████
   █
█████████████████
  ██
█████████████
 ███
█████████████████
████
█████████████
▀▀██
████████████████
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀███▀
1 Click Registration
Instant Payouts
[
]
Aabcde

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 03:12:06 AM

This extension covers the bitcoin address of the exchange with its own address. Initially I thought the exchange changed the deposit address. But after a few hours I complained to the support exchange. It turned out that the address I used for the deposit did not originate from the exchange.
Finally I investigated and found the answer. multi tab extension is what does all that. When I look at the bitcoin address, there are lots of balances. I think that's all the results of stealing.
and not only you has experience with this kind of things . and BTW can you tell us what extension it is that you use?

The name is Multilogin
But seems Chrome was deleted that extension from the web store.
I think it can use any wallets to cover the real one. because I got 2 times stealed from it, BTC and the token from ETH.

Metaspins 

▄▄█████▄▄▄
     ▄▄██████████████▄
 ▄▄███████  ████  █████
▐██▀▀██████████████████▌
 ██▄▄██  ██▀▀███████████
 ▐█████████▄▄████████  █▌
  ██  ███████████████████
  ▐███████████▀▀▀███████▀
   ▀█████████▄▄▄████▀▀▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀
2,500+
GAMES

EARN UP TO 57% RAKEBACK
WAGER FREE!
         ▄███▄▄▄
    ▄███████████████▄
    ██████████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████
    ███████████████████
    ███████████████████
   █
█████████████████
  ██
█████████████
 ███
█████████████████
████
█████████████
▀▀██
████████████████
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀███▀
1 Click Registration
Instant Payouts
[
]
steveabrahams

Merit: 254

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 03:47:09 AM

It is. One of my friend using bitcoin mining extension on his chrome browser and after a few days his bitcoin suddenly gone and transferred to another wallet. Tbh, most of unknown crypto browser extensions can steal your bitcoins. So be careful about that and never use crypto extension to your browser.
bussybuddy

Activity: 1190
Merit: 105

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 03:50:09 AM

and not only you has experience with this kind of things . and BTW can you tell us what extension it is that you use?

The name is Multilogin
I think it can use any wallets to cover the real one. because I got 2 times stealed from it, BTC and the token from ETH.
Oh my God. I just lost money when I installed this extension on my computer. All myetherwallet wallet assets were stolen

Jorge158

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 03:50:25 AM

Yes, they can. Last year we heard about the about an extension that was hacking people's crypto! Later then many people get confused about Metamask too. I only trust Metamask and ICX browser extension, I have been using it for years and they are really very secure, other extensions should be avoided I suggest.
Fake metamask extensions also existed in the chrome webstore and many disadvantages to crypto users who use chrome. Be more vigilant about using extensions. Download the original metamask extension only on the official metamask website.
Of course, a friend of mine was a victim of this fake metamask. His funds were stolen after importing his wallet using the Private Keys. It is always good to cross check the metamask before downloading, especially pay attention to the fox logo. The fake ones are similar but not the same as the original.

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                          
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
easynote

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 04:48:59 AM

It is. One of my friend using bitcoin mining extension on his chrome browser and after a few days his bitcoin suddenly gone and transferred to another wallet. Tbh, most of unknown crypto browser extensions can steal your bitcoins. So be careful about that and never use crypto extension to your browser.
I don't trust coins and browsers. It is better to have an online wallet and do investments than trust a coin with a browser or the sort.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Aabcde

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 04:53:02 AM

The name is Multilogin
Oh my God. I just lost money when I installed this extension on my computer. All myetherwallet wallet assets were stolen
wow this is even worse. They stole it by transferring your funds.
In my case, they only cover the correct address with their address.
But when we turn off the extension, they can't do it.

Metaspins 

▄▄█████▄▄▄
     ▄▄██████████████▄
 ▄▄███████  ████  █████
▐██▀▀██████████████████▌
 ██▄▄██  ██▀▀███████████
 ▐█████████▄▄████████  █▌
  ██  ███████████████████
  ▐███████████▀▀▀███████▀
   ▀█████████▄▄▄████▀▀▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀
2,500+
GAMES

EARN UP TO 57% RAKEBACK
WAGER FREE!
         ▄███▄▄▄
    ▄███████████████▄
    ██████████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████
    ███████████████████
    ███████████████████
   █
█████████████████
  ██
█████████████
 ███
█████████████████
████
█████████████
▀▀██
████████████████
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀███▀
1 Click Registration
Instant Payouts
[
]
Freddy11

Activity: 391
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 07:15:06 AM

This is why we have to be so very careful with what we use instead of doing it blindly. I use a lot of Crypto Extensions on Chrome, but I ensure that whatever I am using is somewhat certain to be good. If we are using something that’s something we are uncertain about then we will not be able to benefit. So this is where we have to be just sensible and pick only proven and verified options, which I believe is something very much okay.
kidoseagle0312

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 07:21:28 AM

This is something that the hackers is doing everything to steal something from us. Through this browser extensions,  It is really safe that we need to install protection to our desktop pc from this things. That's why when I read here in the forum were Metamask can also be a tools to steal our coins, at once I remove the wallet I exported unto it then removed it also from chrome extension since it is not needed anymore.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:02:35 AM

The name is Multilogin
We can call it a browser extension version of the keylogger. They have a single purpose that aims to steal from us. During the transferring to the address browser extension changes the typed symbols and the old address will be replaced with the new one. Before confirming the transaction, double-checking the address and other details is necessary in order to protect our crypto holdings in such cases. Turning off the extension is not solution, a clean install of the browser and OS will be a efficient solution before any accident happens.
ganeshramk

Activity: 868
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:03:59 AM

There are lots of browser extensions coming up for each and every coin. In my experience metamask works good for ETH. Never came across anything or bitcoin yet. However we have to be extremely careful about these browser extensions.
Crypt0BHunter

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:14:34 AM

I think the just youse the vulnerability that replaces your BTC address hen your copy past it

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Aabcde

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:33:37 AM

The name is Multilogin
We can call it a browser extension version of the keylogger. They have a single purpose that aims to steal from us. During the transferring to the address browser extension changes the typed symbols and the old address will be replaced with the new one. Before confirming the transaction, double-checking the address and other details is necessary in order to protect our crypto holdings in such cases. Turning off the extension is not solution, a clean install of the browser and OS will be a efficient solution before any accident happens.

Yes, it is true. But at that time I was investigating what was making all this mess. When I turn off the multilogin, the BTC exchange address returns to normal. So the conclusion that I got at that time, the extension could not change the address when inactive. Surely after knowing that I immediately uninstalled the extension.

Metaspins 

▄▄█████▄▄▄
     ▄▄██████████████▄
 ▄▄███████  ████  █████
▐██▀▀██████████████████▌
 ██▄▄██  ██▀▀███████████
 ▐█████████▄▄████████  █▌
  ██  ███████████████████
  ▐███████████▀▀▀███████▀
   ▀█████████▄▄▄████▀▀▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀
2,500+
GAMES

EARN UP TO 57% RAKEBACK
WAGER FREE!
         ▄███▄▄▄
    ▄███████████████▄
    ██████████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████
    ███████████████████
    ███████████████████
   █
█████████████████
  ██
█████████████
 ███
█████████████████
████
█████████████
▀▀██
████████████████
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀███▀
1 Click Registration
Instant Payouts
[
]
stephanirain

Activity: 756
Merit: 257

Freshdice.com

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:40:20 AM

Its been a long time since ive knew that browser extensions are bad news and in fact they should consider red flags, you can easily get viruses on your pc or even spyware but the latest news about these so called browser extensions is they can be used to steal your coins, consider this a warning for those who use chrome and mozilla firefox browser extensions regularly. I came across the warning while surfing the internet today.

Browser extensions can help scammers steal your crypto Casa CEO Jeremy Welch warned the audience at the Baltic Honeybadger conference in Riga this weekend.

Sorry i couldn't drop link to the full news because i got the warning news from pivot news which would require you to download app before reading any news, share this warning with friends and crypto fans especially newbies

This is a new for me and I am thankful that you mention this one. My friend once told me that some "free" browser extensions have privacy issues but I never realize that it can be also use to hack crypto address. Right now, I become so wary of extensions in my browser so I remove all of them and even clear all the data to restart my browser. It's better to be safe than sorry.

░▓███▓▓▓▓▒▒          
                        ▒██▒      ▓██▓▒▒█▓▓▒      
                ░▓███▓▓▒▓▓██▓      ▒██████    
          ░▓███░      ▒█▓▒░  ▒███████████  
      ▒██▓▒░  ▒▓███▓      ▒▓▓▓█████████░  
  ░██▓        ▒▓▒░    ░▓▓▓▓▓███████▓███▓  
▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ░▒▒▓▓▓███████▓      ███  
███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████      ░███▒
▒██▒▓██████▓▓▓▓▓▓██████████  ▒█████
  ▓█    ▒██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████████▓███████
    █▓    ▒██▓▓▓█▓▓▓████████▒    ░██████▒
    ▓██▒▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓████████      ▒██████▓
      ██████▓█▓█▓█▓████████▒  ▓███████▒
       ▓███████████▓▓█████████████████
         ▓███████████▓█████░    ▓███████░
           ███████    ▓██████▓      ▓█████▓  
           ░▓█████▒    ▓██████    ▓████▓    
              ░▓████▓   ▒███████████▓      
                 ░▓█████████████▓▓▒        
                         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░            
Fresh Dice||||||Dice Now!
Neo.op

Activity: 1092
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2019, 11:23:04 AM

I do not use any extensions beside Metamask and some adblockers. I have heard that some people used some extensions and their funds were stolen after that. I think they just steal the private keys or they have some kind of keylogger in it. Do not use extensions that you do not trust guys, Metamask is a safe one that I am using so far.

LYR▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓▓████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄████▓▓▓▓████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▄▓▓███████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▄▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████▄███
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀███▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▓▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓▓██████▓▓▓▓█████
▓▓▓▓██████▄▄▄▄▄██████
▓▓▓██████████████████
▓▓███████████████████
██████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
 ██████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
██████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████
LYRA  Loyalty Rewards on Blockchain
══════════════════════[ Main Features ]══════════════════════
Customizable tokens ███NFT███ DeFi███ DEX███ Revenue share
meliodas

Activity: 742
Merit: 329

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 21, 2019, 02:57:05 PM

This is one of the reason why I decided to buy a hardware wallet. I don't trust any wallet of cryptocurrency that is purely relying on the internet like an online wallet and desktop wallet because if you are not careful enough then you might screw yourself like downloading some random extensions that can infect and steal your personal information so when it comes to personal and sensitive things, I chose to put them in a more secured place.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $| 
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
iCrypto2

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 10:01:26 AM

I do not use any extensions beside Metamask and some adblockers. I have heard that some people used some extensions and their funds were stolen after that. I think they just steal the private keys or they have some kind of keylogger in it. Do not use extensions that you do not trust guys, Metamask is a safe one that I am using so far.

I was utilising the bitcoin forum SEARCH feature then found this thread and I'm curious to ask if you're still using Metamask, if you still regard it as safe since it was mentioned on another thread (below) that it isn't anymore. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5238499.msg54171875#msg54171875  Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: