Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:16:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Centralized And Decentralized Cloud Storage.  (Read 179 times)
bobelr (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 01:02:57 PM
Merited by tk808 (2)

Unlike before, where cloud storage (dropbox) seems cheaper as compared to using local storage host, research has shown the cost of operating or using cloud storage service is alarming coupled with the fact that is highly prone to breaching users' privacy. It is centralized in nature as users uploads their data into cloud, it goes somewhere, which is a centralized server with an administrator. From there, it is sent to a data center. Such data center may be compromised or affected by several factors such as human interference, acts of God etc hence is quite unsafe.

Moreover, an administrator is a human who can be corrupted. They can decide to monetize users data. Decentralized means of storage erupted as solution to the problems posed by the former. Big data management and machine learning computing has never been better with the existing centralised form of data storage until advent of DxChain. Before now, the need for data storage, access, retrieval and sharing have magnanimously bred the need for cloud form of storage. The use of Dropbox encourages centralizetion since there is a server where data are assembled and are replicated for use by the administrators. Also, in the event of hack, all data are exposed. This poses serious threat to users' data and privacy.

Usage of Dropbox has proven to be effective to an extent until the need for freedom of control and safety arose. Technically, employing the use of Dropbox as a form of storage predisposes the subject to several threats ranging from security breach to loss of complete control over one's own data. DxChain introduces a decentralized form of data storage through its native App called DxBox which is aimed at eliminating centralized authority hence restoring users' privacy plus easy retrieval and sharing of data at users' convenience.This exactly is what DxchainNetwork considered which led to the birth of DXBOX - a decentralized application for cloud storage service. More details below:
https://blog.dxchain.com/why-dxbox-over-other-traditional-client-server-model-other-data-storage-solutions/[/b]]https://blog.dxchain.com/why-dxbox-over-other-traditional-client-server-model-other-data-storage-solutions/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tranduong123
Copper Member

Activity: 714
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 02:10:54 PM

I have learned a number of decentralized storage projects, all of which introduce their technology as the future and will replace existing cloud storage systems. They raise current system issues like your post. But no projects have been so successful at the moment. I think it will take a very long time before a decentralized storage system can compete with existing systems.
bobelr (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 06:02:18 PM

I am taken by your assumption. although i have also seen just the same way you have, i'm yet to conclude of their inability to implement what they propose as improvement over existing storage services. I was caught by Dxchain's whitepaper standard and the team of persons behind it. More so, the team has been up lately to implement plannings. I have seen that in the release of testnet 3.0 and update to the storage system and architecture even with Dxbox. As mainnet approaches, I am quite positive things will work out fine.
crazy-pilot

Activity: 861
Merit: 253

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 07:34:55 PM

I have seen many projects that offer their own solution to the problem of cloud storage, but I have not found among them any good option for me. The community is not yet ready to accept decentralized cloud storage.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
disconnectme

Activity: 1876
Merit: 512

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 07:53:22 PM

It all depend on the user, both Decentralized and Centralized cloud storage. The issue with Decentralized cloud storage is their up-time link unlike Centralized. Just look at all the projects in the space that are into Cloud storage and how they have fared, Storj, SIA, Golem, SONM etc they are finding it difficult to gain traction

█ ▀  ▄
  ▄ █  █▌ 
▄    █
        ███
                  ▀▀▀▀▀██
         ███          ███
      ███     【】     ███
   ███   【】【】   ███
██▀           █  █         ▀██         
█▄          █  █        ▄██
   ███       █  █     ███
      ███   █  ███ 
         ███    █    ███
            ███   ███

.T o o l K i t z A I .Break The Barrier.

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

███████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRY DEMO
███████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

▄▄████
                 ▄▄████████▌
           ▄▄█████████▀███
     ▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀    ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀     ▄███████▌
      ██     ▄█████████
       █   ▄██████████▌
       █   ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
bobelr (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2019, 12:30:32 PM

I have seen many projects that offer their own solution to the problem of cloud storage, but I have not found among them any good option for me. The community is not yet ready to accept decentralized cloud storage.

If I must agree with you, why do you think the community isn't ready to accept decentralization where in fact the majority would choose decentralization over its counterpart?
bobelr (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2019, 12:36:38 PM

It all depend on the user, both Decentralized and Centralized cloud storage. The issue with Decentralized cloud storage is their up-time link unlike Centralized. Just look at all the projects in the space that are into Cloud storage and how they have fared, Storj, SIA, Golem, SONM etc they are finding it difficult to gain traction

My conclusion here is that centralized entity seems to get things done faster than in the decentralized world. But then, i checked with few of the project you listed up there sir, they actually lagging behind in implementation of plannings in contrast to what Dxchain has done lately. I want to hold more facts about this.
ansi

Activity: 882
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 12:52:07 PM

Unfortunately some projects claim this niche of " Decentralized Storage " which is kind stupid, there is nothing called Decentralized when it come to storage.
A storage is Centralized no matter what these projects keep calling it " Decentralized ". The servers are located in this & that country / area /... You got the point.

I think some project are using the work / niche " Decentralized  " just to take their part of the BlockChain industry while they can't make " Decentralized  " as they claim (kinda impossible).

Some niches aren't meant to be " Decentralized " (can't be Decentralized), people should be aware of this by now.
bobelr (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2019, 07:09:23 AM

Unfortunately some projects claim this niche of " Decentralized Storage " which is kind stupid, there is nothing called Decentralized when it come to storage.
A storage is Centralized no matter what these projects keep calling it " Decentralized ". The servers are located in this & that country / area /... You got the point.

I think some project are using the work / niche " Decentralized  " just to take their part of the BlockChain industry while they can't make " Decentralized  " as they claim (kinda impossible).

Some niches aren't meant to be " Decentralized " (can't be Decentralized), people should be aware of this by now.

Sir, I think you got it wrong here. If you read a bit about how Dxchain storage network works, you'll found out it is far different from the centralized entity. In centralized entity, your data is uploaded into a central server which mean, an administrator can access and do anything with it but in decentralized just like Dxchain does, it uses blockchain architecture and protocol (i.e an immutable distributed ledger storage) to store your data. An instance where you upload a file, it is rendered data in an encrypted format for the storage provider hence making impossible to retrieve the original data file. Reading this article will help https://blog.dxchain.com/dxbox-blockchain-based-web-application-for-secure-data-storage/
ansi

Activity: 882
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 28, 2019, 01:14:31 PM

I know what you mean, you're talking about Encrypting your data through the Blockchain technology which is great thing actually, while i'm talking about how Storage (as location)can't be decentralized in any mean.

Meaning, the servers are located in this or that country/place... That's what i mean by " it can't be decentralized ".
DIYTube
Copper Member

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

Get Paid For Video Views And Comments

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2019, 03:01:31 PM

Long long ago I was using torrent to share files back and forth among people around the entire globe. If you wanted to join in and share movies or music, you had to volunteer to share some of the data yourself.

I remember the program grabbing bits and pieces of a movie file from many sources at one time until you had the entire movie on your hard drive.

This was certainly decentralized. The software ran on volunteer computers and did its job.

DIY Tube Video Community
bobelr (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2019, 07:39:42 PM

I know what you mean, you're talking about Encrypting your data through the Blockchain technology which is great thing actually, while i'm talking about how Storage (as location)can't be decentralized in any mean.

Meaning, the servers are located in this or that country/place... That's what i mean by " it can't be decentralized ".

Yes you're right about the location of the server location but the configuration and protocol employed is what matters. The protocol used by the project in question was done to an extent that each connected node or computer (acting as storage provider ) to the system has only a part of the uploaded file of the client. The file is broken into chunks dispersed among the nodes and the server itself does not have the knowledge of the full existence of the file but the client computer only which is retrievable through an encrypted key provided to the client and stays only on his machine. Few of the chunks is needed to retrieve the full file. More information available here https://blog.dxchain.com/why-dxbox-over-other-traditional-client-server-model-other-data-storage-solutions/
Eugenar

Activity: 1274
Merit: 278

View Profile
October 02, 2019, 02:12:37 PM

Well, Technically speaking, one of the major problems that a cloud storage can have is the poor security. If you are to allow your personal data to be stored on the cloud, you simply taken away your privacy. Another thing is the internet connection that every user around the world has. In order to choose between centralized and decentralized cloud storage, we must first take a look and find a solution to make the cloud storage even better, faster, and secured. Then we can decide whether to choose centralized or decentralized cloud storage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: