Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:47:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux based OS and scrypt mining  (Read 253 times)
YuSoDum (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 12:30:00 PM

I'm tired of the issues associated with windows and I'm tinkering around with some scrypt algo coins such as NENG, etc...

What linux based OS are you guys/gals using for GPU scrypt mining?

MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 06:42:34 PM

As ASIC is the territory of the Scrypt algorithm so there won't be any pre-fabricated Linux distros available which will support it out-of-box for GPUs.
Anyway, you can pick any mining oriented Linux distros such as
Simplemining OS
Hive OS (Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2350786.0)
nvOC for Nvidia (my personal favourite, Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5129295.0)
and install the required miner for the same.

If not the above, just do a barebone Ubuntu installation, install drivers, download miner and start hashing.
YuSoDum (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 10:05:51 PM

Yes I'm aware of the profit scenario. I'm just tinkering around with some lesser known coins.
Ive tried linux mint/ubuntu in the past, as well as hive OS (no luck with scrypt mining with hive) and mmpos.eu as well.
I appreciate the feedback - moonlanders have peaked my interest...Good and valid point I havent mined scrypt in a few years lol, about the time of the first USB bitcoin miners and the good ole 10gh blades..
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2019, 11:27:03 AM

I'm tired of the issues associated with windows and I'm tinkering around with some scrypt algo coins such as NENG, etc...

What issues with Windows are you talking about?

Ironically, lots of people use Windows as a mining platform because it's much easier to use compared to going command line with linux. Depending on your familiarity with linux, you are probably better off addressing those issues with Windows instead of migrating to a whole new platform.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
YuSoDum (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 04:52:08 PM

Yes I have AIOminer Smiley

Well we just moved and my rig was offline for a month due to our internet provider....So I just got it set back up and trying to mine, it was acting up a little before we moved...

2 rx480 and 2 rx570
older biostar motherboard/4gig ram
hp 1200 server psu for the gpus
corsair 850 for the motherboard and pci risers

I had issues with random blue screens and rebooting with the famous atisys message, so i ended up reinstalling windows and tried a few different drivers with nothing being stable. (Yes using DDU to uninstall drivers)

Now both SGminer and CGminer will only mine on 2 gpus and declares the other 2 sick then dead. then BAM PC shuts off.

Since I replaced the CPU fan awhile back I thought the CPU might be getting hot and causing the pc to turn off - so I replaced the motherboard/cpu/ram. Still the same scenario.

No matter what miner/algo I try it isnt stable and randomly reboots and cuts off. BUT it runs folding @ home with absolutely no issues on all 4 gpus..

So two days ago i updated to the latest AMD drivers to see if it would help, now its worse - display goes out after a few minutes of turning the rig on. Even switching GPUS to different slots with the same result.

My next step would be to try linux perhaps again, then approach the power supplies - they are older units...I dont have a meter to see power draw..
MATHReX

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 07:14:46 PM

Did you flash modified bios in your cards?
After updating the drivers, did you patch it using ATI Pixel Clock Patcher for AMD?

I'll recommend removing two cards which are not working and then trying with just the two cards. After they work fine, then cycling it with the remaining ones.
YuSoDum (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 10:18:07 PM

I did awhile back then reverted back to stock bios. Still get code 43 oddly enough, yep patched with pixelpatcher...
MATHReX

View Profile
October 05, 2019, 05:36:09 AM

I did awhile back then reverted back to stock bios. Still get code 43 oddly enough, yep patched with pixelpatcher...

I'm sure that the original bios that you flashed is not proper.
My 4x RX580 and 2x RX570 are bricked because of this. You can check my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5181747.msg52358708#msg52358708

Just try flashing the modified bios again and you will see that code 43 error is gone. It is related to bios, so an improper one will prompt with this error.
YuSoDum (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2019, 05:31:42 PM

I'm sure that the original bios that you flashed is not proper.
My 4x RX580 and 2x RX570 are bricked because of this. You can check my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5181747.msg52358708#msg52358708

Just try flashing the modified bios again and you will see that code 43 error is gone. It is related to bios, so an improper one will prompt with this error.

It's the bios i read from the cards before flashing, so I'm sure its the correct one. I'm not worried about that issue-that's what pixelpatcher is for.

I switched to mmpos and so far no issues..But im also pulling 200w less with what im mining. It would be windows - could still be a power supply issue...
JFoxOne

Activity: 640
Merit: 56

minerstat

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 06:49:51 PM

What issues with Windows are you talking about?

Ironically, lots of people use Windows as a mining platform because it's much easier to use compared to going command line with linux. Depending on your familiarity with linux, you are probably better off addressing those issues with Windows instead of migrating to a whole new platform.

Command line? You can use literally any capable Linux based mining OS today and manage it remotely from the dashboard.

YuSoDum (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

I reinstalled windows AND have hive os on a flash drive. SO far so good - well after replacing one bad riser...My last attempt at updating AMD drivers really screwed up my windows install apparently.

I did debloat windows and ran a few scripts to disable a lot of what I need this time, such as windows update and cortana/etc...

Thank you everyone for your input!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: