Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:02:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NxtCoin - Forgotten pass phrase  (Read 1634 times)
nwbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 09:01:48 PM

I am very aware of what a secure idea it is to use pass phrases, but when you can't quite get yours right, and have 5000 Nxtcoins locked in your phone - what do you do?

is there any way to find the private key and convert it back to the secret phrase - so I can write it down?

Its the Android wallet, but not sure what version, but guess its auto updated to the latest one!

Don't need any told you so responses - just some practical advice! ;-)

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nwbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 09:26:39 AM

bump! Wink

*Image Removed*
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:56:32 AM

I am very aware of what a secure idea it is to use pass phrases, but when you can't quite get yours right, and have 5000 Nxtcoins locked in your phone - what do you do?

is there any way to find the private key and convert it back to the secret phrase - so I can write it down?

Hi nwbitcoin, sorry -- your passphrase is your private key. If you lost it, there is no way to access your account.
nwbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 11:18:46 AM

is the phrase stored somewhere where I can see it and maybe work out an element of the unencrypted phrase?

As I have a good idea of the phrase, but dont know the exact words, so was hoping to get a hint!

*Image Removed*
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:18:21 PM

You should write down everything you THINK you know about the phrase or words, and anything that comes into mind in future, as possible keywords. At some point you can get a programmer or find a program to run a script to try all the possible combinations and variants.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:21:27 PM

is the phrase stored somewhere where I can see it and maybe work out an element of the unencrypted phrase?

No it's not stored in most NXT clients. The official browser based NXT client is a brain wallet client, it doesn't have a wallet file.

However, if you want a client with a wallet, just like Bitcoin, you can use the Offspring client, see the first post in the NXT thread to find the link. The Offspring client is designed to be just like bitcoin's client, to have a wallet file, that you can back up.
nwbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 11:37:35 PM

No it's not stored in most NXT clients. The official browser based NXT client is a brain wallet client, it doesn't have a wallet file.

However, if you want a client with a wallet, just like Bitcoin, you can use the Offspring client, see the first post in the NXT thread to find the link. The Offspring client is designed to be just like bitcoin's client, to have a wallet file, that you can back up.

Thanks - at least I now understand how Nxtcoin wallets work! Sad

*Image Removed*
IveBeenBit

Activity: 449

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:49:12 PM

You should write down everything you THINK you know about the phrase or words, and anything that comes into mind in future, as possible keywords. At some point you can get a programmer or find a program to run a script to try all the possible combinations and variants.

Do this. There are people that do this with bitcoin wallets now. It's only a matter of time until they offer these services for Nxt, assuming Nxt itself doesn't die on the vine.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 02:08:52 AM

+1. I think nxt will be worth a lot someday. If you know most of the password the rest can be brute forced by a good hacker. Right now, I'd just consider the money locked away as a long term investment.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: