Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:48:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Holders Protection  (Read 363 times)
coinward (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 06:03:24 PM

In the US some non-banks are getting into savings account game. Robin Hood, a mobile app for stock trading, created buzz about a project offering 3% interest. It offered no FDIC protection however and has yet fully launch. Wealthfront and Betterment have been offering ~2% interest rate as leading 'high yield" savings accounts. Credit Karma announced this week that they will be joining the fray offering a ~2% interest savings account with industry-leading $5M in FDIC protection.

These are not banks. Technology is already eating up banks and governments around the world are clearly conscious of the fact they won't be able to maintain faith in their national currencies while increasing money supply to bail out failed banks time and time again. We are now seeing the FDIC extend coverage to non-banks that do not have the intention to ever become a bank. What cannot go on forever won't.

My hypothesis is that a primary hurdle that keeps people from seeing bitcoin as an option for their savings strategy is the learning curve with safe storage combined with a lack of consumer protection offerings for those that are willing to sacrifice their financial liberties for custodial security. This market segment includes early majority and late majority adopters. I understand Bitgo has tackled this problem set to some effect and seems established as an industry leader. Some other interesting teams are looking to nail down custody as a service, so I feel there is some validation here.

In searching for solutions that might convince people that see this as a fatal flaw for Bitcoin, I thought about dao projects that we've seen rolled out with varying levels of success and blazing flames of failure. A dao could be the perfect format for a FDICesque organization that allows holders to pay a small premium for btc protection. Without the shareholder profit prerogative the dao would be able to offer the most competitive combination of high limits for protections and low premium costs.

What are the other solutions you've turned to or are excited about?

Cheers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 06:15:08 PM

Can you protect a piece of paper with 12 words written to it better than a third party entity yes or no? If yes, you don't need any other (State/Private) protection gimmicks.

If no, go place it in a bank vault and pay the monthly fee to have it secured. At least you are forcing that bank to play by full reserve rules, without they even knowing it.

Banks by themselves are not evil, its the current version of banking, under fractional reserve that is more akin to a ponzi scheme that is.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Mandoy

Activity: 644
Merit: 264

Aurox

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 12:08:07 PM

It is the same story. These non-banks that are playing banks and are accepting deposit, they are called bank-like organizations they exist in cooperatives in remittance centers and others financial management businesses. But even though people are getting into non-banks , these entities or non-banks are still depositing their collected money on the banks. This means that it is an old story with only new characters. In terms of Bitcoin, those entities have no effect at all to the cryptocurrency market nor they are related.

Aurox.

Designed to make
you money
|Proprietary Indicators
& Signals
|||                  ▄██▄▄▄▄▄
                ▄████████▀█▄▀
            ▄▄██████████▀
           ██████████▀██
          ███████████▄▄ ▄▄
         ██████████████ ▀▀█▄
     ▄▄████████████▀▄█▀   ▀▀
▄▀▀ ███████████▀▀▀ ██▀
▀▄▄▀ ██████▀ ▄▄
      ████▀ ██▀
     ███▀  █▀
     ▄█▌  ▐█▌
     ▀██   ▀▀
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████   ████

Get Started. FREE!
██   ████   ██████   ████████   ██████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 01:15:14 PM

Bitcoin holders unfortunately will never be completely safe
Same for people with traditional investments like savings accounts - there have been cases that have caused those people to lose their money as well, due to the trust your placing into a 3rd party entity. Hell, even if you have your money in a savings account, the interest rates are usually not enough to cover regular inflation!

With bitcoin at least we have full control over everything, and we are responsible for everything - not a 3rd party that may or may not have your best interests in heart.

Bitcoininvestment

Activity: 244
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 01:17:56 PM

Can you protect a piece of paper with 12 words written to it better than a third party entity yes or no? If yes, you don't need any other (State/Private) protection gimmicks.

If no, go place it in a bank vault and pay the monthly fee to have it secured. At least you are forcing that bank to play by full reserve rules, without they even knowing it.

Banks by themselves are not evil, its the current version of banking, under fractional reserve that is more akin to a ponzi scheme that is.
Bitcoin is a digital money that many people get some income and also a profit that we can use to answer our daily finance. To make secured in your bitcoin because there are to many scammer that wants to get your money.The another way to keep your money is banking system. We also need the old transaction and banking system.

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 02:50:40 PM

My hypothesis is that a primary hurdle that keeps people from seeing bitcoin as an option for their savings strategy is the learning curve with safe storage combined with a lack of consumer protection offerings for those that are willing to sacrifice their financial liberties for custodial security.

something like this is only suitable for those people who are either opposed to change or are incapable of changing so they tend to try and stick to their old ways (handing over their money and control to a centralized entity).
but the thing is, such people don't even come near bitcoin because it is scary to them due to all the differences it has. i am not even sure if they deserve to own any bitcoin though. people come to bitcoin when they want financial sovereignty otherwise they are better off with banks and fiat.

There is a FOMO brewing...
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 03:42:12 PM

In the US some non-banks are getting into savings account game. Robin Hood, a mobile app for stock trading, created buzz about a project offering 3% interest. It offered no FDIC protection however and has yet fully launch. Wealthfront and Betterment have been offering ~2% interest rate as leading 'high yield" savings accounts. Credit Karma announced this week that they will be joining the fray offering a ~2% interest savings account with industry-leading $5M in FDIC protection.

These are not banks. Technology is already eating up banks and governments around the world are clearly conscious of the fact they won't be able to maintain faith in their national currencies while increasing money supply to bail out failed banks time and time again. We are now seeing the FDIC extend coverage to non-banks that do not have the intention to ever become a bank. What cannot go on forever won't.

My hypothesis is that a primary hurdle that keeps people from seeing bitcoin as an option for their savings strategy is the learning curve with safe storage combined with a lack of consumer protection offerings for those that are willing to sacrifice their financial liberties for custodial security. This market segment includes early majority and late majority adopters. I understand Bitgo has tackled this problem set to some effect and seems established as an industry leader. Some other interesting teams are looking to nail down custody as a service, so I feel there is some validation here.

In searching for solutions that might convince people that see this as a fatal flaw for Bitcoin, I thought about dao projects that we've seen rolled out with varying levels of success and blazing flames of failure. A dao could be the perfect format for a FDICesque organization that allows holders to pay a small premium for btc protection. Without the shareholder profit prerogative the dao would be able to offer the most competitive combination of high limits for protections and low premium costs.

Cheers

I am actually getting surprised here that people are taking money out of the bank because of the benefit of 2% where the place I am currently resident, what would come as an incentive is within the range of 10% and 15% as against the 5% to 7% banks are giving on saving deposits but really people should be further encouraged to save money and the incentive should be something to be on the high side. The reason for that for me is due to the fact that in an established economy and advanced economy a whole lot of people have been captured into the banking net while lots of transactions have equally been captured.

The solution, for me, is no solution. Its good that interest rates are low, it further put some entrepreneurship spirit in the minds of people to better utilise their funds rather than keeping or saving thinking its going to make them rich. I would prefer to be in that economy rather than this. Crypto as a solution, I would agree what is lacking is the customer protection because investing in crypto is opening up to risk which no one is ready to subsidize for you and that is a turn off for many people especially the risk averse individuals.
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 04:01:59 PM

Your hypothesis is definitely on point and true. Most Bitcoin holders are usually scared that their funds can easily be stolen and there is nothing they can do about it since they are solely in charge of the safety of the funds. With this nature of Bitcoin, adoption into the financial mainstream  is very slow. 
target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 04:03:55 PM

BTC Wallet itself act as a bank why do you need to send it to them for protection. You'd be more at ease when you know no corrupt government agencies will ask you to pay for depositing your own money. And they allow mobile app for stock trading to take part of thier scheme. Its more like FDI-see you later money!

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 11:44:57 PM

What's the point of operating it as a DAO? After all, this model boils down to trust-based dynamics anyway -- custodians must be vetted and trusted not to defraud the insurance corporation.

If profit motive is what you're trying to avoid, why not aim for a nonprofit insurance association? That way, custodians could pool their risk together instead of hiring for-profit insurance companies at higher premiums.

Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 05, 2019, 01:25:10 AM

Bitcoin is a digital money that many people get some income and also a profit that we can use to answer our daily finance. To make secured in your bitcoin because there are to many scammer that wants to get your money.The another way to keep your money is banking system. We also need the old transaction and banking system.
This is a bit of a useless post - he's talking about the interest rates that savings accounts offer, and what benefits there are from holding BTC compared to the benefits of having regular savings account and just keeping money in it.

Cheers

I am actually getting surprised here that people are taking money out of the bank because of the benefit of 2% where the place I am currently resident, what would come as an incentive is within the range of 10% and 15% as against the 5% to 7% banks are giving on saving deposits but really people should be further encouraged to save money and the incentive should be something to be on the high side. The reason for that for me is due to the fact that in an established economy and advanced economy a whole lot of people have been captured into the banking net while lots of transactions have equally been captured.

The solution, for me, is no solution. Its good that interest rates are low, it further put some entrepreneurship spirit in the minds of people to better utilise their funds rather than keeping or saving thinking its going to make them rich. I would prefer to be in that economy rather than this. Crypto as a solution, I would agree what is lacking is the customer protection because investing in crypto is opening up to risk which no one is ready to subsidize for you and that is a turn off for many people especially the risk averse individuals.
I agree - in the place I live, interest rates are pretty low and it actually barely covers the inflation that happens every year, and due to this, people need to be smart about how they keep their money, whether it would be in real estate, or cryptocurrencies, or actually using it.

CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 09:42:26 AM

There is no question that there are a lot of people who are looking for another option for their saved money maybe giving them a little more than what traditional banks can offer. Hence, what Robinhood is offering may eventually a big hit and will of course encourage other entities to offer similar programs. But these people failed to get it that Bitcoin can be offering the best and most profitable way to grow their assets and at the same time being a part of the digital and financial revolution. As far as Bitcoin is concern, I think what we really need is a good campaign for this cryptocurrency the only problem is that Bitcoin is decentralized hence it has no marketing team that can help spread more about facts and the potential that Bitcoin has. So far, we are relying on sporadic mainstream media mentions and of course the word-of-mouth people are doing especially in social media platforms. But why there can be people who are afraid to take Bitcoin? In my view, it can primarily be because of its volatility which new entrants may find beyond their taste to accept and manage with.
poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2019, 10:07:31 AM

... i am not even sure if they deserve to own any bitcoin though. people come to bitcoin when they want financial sovereignty otherwise they are better off with banks and fiat.
I'm willing to assure you, they don't. Funny thing is that they know it.
Mentality of a slave is the worst, while one dos not comes to self realisation of it. At some subconscious level, people that are afraid of any investments, know that it's not for them, they wont be able to endure the risk phase and most importantly, they know that having bigger amount of cash will drive them to overspending and eventually to bankruptcy. So they avoid it.
And I think it's a good thing, none ever truly is and the moment clever people realised this, welfare-state was born.
Self keeping always going to be a better option because nobody accept yourself really cares about your well-being.
Besides holder "protection" schemes have to much possibility of backfiring and depriving thousands of their goods. 

Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 5635

Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2019, 10:25:07 AM

If someone is incapable of protecting their private key or seed, then they should have nothing to do at all with cryptocurrency. But being your own bank is not easy at all, therefore, the vast majority opts for a lighter solution, and that entails great risk. I always say that people should learn from other people's mistakes, and in 10 years of Bitcoin, there are countless examples of this.

People are too used to others taking care of everything, especially their money, but crypto is trying to change that. There is no bank or any institution whom I would trust to guard mine coins, even on hardware wallet I don't consider them completely safe.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 10:31:50 AM

I don't think it would be efficient for a company to offer interest for Bitcoins , holding Bitcoins might cause a great deal of trouble for the so call Bitcoins banks since they would actually be in losses 90% of the time , everyone knows that the highs are not that frequent therefore I think it won't be a good thing , maybe these things are just a scam and nothing else , one should refrain from adding their money in accounts like these , well I am myself interested to know how this interest system works ..

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
legok

Activity: 230
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2019, 11:01:56 AM

totally agree...!!! it is a step that must be realized for all bitcoin holders in order to get security and have guarantees from hackers and bitcoin thieves .... it must also be addressed by the legal system in force in each country, because each country has its own legal policies .. Even many countries do not have a legal umbrella policy for bitcoin holders.
AverageGlabella
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 11:07:11 AM

Yes they will. You're your own protection and you make it as good or bad at your discretion. You can make your money even more secure than banks if you would like too because there are multiple ways a bank can lose money. Banks invest your money and have the potential to lose it this has caused banks in the past to go bankrupt. The banks can be robbed and the key difference between you being robbed and the bank is people know that banks have money but you can keep the fact that you own Bitcoin a secret.
uray

Activity: 1400
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 01:20:57 PM

You cannot trust a third person to protect your coins and the safest option is to have complete authority of your coin where you hold the private key, the concept of bitcoin is to have complete control over your financials without the help of a third person to safe guard your wealth and if you are not capable enough to safe guard and look for a third person to take care of that basic thing, then you are not capable to hold bitcoin.
yazher

Activity: 2184
Merit: 585

You own the pen

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 01:50:05 PM

This is recommended for the investors who are not able to protect themselves from the hackers cause they only  have a little knowledge about the blockchain technology.
this service is a must for them. actually this is a good service to make it easy for them to secure their crypto assets. As for the people who are knowledgeable enough to protect their crypto assets, this service will no longer needed by them.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 02:23:50 PM

This is recommended for the investors who are not able to protect themselves from the hackers cause they only  have a little knowledge about the blockchain technology.
this service is a must for them. actually this is a good service to make it easy for them to secure their crypto assets. As for the people who are knowledgeable enough to protect their crypto assets, this service will no longer needed by them.

In my opinion, No one is really safe when you hold Bitcoin it is always prone to hackers and fraudulent things that are online, I am not judging their service because I don't have any experience in using it, but if it is online it is always prone in getting hacked, if you would think about exchange getting rob by hackers, All services online can become victims and I think there is no 100% perfect technology there will always this flaw that can be expose.

I think there is cold storage that is 100% offline that is really safe for storing cryptocurrency.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: