Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:28:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon 3 release countdown  (Read 5594 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 02:58:19 AM

T-minus 21 hours as of posting

http://avalon-asics.com/

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:49:35 AM

Woo, everyone can be excited to not buy them  Wink
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:15:35 AM

I got burned by Bitsyncom once before. Not again. I'm sticking with reliable vendors like Bitmain.

Buy & Hold
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:31:27 AM

The AntMiner Solution uses a BM1380 hashing chip, which has been developed privately over the past 7 months by Bitmain. Bitmain team has been working on it day and night; some of our engineers got sick several times due to overwork. We combined the wisdom of a mature IC design process with several innovative or even aggressive power saving techniques.

Process Node: 55nm
Package Type: QFN56
Packaged Chip Size: 8 mm x 8 mm
Number of Cores: 8
Die size: 12 mm^2

Core Voltage: 0.75V
Core Frequency:196 MHz
Hash Rate: 1.568 GH/s
Power Consumption: 0.68 J/GH (chip level)

Avalon Gen 3
40nm, 7GH/s per chip, 5Watts, 0.775Watts per Gh/s

Avalon Gen 3 offer no improvement against the competition, only a die shrink.

Fireblade

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:14:40 AM

The AntMiner Solution uses a BM1380 hashing chip, which has been developed privately over the past 7 months by Bitmain. Bitmain team has been working on it day and night; some of our engineers got sick several times due to overwork. We combined the wisdom of a mature IC design process with several innovative or even aggressive power saving techniques.

Avalon Gen 3

For youre information, the antminer s1 has a total of 64 chips, rated @ 2.81GH/s per chip. The power consumption at that level is 360w, so 2w/Ghs. The givin power consumption of the Bitmain chip is achief at lower clocks.

So yes, this chip is a improvement compared to the Bitmain chip.

Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:53:11 AM

Avalon Gen 3

For youre information, the antminer s1 has a total of 64 chips, rated @ 2.81GH/s per chip. The power consumption at that level is 360w, so 2w/Ghs. The givin power consumption of the Bitmain chip is achief at lower clocks.

So yes, this chip is a improvement compared to the Bitmain chip.

At chip level the answer is a NO.
The Antminer S1 use 64 chip which are overclocked, the antminer U1 use the standaard clock of the chip design.
The Antminer S2 use the same chip, but is underclock to make it more powerefficient.

QuiveringGibbage

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 10:08:34 AM

i only know how to eat chips with salsa.. Wink waiting for complete mining h/w, who's making h/w with Gen3 chips?

Cheers,
QG

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink
San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:28:38 AM

I wonder if they'll beat bitmain in price. Otherwise, why would you bother?

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
joeventura

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:52:05 AM

Where do I get on line NOT to buy them??
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:47:26 PM

I guess you are already at the head of that line Smiley

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:58:17 PM

Avalon gets less credit than they deserve tbh, yes they fucked up on B3 and chip delivery times but when shipping from stock they have been to my knowledge just about as reliable as Bitmaintech.

In retrospect, how many of the companies taking pre-orders actually delivered on time? Even KNC had 1-2 week delay from initial estimated delivery window. They are also one of/THE ONLY? company to offer full refund in BTC ever on a large scale?

You can bash them all you want but I myself put them just below Bitmaintech in reliability when it comes to shipping "in stock" items simply due my personal experiences with them.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:03:05 PM

I guess you are already at the head of that line Smiley

NO, I'm at the front of the line! I've been camping out here since July!

Glad to see our Bitcoins are being put to good use! (joke)

I hope they enjoyed the 350 BTC that we lost by buying their equipment. Roll Eyes

(~350 BTC lost just from my group buy only... no telling how much BTC was lost by all Batch 3 Avalon buyers. The number would probably be staggering considering we only ordered 7 Avalons.)
rograz

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:10:10 PM

(~350 BTC lost just from my group buy only... no telling how much BTC was lost by all Batch 3 Avalon buyers. The number would probably be staggering.)

Ye if only they had offered a full BTC refund to those who wanted out, if only  Roll Eyes
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:12:43 PM

(~350 BTC lost just from my group buy only... no telling how much BTC was lost by all Batch 3 Avalon buyers. The number would probably be staggering.)

Ye if only they had offered a full BTC refund to those who wanted out, if only  Roll Eyes

"For one week only we will give full BTC refunds."

<HURRY MAKE UP YOUR MIND.>

<One week passed>

And... it's gone.

<Avalon delays one more month more with no refunds allowed>
rograz

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:28:45 PM

So when they were already delayed by months one week wasn't enough for you to make up your mind? You thought you could still make a profit from B3 and hence didn't cancel, don't blame your choice to gamble on someone else, there was a way out and you decided not to take it.

Also it was more like 2-3 weeks from the end of the "refund request" window close that the first B3 units started showing up. I was very late in B3 and my miner showed up about 3.5 weeks after the final refund request date.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:46:43 PM

So when they were already delayed by months one week wasn't enough for you to make up your mind? You thought you could still make a profit from B3 and hence didn't cancel, don't blame your choice to gamble on someone else, there was a way out and you decided not to take it.

Also it was more like 2-3 weeks from the end of the "refund request" window close that the first B3 units started showing up. I was very late in B3 and my miner showed up about 3.5 weeks after the final refund request date.

"Also it was more like 2-3 weeks from the end of the "refund request" window close that the first B3 units started showing up."

Um... 2-3 weeks for the first units to arrive.. so for most people it was 3 or 3+ weeks for their units to arrive. That would be considered about a month in my book.

You are right, we decided that we may still make our BTC back at that point. But the damage was done already... even if we got a full BTC refund. There was no way out of the year-long lease I signed. There was no getting my money out of the commercial A/C I purchased as its used value was less than half of what I bought it for. There was no way out of the three to four months rent and bills I paid while waiting. Many others that were running large farms probably ran into the same scenario costing them thousands too.

A lot of people put up a lot of money and planning based on Batch 3 and their chips being shipped on time. You seem to be focused on Batch 3, but a lot of people lost a lot of money due to the chip debacle as well. Many PCBs designed and many components ordered, many warehouses/commercial properties leased, many HVAC solutions purchased, many engineers paid to design PCBs, many etc.... just to be fucked by Avalon delays.

Although Avalon might of played it right by you, it's not very hard to see why others would not be as happy with them.
rograz

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:00:09 PM

Although Avalon might of played it right by you, it's not very hard to see why others would not be as happy with them.

Not saying we should be happy with them, just that they are far from being the worst company out there but still they seem to have some of the most rabid haters around, they even rival BFL on that front  Wink

I just wanted to get my point across that when it comes to buying from their in stock items there isn't really much risk from my experience since they have a good track record on that side of their business that gets drowned in all the old "pre-order hate" noise.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:14:00 PM

Avalon has moved to an in stock only model now, and Yifu isn't a part of the team any more. The people who are left are the engineers who made the magic happen back in 2013 and do NOT have money. Yifu walked away with it, yet the engineers trying to run a real business get the flak from his actions.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:25:03 PM

Not saying we should be happy with them, just that they are far from being the worst company out there but still they seem to have some of the most rabid haters around, they even rival BFL on that front  Wink

I just wanted to get my point across that when it comes to buying from their in stock items there isn't really much risk from my experience since they have a good track record on that side of their business that gets drowned in all the old "pre-order hate" noise.

Ok, I get what you're saying.

Avalon has moved to an in stock only model now, and Yifu isn't a part of the team any more. The people who are left are the engineers who made the magic happen back in 2013 and do NOT have money. Yifu walked away with it, yet the engineers trying to run a real business get the flak from his actions.

I'm not so sure about that, I think that was done just to save face. This is just conjecture, but it is pretty damning evidence IMO:

Yifu owns BitSyncom, LLC. At the bottom of Avalon-asics.com (after being updated numerous times since Yifu's supposed dismissal) is a copyright notice:   

Copyright © 2012 - 2014 Avalon Project, BitSyncom LLC

Copyrighted for BitSyncom LLC through the year 2014. The year was updated to 2014. If BitSyncom is truly not involved with the project anymore then why is his company still listed in the Copyright? They updated the year but not the company name? Wouldn't they want to distance themselves from Yifu as much as they can?

The only reason I can see for keeping the copyright information under BitSyncom LLC is if Yifu is still involved with Avalon.

If he had truly left and it was under different hands I would expect it to read:

Copyright © 2012 - 2014 Avalon Project, Some other company here

or

Copyright © 2012 - 2013 Avalon Project, BitSyncom LLC
Copyright © 2013 - 2014 Avalon Project, Some other company here

Again, this website has been updated numerous times since Yifu supposedly left the company.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Not saying we should be happy with them, just that they are far from being the worst company out there but still they seem to have some of the most rabid haters around, they even rival BFL on that front  Wink

Ok, I get what you're saying.

I'm not so sure about that, I think that was done just to save face.

Yifu owns BitSyncom, LLC. At the bottom of Avalon-asics.com (after being updated numerous times since Yifu's supposed dismissal is a copyright notice:   

Copyright © 2012 - 2014 Avalon Project, BitSyncom LLC

Copyrighted for BitSyncom LLC through the year 2014. The year was updated to 2014. If BitSyncom is truly not involved with the project anymore then why is his company still listed in the Copyright?

If he had truly left and it was under different hands I would expect it to read:

Copyright © 2012 - 2014 Avalon Project, Some other company here

or

Copyright © 2012 - 2013 Avalon Project, BitSyncom LLC
Copyright © 2013 - 2014 Avalon Project, Some other company here

Again, this website has been updated numerous times since Yifu supposedly left the company.

He is on paper but he's not responded to the teams emails in months and months. As I said, the only people left (and running this company now) are the engineers, with little money. Yifu ran off to to work with the government about anonymity and took the millions with him.

He is the founder but he isn't the only owner.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: