Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:43:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin account format spec?  (Read 1396 times)
Alex Beckenham (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 03:28:36 PM

Sorry I couldn't find this anywhere...

Are there any specific rules about how you can name an account? eg. Does it have to be alphanumeric, can it contain spaces, etc... how long can it be?

This API Calls List doesn't mention anything about it:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list

Also the 'Full list' on that page doesn't include the listaccounts() function... is that function new or is this just an oversight?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 03:35:46 PM

Sorry I couldn't find this anywhere...

Are there any specific rules about how you can name an account? eg. Does it have to be alphanumeric, can it contain spaces, etc... how long can it be?

This API Calls List doesn't mention anything about it:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list

Also the 'Full list' on that page doesn't include the listaccounts() function... is that function new or is this just an oversight?

Probably the best way to find out would be to check the source code (search github for "listaccounts", and I'll do that once I get home, if you haven't beaten me to it!) However, in the meantime I can tell you that I've got account names with spaces, hyphens and periods as well as alphanumeric chars. None of my account names are that long - longest is 23 chars.

This space intentionally left blank.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12977

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 03:40:12 PM

I don't think there's any restriction except that "*" is reserved.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 03:44:52 PM

Probably the best way to find out would be to check the source code (search github for "listaccounts", and I'll do that once I get home, if you haven't beaten me to it!) However, in the meantime I can tell you that I've got account names with spaces, hyphens and periods as well as alphanumeric chars. None of my account names are that long - longest is 23 chars.

Cheers. I haven't touched C++ for years so I'm not the best person to check, but I couldn't see anything that restricts it.

I did however find something else very interesting while I was there... the 'vanity' param Smiley

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 03:57:56 PM

I did however find something else very interesting while I was there... the 'vanity' param Smiley

That's not part of the official API, that's just a fun hack I made one day on a whim.

The technical information in the wiki needs more attention and polish; if you have time and are a decent writer, please jump in and help out.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 04:18:55 PM

That's not part of the official API, that's just a fun hack I made one day on a whim.
The technical information in the wiki needs more attention and polish; if you have time and are a decent writer, please jump in and help out.

You're right about it being something 'fun'; After thinking about it for a bit I realised I probably won't use it. But it's cool none-the-less.

I would gladly help with docs, etc. as I usually have a keen eye for proof-reading, however being so new to Bitcoin I'm not confident enough yet to edit technical docs in case the anomaly is there for a reason!  Embarrassed

Hal
VIP
expert

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 08:14:14 PM

Look at my sig, Bitcoin address with my name in it courtesy of Gavin's vanity patch.

Hal Finney
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: