Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:33:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RandomX Intel CPU mining performance | benchmarks mining Monero  (Read 556 times)
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 404
Merit: 57

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2019, 08:26:31 PM

So i have been starting to test some hardware for RandomX. What i think i will be doing is upgrading my current rigs with high end CPUs. And do dual mining, mine ethereum with graphic cards and monero with CPU for example with the same mining rig. Think this would be the most optimal way, to not spend any more money on new hardware, just the CPU. Only problem i face is that, by benchmark testing https://randomx.monerobenchmarks.info/ . Ryzen latest CPUs seems to be most efficient when it comes down to RandomX mining. But most of my mining rigs are built on Intel boards. I have couple ideas what i think i will implement in my next tutorials.

But in this i want to go trough some Intel CPUs and see what are the benchmarks. The only thing i forgot measure the power usage in mining process. But this is not a big deal, you can look up CPU power usage by its maximum performance. Also in testing i didn’t use any OC on CPUs, all of them are stock. I have been testing these CPU on hiveOS, where you can launch multiple miners simultaneously. And this allows me to easy mine different coins with same hardware from one rig.

1.Intel Celeron G3900 , it is one of the cheapest CPU what im using for most on my mining rig builds.This CPU retail price is about 40€. Performance/benchmark – 450 h/s. Which is about the same as one RX 570 on new RandomX mining Algorithm.

2. Intel Pentium G4400 , also one of the low end CPU from Intel. This CPU retail price is about 50€.  Performance/benchmark – 725 h/s. Which is equivalent about the same as two RX 570 on new RandomX mining Algorithm.

3. Intel i5 7600. This CPU retail price is about 280€ . Performance/benchmark – 1.63 kh/s. Which is equivalent about the same as two Vega 56 on new RandomX mining Algorithm.

4. Intel i7 8700k. This CPU retail price is about 450€ . Performance/benchmark – 2.36 kh/s. Which is equivalent about the same as 4 Vega 56 on new RandomX mining Algorithm.

Some people are claiming Intel i7 8700k overclocked can reach 3.5-4 kh/s. Which is a great performance for one CPU if you are comparing it to Graphic cards. But if you are using lates Ryzen 3800 or 3900 series cpu the performance is even better. Some  Ryzen 9 3900 overclocked reaching 14 big fat kh/s , which is a monster RandomX mining CPU in terms of price per hash and hash per watt. I have Some Ryzen CPUs on the way and will do some testing also, so subscribe it to not miss it.

It will be interesting to see what RandomX will do to Monero hashrate. In my opinion it will be higher as it is in a first week of algorithm switch as the CPU are much more efficient as gpu for it.

Checkout video review : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7omhFHTS0

thefix
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 07:51:40 AM

Thanks for the information and the video, its going to be an exciting time for cpu miners or for regular miners with a decent cpu in their mining rig. I have a Ryzen 1700 that is getting around 4.0 kh/s but I am sure the results could be better with some optimization. I am going to have to test out an i5 6400t and a threadripper 1950x to see what kind of results I can get with those.
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 08:43:03 AM

Thanks for the information and the video, its going to be an exciting time for cpu miners or for regular miners with a decent cpu in their mining rig. I have a Ryzen 1700 that is getting around 4.0 kh/s but I am sure the results could be better with some optimization. I am going to have to test out an i5 6400t and a threadripper 1950x to see what kind of results I can get with those.

Yes looking forward whats is going to happen with Monero, hope it doesn't get flooded with malware miners. hreadripper 1950x  seems to have good performance, amd outperforming Intel on this algorithm. Not often you see this ...ha
#flippening

thefix
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 10:03:52 AM

Yes looking forward whats is going to happen with Monero, hope it doesn't get flooded with malware miners. hreadripper 1950x  seems to have good performance, amd outperforming Intel on this algorithm. Not often you see this ...ha
#flippening

What is going to be really interesting is the Threadripper 3000 processors when they get released although they probably wont be a very cost effective choice. I have a feeling they are going to kill it in the cpu mining arena with large cache sizes and better use of board memory speeds. I know that quad and dual channel memory speeds can have an impact on some of the cpu mining algos.
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 11:45:18 AM

Lets hope we have some minining dual cpu boards soon for these.

N0pr3s3n7

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 11:55:33 AM

when is this fork(update of POW) scheduled for ? 18th of October ?
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 12:08:34 PM

Not a direct comment at the OP, but most people posting are ignoring the cost of electricity. I realize that someone who mines on one or two PCs either doesn’t care or doesn’t pay (thanks Mom, if you only knew).

That said, right now mining any RandomX coins has very little profit. I’m still hashing away at 60KH/s, making a couple dollars a day if I’m lucky.

Example...

3700x system getting 8150 H/s @ 126 watts (whole system, at the wall). Where I live, that is $0.40 per day on power and I’ll make (as of today) $0.61 on Loki. So, $0.21 per day profit! I can by a coffee a week.

Just hoping the first few weeks after the Monero fork are much more profitable so I can break even, good news is that if I’m not I can still sell this stuff. At this rate, 2700 days to break even. Not complaining. I love this shit.
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 02:53:23 PM

when is this fork(update of POW) scheduled for ? 18th of October ?

It is scheduled for 30th November

mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 02:57:20 PM

Not a direct comment at the OP, but most people posting are ignoring the cost of electricity. I realize that someone who mines on one or two PCs either doesn’t care or doesn’t pay (thanks Mom, if you only knew).

That said, right now mining any RandomX coins has very little profit. I’m still hashing away at 60KH/s, making a couple dollars a day if I’m lucky.

Example...

3700x system getting 8150 H/s @ 126 watts (whole system, at the wall). Where I live, that is $0.40 per day on power and I’ll make (as of today) $0.61 on Loki. So, $0.21 per day profit! I can by a coffee a week.

Just hoping the first few weeks after the Monero fork are much more profitable so I can break even, good news is that if I’m not I can still sell this stuff. At this rate, 2700 days to break even. Not complaining. I love this shit.

All the rest Randomx is quite small cap coins, so it is hard to compare. Might be people already preparing and bought bunch of CPU for testing it.
But you are right profit is just not there now, nearly in any GPU/CPU minable coins.
I love this shit also Smiley so i keep looking for options to stay profitable in mining.

thefix
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 09:52:17 AM

Example...

One option many people do not think about is solar power, with the prices getting to be very affordable they even have systems that do not require inspections and install by just plunging into your AC socket. You wont be able to power things full time without batteries, so its more of a way to drop your average cost over time.

Nothing like solar mining
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 10:44:42 AM

Example...

One option many people do not think about is solar power, with the prices getting to be very affordable they even have systems that do not require inspections and install by just plunging into your AC socket. You wont be able to power things full time without batteries, so its more of a way to drop your average cost over time.

Batteries for storing power could be quite expensive. Is there a way to overproduce the power and let trough grid and in night time take back when needed?

thefix
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 12:36:31 PM

Example...

Batteries for storing power could be quite expensive. Is there a way to overproduce the power and let trough grid and in night time take back when needed?

If you go with a grid tied system you can bank unused power but that requires inspections and a greater amount of time to get setup. Right now you are better off buying more solar panels over batteries and just banking your excess power. The other option is buying a system that has no need for inspections to setup and just offsetting your energy costs during the day.
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2019, 09:21:12 AM

If you go with a grid tied system you can bank unused power but that requires inspections and a greater amount of time to get setup. Right now you are better off buying more solar panels over batteries and just banking your excess power. The other option is buying a system that has no need for inspections to setup and just offsetting your energy costs during the day.

Lately been gathering a lot of information about Solar energy, and it seems very interesting topping for mining. Seems like the solar energy has got very advance , in compare it was few years ago.

ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 07, 2019, 09:49:44 AM

Example...

if we see the plain figures, the situation look grim.. what is 21 cents margin.. only a coffee per week, that is all. but if you check that margin in a % way, that becomes more and more interesting
you are earning 50% per day profit from your expenses.. where on Earth is another such profitable business?  Huh Roll Eyes
agente

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2019, 12:14:03 PM

if we see the plain figures, the situation look grim.. what is 21 cents margin.. only a coffee per week, that is all. but if you check that margin in a % way, that becomes more and more interesting
you are earning 50% per day profit from your expenses.. where on Earth is another such profitable business?  Huh Roll Eyes

doesn't make sense  Roll Eyes
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 09:42:15 AM

Well gpus can't compete according to this, now the thing everyone needs is an easy way to scale CPUs for mining. I for one hope for some CPU card style thing to come out and work.

In my opinion if you are mining with GPUs and still want to support Monero , just upgrade CPU and mine with GPU some other coin. Also Motherboard manufacturers could manufacturer some mining multi CPU board Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: