Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 07:09:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MINING with both GPU and the CPU on the same PC. DUAL MINING!!!  (Read 403 times)
Kodaman (OP)

Activity: 189
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:39:39 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

With the release of Randomx Algo the CPU mining will be worth it again and lots of coins will use Randomx.
I wonder if it will be possible to mine anohter profitable coin with GPUS and Randomx with our CPU on the same PC.

What will be the windows settings?

What will be the requirements of phsical RAM and Virtual RAM?

Please share your thoughts as this will be very interesting for the miners for extra income because every CPU and the PC already runs when mining with GPUS so with a little more electric cost it will be extra profit from CPUS hopefully...
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:56:58 AM

With the release of Randomx Algo the CPU mining will be worth it again and lots of coins will use Randomx.
I wonder if it will be possible to mine anohter profitable coin with GPUS and Randomx with our CPU on the same PC.

Yes it is possible, by running two different instances ( CPU mining and GPU mining)

However, profitability is the issue, depending on your current Electricity cost if its worth it.

specify or allocate resources for your windows system on CPU in order to not freeze

What will be the requirements of phsical RAM and Virtual RAM?

Please share your thoughts as this will be very interesting for the miners for extra income because every CPU and the PC already runs when mining with GPUS so with a little more electric cost it will be extra profit from CPUS hopefully...

Depending on the number of GPU's

4GB should be fine at 5GPU's

Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 10:02:04 AM

Yes it is possible, by running two different instances ( CPU mining and GPU mining)

However, profitability is the issue, depending on your current Electricity cost if its worth it.

specify or allocate resources for your windows system on CPU in order to not freeze

How to specify or allocate resoruces? Will it be inside windows settings if yes then how?
or will it be from the CPU miner settings?
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 10:27:37 AM

How to specify or allocate resoruces? Will it be inside windows settings if yes then how?

Most mining app has a capability to specify how much/many cpu cores to be used

if not, then this link can help

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/designate-cpu-usage-45952.html
Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 11:43:11 AM

Most mining app has a capability to specify how much/many cpu cores to be used

if not, then this link can help

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/designate-cpu-usage-45952.html
Thanks for the help i really appreciate it...
TheWolf666

Activity: 615
Merit: 154

CEO of Metaisland.gg and W.O.K Corp

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2019, 11:50:32 AM

Just run cpuminer in one instance, and gpuminer in another instance.

You might have your desktop become too hot and reboot or shut down, so adjust the number of CPU or GPU cores or put the computer in an ice cold environment.

ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 12:00:28 PM

well, I used to do before, I mean I started cpu miner for some cryptonight coins on my amd x8 core and within few seconds started 4 x rx570 8GB gpus on the same computer
those four cards were mining same coin as cpu.. and there were no issues! different miners, but hashrate was juts summarised on the pool side.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 12:08:54 PM

CPU mining on a dedicated GPU rig (more GPUs than CPU cores) is not advised.
Although GPU mining hardly uses any CPU you still want the CPU to be responsive
whenever it's needed.

Whatever, test it and see how much CPU mining affects GPU mining  performance.
Different algos mined on the CPU will have a different impact on GPU performance.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 12:45:10 PM

whenever it's needed.

Different algos mined on the CPU will have a different impact on GPU performance.

I mine with every cpu in my gpu rigs (6 - 13 GPU rigs). No impact on GPU mining speed. Some rigs has a celeron g3900 or g1840 in it and i mine on all cores with no impact.

Another rig has 1 GPU instance, 1 CPU instance and 5 HDD miner running, no impact  Wink
Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 02:58:27 PM

whenever it's needed.

I mine with every cpu in my gpu rigs (6 - 13 GPU rigs). No impact on GPU mining speed. Some rigs has a celeron g3900 or g1840 in it and i mine on all cores with no impact.

Another rig has 1 GPU instance, 1 CPU instance and 5 HDD miner running, no impact  Wink
Please give me your step by step settings. This sounds really interesting Smiley
Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Really hiqh quality posts are coming and it is great.
I personally think dual mining from cpu and gpu will be the future of mining. More pysical ram, more virtual memory from SSDs and higher core CPUs can make it more stable and may squeeze more hash but it all needs testing.
joblo
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 03:32:21 PM

Sure it can be done but it's dependent on task scheduling. Anytime a GPU miner's CPU thread has to wait
is dead time that reduces the effective hash rate. Running the CPU miner at a lower priority will usually
eliminate any scheduling latency for the GPU.

jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2019, 03:32:42 PM

Sorry but it seems like topic starter is just spamming. As mentioned by everyone else already, it is possible to mine with both CPU and GPU at the same time, but theres not much profit in it. All of your questions have already been answered on google.

Please do your research before dragging along with this thread, if possible, please.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
joblo
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 03:45:52 PM

Sorry but it seems like topic starter is just spamming.

I disagree. Dual mining is not discussed that much. It's a wothwhile topic. The spammers are the ones that
only criticize the idea as a waste of time.

joblo
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 03:47:34 PM

I personally think dual mining from cpu and gpu will be the future of mining.

With ASICs and FPGAs taking over more and more algos I'm not so sure.

Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:25:44 PM

Sorry but it seems like topic starter is just spamming.

I disagree. Dual mining is not discussed that much. It's a wothwhile topic. The spammers are the ones that
only criticize the idea as a waste of time.
i agree with you 100%...
Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:31:03 PM

Well i think that is why CPU mining will be interesting with especially high core CPUS because of the ASICS and FPGAS are trying to take over.
Randomx is the first breed of those kind of algorithms. There are much more GPU rigs out there than ASICS and FPGAS. They all have a CPU too so lets hope those CPUS will worth something.
Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:33:45 PM

I don't want to open another thread because i am afraid jmigdlc99 will get jealous but how feasible is it to mine Randomx like CPU favored algos with VPS?
There are tons of masternodes using VPS for their nodes. Can they mine with those too?
Thanks for the answers...
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 28, 2019, 06:26:03 AM

Well i think that is why CPU mining will be interesting with especially high core CPUS because of the ASICS and FPGAS are trying to take over.
Randomx is the first breed of those kind of algorithms. There are much more GPU rigs out there than ASICS and FPGAS. They all have a CPU too so lets hope those CPUS will worth something.

the first one with similar algo was raven coin, as far as I remember. then there were pigen coin... and then new version of that algo (x16r)
but as far as I know asic's manufacturer has already developed the asic for x16r.. it took about a year or so...
so I guess with this new algo the situation will like wise... we will see new asics capable to mine this algo and the cpu and gpus will be out..
Kodaman (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2019, 12:08:26 PM

the first one with similar algo was raven coin, as far as I remember. then there were pigen coin... and then new version of that algo (x16r)
but as far as I know asic's manufacturer has already developed the asic for x16r.. it took about a year or so...
so I guess with this new algo the situation will like wise... we will see new asics capable to mine this algo and the cpu and gpus will be out..
It is a Cat and Mouse game. We are not going to sell our GPUS just because they will have ASICS and FPGAS, there will always be new algos and dynamic active projects will switch to those algos imho.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: