Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:02:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Posts about things that belong in multiple places. Should there be a way to link  (Read 157 times)
DaveF (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6316

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2019, 09:14:21 PM

So, earlier today I posted about a vulnerability in the LastPass plugin for web browsers.
I put the post in:  Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion > Wallet software
Figuring it's a good place to post about something that might matter to people who use web wallets.

OmegaStarScream pointed out that it was already being discussed in a post in Bitcoin Forum > Economy > Marketplace > Service Discussion

I think that where I have it is better, but I do see the argument for having it under service discussion.

Should there be an "approved standard" way for someone to post, a link from one board to another to say, "this is important here / but it's also important there go to this post to discuss more"

We really don't need 2 posts discussing this plugin issue, but I am sure there are people who have never ventured into the marketplace service discssion board, because in their mind it's only about buying & selling stuff.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5185746

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5185601

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 2186

CoinPoker.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2019, 09:43:36 PM

Should there be an "approved standard" way for someone to post, a link from one board to another to say, "this is important here / but it's also important there go to this post to discuss more"

I don't know about an "approved standard", but put can manually include links of similar posts to yours which is in another thread, if you feel the discussions would be more appropriate there. This would redirect those who visit your board to the other.
But as you said;
I think that where I have it is better, but I do see the argument for having it under service discussion.

You feel your post is in the more appropriate section, then this would need the other user to redirect.
I doubt the moderators would take action on this, there are usually sufficient boards to cater for different kinds of posts

Rizzrack
Copper Member

Activity: 764
Merit: 700

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2019, 09:52:19 PM

IMO there are a few ways you might "work around it" but I do not agree it fits better in web wallets in the current form. Password managers are a service (free or paid) and you wanted to discuss about them....thus Service Discussion !
You might want to try:

1. Find one more relevant topic, like B&H and move your thread from time to time back and forth (common practice from what I saw)
Most users have some subscriptions to a news website or such and have easy access to that kind of info. That's why I suggested B&H section might be a good alternative.
2. Write the post different ! If you would have written some info about "web wallets and password managers" and also mention the LastPass issue (not that it is the first or definitely not the last) somewhere in the post I think you would have been good IMHO.

Making redirection topics is pure spam and making "approved standard" is not going to help either. Who decides what is that important to leave in 2-3 topics on the forum? Even the stickies are in their own place, not spammed everywhere...

Don't take me wrong... it clearly was a decent question with 100% intent to help the community but might not work that way TBH

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: