Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:49:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you want in a Alt-Coin  (Read 761 times)
acs267 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:45:11 PM

I was thinking, what would the community want most in a altcoin? Something that is possibly original?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Evilish

Activity: 882
Merit: 563

Bitcoin to the moon!

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:49:31 PM

Maybe a new algorithm?
wallstreetcoiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:53:24 PM

I was thinking, what would the community want most in a altcoin?

What about a multi-threaded, plugin capable, multi-platform java client? Like the one Goldcoin (GLD) is about to release!  Tongue
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:21:50 PM

Energy efficient way to solve the double spend problem.

10 sec confirmation time.

Send to email address.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:22:50 PM

ASIC resistant like Vertcoin.
delusiona1

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:40:51 PM

An alt coin that could be usable at merchants, and block reward voting like Heavycoin.

HVC: HAccgXrfMZdTsMZss47dAqZ82trPoeiiB7
BTC: 14SoM653x2iEEipDcHchimBfFXwbQUZ3fh
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:49:20 PM

some kind of sliding window, not an ever growing download/sync

FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:57:51 PM

high fiber and low carbs
BitCoinPokerBro

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:07:09 PM

Anonymous decentralized sex monkey game?  Lips sealed
ckoeber

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:10:59 PM

Some good ideas here; and many of these can be implemented in an existing coin.
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:14:09 PM

Maybe a new algorithm?

Like Cuckoo Cycle (https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo) ?
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:16:53 PM

At this time, I don't even want another altcoin. It seems like all the new altcoins (xx per day) is ruining the marked for existing coins.. And most of these new altcoins are just a quick dump coin.

A great altcoin should be fast, reliable, someone against quick dumps, has unique features, many options to use (in for example webshops, and not directly linked to BTC) and a strong team behind it.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:49:02 AM

i want an altoin, that acts as an reliable store of value. It doesn't need to make 1000% in 24h ... is is better if it grows at sustainable and stable rates so i don't have to check twice a day if it is dead and abandoned already after the first bubble crashed or if i got myself two more days to sell it off at only a small loss before it is then finally abandoned for the next new shit.
So right now i would buy any coin that won't be worthless in 8 weeks
It can also be an old coin brought back to life.
I would prefer some of my older coins i am still bagholding (because i didnt want to sell at a loss) would come back a bit. Would prefer that over new features of wothless new coins. I am more interested in that 'value-feature' than in chatboxes in clients.
For sure we don't need more trash that fades after only one cycle of buying, crashing and burn.
Devs should create sustainability, reliability and trust right now instead of promises and gimmicks.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:14:15 AM

1. Fast transaction times / confirmation times
2. No bloated blockchain
3. Good client that does not leak ram or require enormous ram
4. Multiple algorithms that ensure that if one breaks, another can hold it together. Ideally the algorithms should be quantum computing resistant and not follow stuff like prime numbers which might have hidden patterns / order in chaos that might be predictable.
5. Optional privacy features that are NSA-proof and Artificial-Intelligence-Analysis proof, even from AI that will be created in the next 20-30 years, which will be able to detect patterns and assemble the "puzzle" that today might not be able to be assembled.
6. Network security that is NSA-proof
7. Scarce + valuable with a good mining curve that ensures network safety and miners
8. Low inflation
9. A way to make mining, more PC-centric rather than farm centric.
10. A way to resist NSA-takeover of the network if they ever desire to develop asics for "asic-proof" coins (bitcoin is paradoxically more secure due to asics being deployed to private parties)
11. Easier transactions and friendly client - one that your grandma can use, without being afraid that her coins will be stolen or that she'll lose some, but at the same time being safe.
12. An address-shortening service (?) like tiny url for large addresses
13. An added value network within the currency network that allows people to interact through messages or voice or camera, in an encrypted/secure way, by paying the miners.
14. An AI modular interface. Currencies, up to now, are mechanistic with if/then/else. A modular currency can allow the running of it by an AI "clerk" that will process all transactions all the while ensuring all other aspects of network operation. Currently the network operation is handled by strict and "dumb" algorithms. This could change in the future by having a "mr Data" type of AI running all transactions. That AI will be neutral, but smart, in that it will be able to mitigate DOS attacks, prioritize payments, services, updates etc, protect the network from forks by sending the appropriate notifications or taking the right measures, protect the network from malicious 51% attacks and double spending - no matter the level of collusion present, make adequate adjustments in order to completely anonymize transactions or to randomize/induce chaos for preventing pattern recognition, optimize bandwidth usage or blockchain stuff, or other encrypted services running over the same network etc. It could even detect patterns of controlled nodes by one part who seeks to understand the anonymous network by controlling as many nodes as possible. To these type of nodes, the AI could send them garbage as "noise" in order to counter-them / mislead them...

* In my opinion, the next best solution to the Byzantine General problem that also eliminates the 51% threat, could be an AI solution, where a neutral "robot" (program in actuality) will be a metalayer of transaction approval - denying 51% double spending exploits. Being neutral the AI will allow everything except those things that jeopardize a coin's integrity, the network safety etc etc. We are talking about metahuman levels of intelligence here that could be possible in, say, 15-20 years.
ckoeber

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:40:37 AM

1. Fast transaction times / confirmation times
2. No bloated blockchain
3. Good client that does not leak ram or require enormous ram
4. Multiple algorithms that ensure that if one breaks, another can hold it together. Ideally the algorithms should be quantum computing resistant and not follow stuff like prime numbers which might have hidden patterns / order in chaos that might be predictable.
5. Optional privacy features that are NSA-proof and Artificial-Intelligence-Analysis proof, even from AI that will be created in the next 20-30 years, which will be able to detect patterns and assemble the "puzzle" that today might not be able to be assembled.
6. Network security that is NSA-proof
7. Scarce + valuable with a good mining curve that ensures network safety and miners
8. Low inflation
9. A way to make mining, more PC-centric rather than farm centric.
10. A way to resist NSA-takeover of the network if they ever desire to develop asics for "asic-proof" coins (bitcoin is paradoxically more secure due to asics being deployed to private parties)
11. Easier transactions and friendly client - one that your grandma can use, without being afraid that her coins will be stolen or that she'll lose some, but at the same time being safe.
12. An address-shortening service (?) like tiny url for large addresses
13. An added value network within the currency network that allows people to interact through messages or voice or camera, in an encrypted/secure way, by paying the miners.
14. An AI modular interface. Currencies, up to now, are mechanistic with if/then/else. A modular currency can allow the running of it by an AI "clerk" that will process all transactions all the while ensuring all other aspects of network operation. Currently the network operation is handled by strict and "dumb" algorithms. This could change in the future by having a "mr Data" type of AI running all transactions. That AI will be neutral, but smart, in that it will be able to mitigate DOS attacks, prioritize payments, services, updates etc, protect the network from forks by sending the appropriate notifications or taking the right measures, protect the network from malicious 51% attacks and double spending - no matter the level of collusion present, make adequate adjustments in order to completely anonymize transactions or to randomize/induce chaos for preventing pattern recognition, optimize bandwidth usage or blockchain stuff, or other encrypted services running over the same network etc. It could even detect patterns of controlled nodes by one part who seeks to understand the anonymous network by controlling as many nodes as possible. To these type of nodes, the AI could send them garbage as "noise" in order to counter-them / mislead them...

* In my opinion, the next best solution to the Byzantine General problem that also eliminates the 51% threat, could be an AI solution, where a neutral "robot" (program in actuality) will be a metalayer of transaction approval - denying 51% double spending exploits. Being neutral the AI will allow everything except those things that jeopardize a coin's integrity, the network safety etc etc. We are talking about metahuman levels of intelligence here that could be possible in, say, 15-20 years.

What a list  Grin

Many of these items are good and doable even in an existing client.

Keep it rolling folks; I have no doubt that we will start seeing some of these suggestions in alt-coins soon.
wasamata

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:42:29 AM

Simples, scrypt ASIC proof POS coin, zero premine, 2% of mining coins goes to a fund to create a business.
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:25:32 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2014, 02:42:12 AM by wasamata

Aside from the above "specifics" of the coin I think you need to think about value.
How do you add value to a coin/ currency?
You need to link it with a business, a big, reputable business.
Therefore alot of groundwork and negotiations needs to take place before launching a coin.
Lets give some examples:
PCCOIN. Used to purchase PC equipment,
MEDICOIN-pay for your surgery, GP visits etc
BDAYCOIN-used to give vouchers in any currency as a digital gift
FOODCOIN-used for your groceries.

So rather than a 1 coin fits all mentality of bitcoin for everything, create coins for niche markets with real value.
The question will then arise whats in it for the businesses?
They can sell more products!
They simply have a price tied to bitcoin for example, 1 laptop =1000 PCCOINS and 1000 PCCOINS = 1 bitcoin
1000 PC coins is then converted to bitcoin then ultimately fiat (if they have to).
if I could say to myself, hmm "I think I need a PC upgrade, I may go mine some PCCOINS", how awesome would that be!
Much better than, Oh  i think i need some doge coins but hang on, what's that for?
Or: I need a new PC, I better go get a fiat job and pay my taxes like a good boy.
trilltokill

Activity: 135

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:12:24 AM

Totally anonymous transactions. Cant be traced.
dead_bit

Activity: 65

All hope has died

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 05:20:48 AM

Totally anonymous transactions. Cant be traced.

I think that's an amazing idea...

Plus a coin that is easily used in the general market... so that I don't have to convert it to USD. Cheesy

DVC:15ejdqahc5n37GNc3a3zuZS3rmw9udMmM4
cryptoangel001

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 12:23:42 PM

1. Quick exchange times/affirmation times

2. No enlarged blockchain

3. Great customer that does not spill slam or require gigantic smash

4. Numerous calculations that guarantee that on the off chance that one breaks, another can hold it together. In a perfect world the calculations ought to be quantum figuring safe and not take after stuff like prime numbers which may have concealed examples/arrange in turmoil that may be unsurprising.

5. Discretionary protection includes that are NSA-confirmation and Artificial-Intelligence-Analysis verification, even from AI that will be made in the following 20-30 years, which will have the capacity to recognize designs and gather the "baffle" that today probably won't have the capacity to be collected.

6. System security that is NSA-evidence
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: